Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Ratings: 2,545 |  Reviews: 1,145
4.59/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours a solid copper with a thick white head that immediately dissipates to nothing. Visibly well carbonated.

Aroma is feint of caramel, must, and just a touch of German hops. I don’t find any toast.

Taste is not a let down for me.there arent bad things happening here. It’s just that there isn’t much at all going on here. Grainy with a floral finish but almost entirely lacking in toast and not sweet enough.

Mouthfeel: Light and aggressively carbonated. Clean and crisp.

Drinkability: Very high. Goes down like a light beer.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

let me start first with this, the beer is great I always like Spaten products, the beer as a pleasant smell, it drinks very well, the after taste reminds me of EKU 28, the mouth feel is like mild sweet with a chery after taste ( like EKU 28), it is a good beer, I could not fingd it at the store I bought it from, but did find it at an other :-) ....

4.56/5  rDev +28.1%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

4.54/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +27%

I went out to one of the local wing joints after work with some friends, and I was pleasantly surprised to see this on tap among the forest of BMC tap handles. The waitress asked if I wanted the pint glass or the big glass....I just looked at her and said..."what do you think?" Hooray for 1liter heavy glass mugs! I felt like I was in Munich...if they served chicken wings in the O-fest tents instead of sausage.

A - Deep orange and very clear with a 1/2 finger head that recedes quickly to a collar, Thin wet lacing sticks to the glass. The 1/2 finger head comes right back from the dead after a good swirl.

S - Rich and clean malty scent, very "to style." Clean and clear malts that remind me of a good german pils, but with a little more depth. I want to say that it smells a bit like carrot cake.

T - My thoughts at first sip: WOW!!! This is friggin' good! Deep and rich with clean malts but at the same time very quenching with a nice hop dryness at the finish. Sweet caramel and spice notes too. This tastes excellent! Just about my favorite O-fest ever.

M - Mouthfeel is light, but creamy with low carbonation levels. Could be thicker, but not bad at all. Clean and crisp. Cleaner than the bottled version.

D - This festy is very drinkable and pleasant if a little bit lacking in complexity. But, fest beers are all about celebration and just enjoying the fall weather, and for the season I couldn't ask for more. This is my favorite oktoberfest brew so far! Great stuff...especially when quaffed in large quantities from a heavy 1 liter mug!

4.52/5  rDev +27%

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last reviewer. While unimpressed with recent Spaten Ok/Ur vintages, this one is seriously worth another try. Very, very drinkable. Round, malty, with just enough hop at the end to make you want more. I don't know what it is but this year's batch tastes DARN close to fresh Munchen amber heaven. I recommend you re-try this one.

4.52/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is what Oktoberfest beer / Marzen should taste like. All other breweries take note! This is just about as authentic as it gets.

Poured from bottle to glass. Color is a dark copper. Minimal off white head. Smell and taste both of caramel and bready malts. It's like fall in a glass! This is a wonderful beer. Enough said.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

Good Oktoberfest bier, but not my favorite.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu