Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Reviews: 1,118 | Ratings: 2,430
3.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber. Head leaves frothy lace as it subsides.
Smell: Bread, alfalfa, sweet malts
Taste: Strong malt sweetness. Crisp, mildly citrus hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, high carbonation
Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, from ice cold all the way to room temp.

Verdict: Certainly not the most complex beer ever, but it's got enough going on to merit drinking on its own, rather than just using it to wash down some brats.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

I can't understand why there's so many lukewarm reviews for this beer.... This is one of the classics...it helped define the style! I've noticed reviewers on this site favor newer extreme beers to the more subtle classics (Pilsner Urquell has a B rating, B- from the Brothers - there wouldn't be Pilsner beer without Pilsner Urquell!) and that's their prerogative but I'm going to give some of the greats the respect they deserve starting with Spaten Oktoberfest. The nose is dry and malty the color a perfect copper. The taste is malty with but with enough bitterness to make it slightly drier and more quaffable then many oktoberfests. Perfect for a pleasant fall day.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - AM

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Excellent copper color, with a pale tan head that reduces to a creamy top.

S: Very floral and grainy aroma. Caramel and chocolate linger afterwards. There is also some citrus near the back end.

T: Creamy, sweet taste hits up front. Not bitter, but some hop flavors come through in this beer. Orange citrus flavor adds a good compliment to the sweetness.

M: Very creamy. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish.

O: I love marzens, and I'm usually critical of them if they don't pass. This is a great marzen.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Ah, as fall begins to near, I find myself thinking of the Octoberfest offerings - yum!! I tried one a little early this year.

Since the state of Georgia (otherwise known as the state of confusion) has a goofy set of laws that allow the beer distributors to do about anything (including not allowing certain beers into the state) they please, we do not see much of anything other than all the hops-overloaded "sweetwater" and other such "craft" offerings. Um, can we please get some actual beer in GA??? Not much of a chance. Especially not good German beers.

Then, I walked into a small store ("bottle shop" in GA) and found - YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!! - a six pack of Paulaner Octoberfest!!!! I bought it and snuck it home in a basket covered in laundry (in case the local powers stopped me because I had such a large smile on my face) so no one would know. It was great to actually taste beer again in this backwater state, with its 1752-era style laws, in the SE USA. Then, since I have found a little hops to be a good thing, I decided to try an Octoberfest I had seen at another store - Spaten's offering.

It has a great beer aroma, good beer color and pours a nice head in a glass glass that holds beer that is liquid. There , is everyone happy I have stated the obvious?? This Octoberfest had a great taste. There was enough hops to offer a contrast in its taste. The nice smooth maltiness and the very slight, sharpness of the hops. Wonderful!! I recall the Weihenstephaner and Krombacher beers have the same beautiful complement of tastes. Not 175% hops like sweetwater and not the liquid bread taste of Warsteiner Dunkel. This is a great beer!! The only issue I have with it is the green bottle. This beer had a noticeable sour aftertaste. Not bad, but it is there. No doubt. I prefer brown bottles and have never had the same sour aftertaste from a beer in a brown bottle.

This Octoberfest is a good one. Will buy again.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

As far as Oktoberfests go this is definitely one of the better ones out there, but in general Im not the biggest fan of them although I do like to modify preferences with the seasons (even though here in LA it is difficult to differentiate one season from the other). Anyhoot, It has a beautiful coppery color, and is rather full-bodied in comparison to other Oktoberfests. It ain't the Optimator, but its definitely a good brew.

3.86/5  rDev +8.4%

Yes kids, it's oktober again. Everybody grab a mug of your favorite marzen. Overall, I was happy with this beer. It's pretty middle-of-the-road but very tasty and drinkable.

Maybe the bottles were sitting in my car for too long, or maybe I used a dirty glass, but I thought this one smelled terrible. Not much to look at either. Taste however was a different story. This one went down very smooth and delicious. Lots of bready flavor and not much else. Just a bare _hint_ of bitterness as it warms up. I would recommend this as an everyday drinking beer. It's too bad they don't serve it year round.

Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Great amber color with a decent, creamy colored head with some lacing. Carbonation is just about right - not too punchy but not bland either. Good hop and malt mixture. Alcohol registers a 5.9% which makes this a great beer for partaking in multiples. AND the price is decent - local L. store had it featured for $9.95 per 12. It's so good it tastes like another. Think I'll have one...

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours amber with an inch head. Nice smell of malts and spices. It was nice to have an Octoberfest in February but would prefer to have one from Great Lakes, Old Dominion or Sam Adams. Overall a nice Marzen. Nice break from my usual IPA or APA. I will look forward to a Marzen in September.

4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

Decided to buy this beer in a 1/2 keg for something different. I have enjoyed the regular Spaten numerous times and thought I would try the Octoberfest brew for the holidays.

Taps an amber color with a nice head that dissapates in a few minutes. The taste is smooth and enjoyable and not too heavy.

It is really an enjoyable beer and would recommend it to anyone. My friends and family will enjoy it when they come to visit.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

I tried this due to the fact I love most oktoberfests. While this isn't bad to me, its not one I would buy a 24-case of.

A- I'm a fan of the Spaten bottling. The blue/white checkered flag is swanky I suppose. Pours with a relatively small head, nothing crazy.
S- Smelled fairly sweet.
T- I kept tasting grapes. Along with that, maltiness.
M- Aside from a grape taste, the carbonation really impacted the flavor. It wasn't overdone, but when compared to Spaten's other beers (like Optimator), its overpowering to me.
O- Overall, I think its ok. I'm a bigger fan of some of the American takes on Oktoberfest Marzen's. That's just me though, so understand that.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured this from the bottle into my air-dried beer mug. Head was fluffy but dissipated rather quickly. Copper color to it. Citrus aromas. Goes down very smooth. Texture is thin and light. Tastings of wheat and barley. Well worth the money for the sampling.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours from the bottle a dark amber color with a nice off-white head that slowly dissapates to some nice lacing. Has a nice hoppy smell to it with a hint of roasted smell. Has for me a just right mouth-feel that goes down pretty good. Does leave a after-taste that is'nt too bad though.

For me this is a very tasty October-fest style beer and I'll be definitely getting more; if only it was'nt so expensive. But hey, good beer is worth it!!!

4.45/5  rDev +25%

This is one of those classic German lagers that are designed to be drunk all day long. It combines a light malty flavor and light noble hop flavor to create a highly drinkable product.

It pours a light brown color. The smell and initial taste are of burnt Munich malt, but in a good way. I love beers made with decoction mashing! The malt flavor is wonderful and is properly balanced with the hops. It goes down lager-smooth and there is no hint of alcohol. I'm so happy this brew is sold by the case and appears at my local Costco every fall. I feel that if beers like this were more widely available to the average BMC drinker, we would see a massive shift away from brewers chruning out yellow fizzy water and see more exploration of this style.

1.84/5  rDev -48.3%

Spaten
Oktoberfestbeir Ur-Marzen
120oz bottle
Standard Pint Glass

09/23/10

A - Copper towards the center, pale ale gold towards the perimeter. Clear in appearance, one finger of a white head.

S - Smell is tough, not a lot to it, faint malt

T - Muted carmel and bready malts. Weak Hops. You know what? This beer is skunked. Thank you, green bottle...

M - Decent carbonation, touch warming at the end. Skunkiness makes it regrettable at most.

D - Skunkiness ruined this bottle, don't know how it skunked as I took it out of the store at night. Sigh. I would like to try this on tap somewhere and give it one more opportunity.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Gold/copper color with a 1 finger head that hangs around for a bit. Slight lacing.

S: Mostly grains with a slight caramel sweetness.

T: A bit more sweetness in the flavor, but not overly. Works well w/the grainy/bready flavors. Not much alcohol. Great balance.

M: Light carbonation, medium body.

O: I thought this was pretty darn good. Very drinkable and almost gulp-able. I drank a liter mug full at a nearby biergarten and wasn't over it by the time I was done. Maybe not my top choice for an Oktoberfest but I'd def. buy/drink again.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

One of my favorite tasting beers. It looks unlike most other Oktoberfests I've tried, with a lighter color, but it still retains a decent head. It smells very sweet, with an almost fruity candy smell to it. Spaten Oktoberfest was the first Oktoberfest,a nd you can dell it in the taste. It makes all other Oktoberfests pale in comparison, clearly showing everything else is an imitation. Sweet, malty taste, it really embodies the fall in my mind. Mouthfeel is decent, much like most ales. Drinkability is average, seeing as how it is so sweet, it makes it hard to enjoy more than a few at a time. Every time fall comes around, I will look forward to enjoying more of this wonderful brew.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured this beer into a pilsner glass from a bottle. It formed an off-white head that left no lacing from the 1/2" head. It had a faint smell of hops and malt after initial pour, but after a while a slight toasted malt and caramel smell emerged. The taste and mouthfeel can only be described as light. The taste begins bitter and ends smooth. Decent beer, but I can't imagine it standing up to most of the hearty, Bavarian food from its homeland.

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a pours a dark copper color with light finely bubbled foam that dissipates into nothing quickly.
s I suspect I have an old bottle, as it smells a bit skunky and very close to an American macro brew. Malty smell, faint hops.
t much better than it smells, I was concerned it would suck but Spaten comes through again. Nicely malted, not much hops but it is still very rounded and smooth on the palate. Hints of molasses.
M finely carbonated, tingly, tiny bit syrupy.
Very decent beer

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from standard bottle into nonic.

A - Pours a light copper hue with a single finger of lightly foamy head that disappates quickly.

S - Initially with a roasty malt profile, but quickly yeilds a slightly skunky afterscent that is probably the result of the green glass and the fact that it was an individual bottle purchase so had plenty of light exposure instead of being more buried inside a 6/12 pack. The skunkiness is fairly light and not all the offputting, almost seems to compliment the malt a bit.

T - Roasted malts upfront with a bakery yeastiness that follows through to give it a solid overall taste. Very minimal residual hops flavor, certainly not enough to counteract the yeasty sweetness that seems to characterize the backend of the flavor. A little skunkiness in the taste, but as with the scent, seems to compliment the brew decently well (although I'd like to compare it to an on tap version).

M - Light/medium overall body with minimal carbonation and a silky texture.

O - Tasty with an appropriate mouthfeel, but not the greatest offering of the style. Although it has some roasted maltiness, the skunkiness of the green glass can cover it a bit. I'll be looking for a draught version soon to revisit.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Tanish fizzy head. Crystal clear medium amber/dark copper in color. Head dissipates slowly leaving moderate lacing.

S - Spicy malt, hint of banana with some other fruity esters.

T - German malt, hint of banana, rounds out with a slightly toasted nutty flavor and a light bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated, medium body. Starts to leave a thicker feel behind afer half a glass.

D - I like this beer. The lack of bitterness and presence of roasted flavors is nice. I could probably go through a few though.

3.06/5  rDev -14%

A-12 oz. bottle, part of a gift package from a friend. Poured a clear, pale orange color with a rather foamy head which died out fairly fast
S-Leafy aromatics and a hint of toasted grains, though rather musky and dank
T&M-A very smooth tasting beer with a rather watery feel (must be that Alpine water), maybe because of the carbonation present. Leaves a dry, yet sweet, aftertaste in the mouth and on the tongue
D-In comparison to other Octoberfest beers on the market, this one is not that exceptional. In fact, it's quite average, but is it drinkable? Sure. Will I have another? Sure. Would I buy a six-pack? Depends on the occasion...

4.56/5  rDev +28.1%

When I first started drinking different types of beers, this was my first and I liked it so much that I bought a case of it.. It was definately worth it. The beer has the normal german taste to it which can be found in any german beer. I like the beer and I think anyone else who tries it will like it.

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer, once you pop the cap, reminds me of Peroni beer - it has the same bready, yeasty smell on the nose. However, it is heavier, and a bit sweeter - not my liking. I made a session out of this brew, trying to study it from all angles, and since it is a marzen, meaning it is brewed between the months of September through April, I was reminded of how its German heritage really gave it a good quality taste but a head that faints quickly after pour. I was astonished to see the words malt liquor on the label of this beer, and was thoroughly disappointed by this description. It is definitely worthier than the Malt Liquors out there, but hey we can't all be skeptics all the time. Would I try this beer again, maybe, if it was free - There are plenty of German brews to be imbibed, and therefore, I will be seeking a better session than Spaten. Overall ok, but nothing to really implore you to try again.

3.26/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this beer for it's purpose. Drinking in the back yard for the last days of our Colorado, Indian Summer days. This is a beer that well go down easy with just enough body and character to make it a drinking buddy both during the hot day and in the cool evenings. I find it hard to dislike any oktoberfest beer (except haufbrau) since the accompanying season is so spectacular. I don't think I would buy this beer at any other time though.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

My second Oktoberfest of this season.I've done some checking and found that this is the original Marzen , not Hacker-Pschoor as I mistakenly thought.So that being said.Light amber color with an offwhite head , about one half inch that diminishes after about 2 minutes to one eighth with decent lacing.Good balance of malt and hops. Good drinking.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu