Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Reviews: 1,133 | Ratings: 2,505
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Darker than expected, almost like an English Brown Ale. 1/2 inch soapy white head. Good lacing that refused to leave the sides of the glass. Good head retention down to the last sip.

Smell: Strong honey and grain odors. Sweet malt. The smell really got me excited for this beer.

Taste: The honey comes through nicely. Sweet malt. Amazing cool crisp finish. The finish is very complex and long lasting.

Mouth-feel: Perfect carbonation which is a rare thing to find in this style of beer (at least for me).

Overall: A very nice well rounded brew. Not the best of the style I've ever tried, but far better than many others I have had. If you have a chance to try this beer it is definitely worth ordering. I do not think I would go out of my way to find this beer again though.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark copper with a thick head...maybe about 2 fingers thick that dissipates a bit. There is also a lot of carbonation happening here. As I drank this beer down there was evidence of lacing.

The smell was very yeasty, spicy yeast. I also picked up the scent of pumpkin. Cinnamon was there too. The malt smelled sweet.

My first impression was the tiny kick that I got quite quickly. I didn't really notice the malt too much and the hops are there but didn't seem like they affected the drink. Very good balance.

Light but with a little caramel texture.

Very good beer for what it is. I will for sure be drinking these next year for Oktoberfest!

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark orange-amber with a thin, but fluffy head that quickly becomes a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing.

S: Euro-lagery aroma with some sweeter malt notes

T: Rather sweet, with some notes of bread and butterscotch, and a slight hop crispness.

M: Somewhat thin; the flavors register, but don't feel very substantial.

D: Could use a little more carbonation, as it feels somewhat thin, and yet too sweet. Not a bad beer by any means, just not one I'd go out of my way to find.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a pint glass. 1.5 finger head, dark amberish body. Some lacing
S- Pretty boring. Bready. With minimal hops.
T- Slightly more interesting. A minimal mouth feel with more bready flavor. Ever-so-slightly hoppy on the finish.

Overall- A very commercial and rather uninteresting Oktoberfest.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

I think my favorite Oktoberfest beer! Not just based on taste though. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy this beer's taste. Most of the time. Like anything that comes from Munich, it's been on a boat for a while. So some time it's great because it just got off the boat. Other times you can tell it's been on the boat. But it's not over priced, and it's worth the extra for an "import." A lot of American breweries make a decent Oktoberfest beer, but there's something about a real Munich brewed beer during Oktoberfest. Or it could be the fact that my Dad's Spaten Oktoberfest 1968 mug was in view of my crib. . .

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a bronze chestnut with less than a finger of white head. Head doesn't stick around, lacing is mediocre. Looks over carbonated.

S- Dough, toffee, caramel. Slight yeast funk.

T- Caramel takes the lead with a nice breadiness backing it up. Just the slightest hint of hops, which come through pretty floral and grassy.

M- Medium to light bodied. Lots of carbonation, pretty crisp in the mouth. Alcohol is practically unnoticable.

O- Not my favorite o-fest but definitely a tasty brew worth trying.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

I honestly cannot understand why this beer didn't get better reviews. I had this beer on-tap which may be a reason why and having it with a hearty German meal consisting of wild boar may also have had an impact. Honestly though, I found this beer to be extremely good. It was not really the style that I expected it to be, however. It pours an amber-brownish color. The taste and smell give you an idea of what the beer is like. Caramel and malt are very evident in this beer. It is not as thick as one would expect and goes down very smooth. This beer was extremely drinkable and I could see myself indulging in many of them the next time I see it available.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

It poured a clear copper-like with a small off-white head which disappeared quite fast.
It had quite a floral nose with notes of caramel and honey on the palate. A little semi-sweet finish with a good drinkability. Quite nice.
I had this one with deer sausage in gravy over rice - I am in Louisiana! - and this went quite well!!

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Here it is mid-November and I'm just getting to my first Oktoberfest. The pour turns up a finger-width's worth of foam on top of a bronze beer. The nose detects a moderately strong barley malt and hops presence, with hops being the more dominant. First taste causes an involuntary cough; but it's not the beer's fault. The taste has some bitter notes, but is nice. It has a slightly bittery hoppy finish. This one looks better than it tastes, but it does taste nice.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Consumed during mammoth Oktoberfest beer tasting.

A - orangey yellow, solid white head. It looked like a cliche beer picture.
S - Definitely skunked, the green bottle being the likely culprit. The bottle was purchased at Nikki's Liquors in Providence, RI, and i assume that they have above average bottle handling...
T - Skunky! And a much too similar to helles end of the spectrum than the punchy hops and deep malt of the typical Oktoberfest. Definitely a beer constructed for high volume intake.
M - I believe it was a bit creamier that anticipated, but it still had a carbonation tingle that i expect of a lighter bodied version of the Marzen style.
D - Without the skunking, the presentation alone says 'drink me! i am festbier!' But as it was skunked and out of place on a Rhode Island kitchen table surrounded by superior competition, it does not find success in this area.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a frothy rich almond brown with good clarity and a two finger head. Retention and lace are modest, but the film held on.

It's nice having that German lager skunkiness hiding behind a malt bomb like this, it just brings that dash of bitterness in that I like in an otherwise malt heavy beer. Toasted crackers, sweet spice, and caramel balance sweet and roasty nicely.

The flavor has a nice balance, blending the toasty grains and caramel with the green beer character. It's got an earthy clean finish that's right where it's gotta be to go down all night drama free.

Creamy and robust, the feel is excellent. The carbonation is spot on; it adds just enough crispness while retaining it's extraordinary smoothness. It's amazing how easy to drink these are in large quantities, especially at an Oktoberfest when my belly is full of brats and kraut. They just have the ability to methodically go down like bottles of beer on the wall.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber. Head leaves frothy lace as it subsides.
Smell: Bread, alfalfa, sweet malts
Taste: Strong malt sweetness. Crisp, mildly citrus hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, high carbonation
Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, from ice cold all the way to room temp.

Verdict: Certainly not the most complex beer ever, but it's got enough going on to merit drinking on its own, rather than just using it to wash down some brats.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

I can't understand why there's so many lukewarm reviews for this beer.... This is one of the helped define the style! I've noticed reviewers on this site favor newer extreme beers to the more subtle classics (Pilsner Urquell has a B rating, B- from the Brothers - there wouldn't be Pilsner beer without Pilsner Urquell!) and that's their prerogative but I'm going to give some of the greats the respect they deserve starting with Spaten Oktoberfest. The nose is dry and malty the color a perfect copper. The taste is malty with but with enough bitterness to make it slightly drier and more quaffable then many oktoberfests. Perfect for a pleasant fall day.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - AM

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Excellent copper color, with a pale tan head that reduces to a creamy top.

S: Very floral and grainy aroma. Caramel and chocolate linger afterwards. There is also some citrus near the back end.

T: Creamy, sweet taste hits up front. Not bitter, but some hop flavors come through in this beer. Orange citrus flavor adds a good compliment to the sweetness.

M: Very creamy. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish.

O: I love marzens, and I'm usually critical of them if they don't pass. This is a great marzen.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

As far as Oktoberfests go this is definitely one of the better ones out there, but in general Im not the biggest fan of them although I do like to modify preferences with the seasons (even though here in LA it is difficult to differentiate one season from the other). Anyhoot, It has a beautiful coppery color, and is rather full-bodied in comparison to other Oktoberfests. It ain't the Optimator, but its definitely a good brew.

3.86/5  rDev +8.4%

Yes kids, it's oktober again. Everybody grab a mug of your favorite marzen. Overall, I was happy with this beer. It's pretty middle-of-the-road but very tasty and drinkable.

Maybe the bottles were sitting in my car for too long, or maybe I used a dirty glass, but I thought this one smelled terrible. Not much to look at either. Taste however was a different story. This one went down very smooth and delicious. Lots of bready flavor and not much else. Just a bare _hint_ of bitterness as it warms up. I would recommend this as an everyday drinking beer. It's too bad they don't serve it year round.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Great amber color with a decent, creamy colored head with some lacing. Carbonation is just about right - not too punchy but not bland either. Good hop and malt mixture. Alcohol registers a 5.9% which makes this a great beer for partaking in multiples. AND the price is decent - local L. store had it featured for $9.95 per 12. It's so good it tastes like another. Think I'll have one...

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours amber with an inch head. Nice smell of malts and spices. It was nice to have an Octoberfest in February but would prefer to have one from Great Lakes, Old Dominion or Sam Adams. Overall a nice Marzen. Nice break from my usual IPA or APA. I will look forward to a Marzen in September.

4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

Decided to buy this beer in a 1/2 keg for something different. I have enjoyed the regular Spaten numerous times and thought I would try the Octoberfest brew for the holidays.

Taps an amber color with a nice head that dissapates in a few minutes. The taste is smooth and enjoyable and not too heavy.

It is really an enjoyable beer and would recommend it to anyone. My friends and family will enjoy it when they come to visit.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

I tried this due to the fact I love most oktoberfests. While this isn't bad to me, its not one I would buy a 24-case of.

A- I'm a fan of the Spaten bottling. The blue/white checkered flag is swanky I suppose. Pours with a relatively small head, nothing crazy.
S- Smelled fairly sweet.
T- I kept tasting grapes. Along with that, maltiness.
M- Aside from a grape taste, the carbonation really impacted the flavor. It wasn't overdone, but when compared to Spaten's other beers (like Optimator), its overpowering to me.
O- Overall, I think its ok. I'm a bigger fan of some of the American takes on Oktoberfest Marzen's. That's just me though, so understand that.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured this from the bottle into my air-dried beer mug. Head was fluffy but dissipated rather quickly. Copper color to it. Citrus aromas. Goes down very smooth. Texture is thin and light. Tastings of wheat and barley. Well worth the money for the sampling.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours from the bottle a dark amber color with a nice off-white head that slowly dissapates to some nice lacing. Has a nice hoppy smell to it with a hint of roasted smell. Has for me a just right mouth-feel that goes down pretty good. Does leave a after-taste that is'nt too bad though.

For me this is a very tasty October-fest style beer and I'll be definitely getting more; if only it was'nt so expensive. But hey, good beer is worth it!!!

4.45/5  rDev +25%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

1.84/5  rDev -48.3%

Oktoberfestbeir Ur-Marzen
120oz bottle
Standard Pint Glass

A - Copper towards the center, pale ale gold towards the perimeter. Clear in appearance, one finger of a white head.

S - Smell is tough, not a lot to it, faint malt

T - Muted carmel and bready malts. Weak Hops. You know what? This beer is skunked. Thank you, green bottle...

M - Decent carbonation, touch warming at the end. Skunkiness makes it regrettable at most.

D - Skunkiness ruined this bottle, don't know how it skunked as I took it out of the store at night. Sigh. I would like to try this on tap somewhere and give it one more opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Gold/copper color with a 1 finger head that hangs around for a bit. Slight lacing.

S: Mostly grains with a slight caramel sweetness.

T: A bit more sweetness in the flavor, but not overly. Works well w/the grainy/bready flavors. Not much alcohol. Great balance.

M: Light carbonation, medium body.

O: I thought this was pretty darn good. Very drinkable and almost gulp-able. I drank a liter mug full at a nearby biergarten and wasn't over it by the time I was done. Maybe not my top choice for an Oktoberfest but I'd def. buy/drink again.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu