Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

3.8

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,621 |  Reviews: 1,168

Poured from the bottle into my Dogfish signature glass.

Poured dark amber in color, which was beautiful, clear, with a 2 finger head that lasted for maybe a minute.

Smell - Just like what an octoberfest should smell like. The malts hit first, with yeast coming in 2nd, reminding me it's a lager. As well as a certain crispness comes across the nose as well.

Taste - Definitely one of the better octoberfest's I've had this year. Nice, light/medium bodied, crisp, flavorful. first sweet malts hit first and dance about the tongue till the dry but welcoming finish.

Mouthfeel - medium, carbonation is great for the style.

Overall - Not a bad octoberfest one bit. I think I would get it again this year, much better than Sam's, that's for sure. I like it!

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Another heady Oktoberfestbier, which gives me an idea for a new beer festival: "Doktoberfest - the Hop lovers beer festival"... my Doktoberfestbier is a 6 Hop affair with a toasted biscuit base and a hint of sour yeastiness... but anyway I'm here to review this beer, not some awesome brew which I just thought of that doesn't even exist [dammit!].

Poured from a real man's 500ml bottle into a real man's Stein, word man.

A: First off - this beer looks really flat, no head to be seen. The body is golden with a hue of Papaya whip (yes I got a colour wheel now!).

S: First whiff is a mixture between base malt grains and rubber... yeah I'm not looking forward to where the rubber odor leads. There are cut grass hops in there with a distinct (if you could call it that) water overtone, this brings it back from the verge of odd and places the aroma profile in the realm of "refreshing lager"... we'll see.

T: And we're back in Marzen territory; lager grains with a slight cloying sweetness and a crisp dry hopped finish. There is a sour yeast note that is much more pronounced than in the Lowenbrau Marzen and the finish is drier, however there is less sweetness here. Overall not bad but I'm not writing home to mum about this (or any beer for that matter - my mum doesn't drink and has zero interest in beer reviews).

M: Not sure if this borders on watery or not - it's a strange allusion with this brew because of the wateriness of the aroma and flavour, however the body is slightly cloying... let's just say that it's lighter than the Lowenbrau.

D: Deciding factor is the flavour with this brew and I think the Lowenbrau Oktoberfest/Marzen shows a bit more finesse. Whereas this beer is taking several wild swings ("Yeast!", "Sugar!", "Dry!", "Crisp!"), Lowenbrau is by comparison "floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee", and to me finesse and style will always defeat brute force.

Food match: German food, yeah that's been established before, what else? German beer is pretty versatile in my opinion; how about a classic porterhouse steak (medium rare) with a side of celeriac mash and carrots braised au jus? Is this beer good enough for a decent meal (aka is it up to the challenge?), well only YOU can answer that question.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Bronze amber with light head. Little retention. Nice carbonation.

S: Malt, apple cider, light caramel.

T: Crisp rich malted grain, caramel, apple, light hops bitterness in the finish.

M: Crisp & clean, good carbonation, smooth.

O: Pretty basic, but very good (IMO) Oktoberfest. This one's better the fresher you get it. It starts losing some of the richer flavors the longer it sits on the shelf.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

A mix of perfume and earthy darkness. Malty with a sharp taste. Some caramel, but quite edgy with the bitter aftertaste. Pale amber orange in the pint glass. Not much lacing, decent mouthful however. Very floral.

The sweet and dirty taste gets old fast. Sweat and incense. I think this is the least pleasant Oktoberfest I've had.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a clear brown body with a creamy white head.

Aroma is faint and was mostly just malty with hints of bread, grains and a little earthyness as well.

Taste is pretty much the same. Nice and malty with hints of roasted grains and breads. A small bit of hop presence but leaves a tiny bitter bite.

Mouthfeel was a bit over carbonated and it leaves a stale like aftertaste. Medium in body and easily drinkable.

Overall its an alright beer. Not my first choice when I'm lookin for a good octoberfest beer but its not at all bad.

2.79/5  rDev -22.9%

A-Pours a very clear reddish brown. Tan head has little staying power, not much for CO2 bubbles.
S-Hint of skunky beer with weak caramel malt aroma. I hate green bottles-all brewers should stop using them. Light degradation of beers from Europe packaged in green bottles never holds up by the time it gets here.
T-Nice upfront sweet toasted malt with a hint of floral hops at end with a little astringent aftertaste.
M-Medium body with moderate effervescence, hops linger.
D-Easy to drink but not a ton of flavor.
O-Not my favorite Marzen but respectable-would love to get some before the skunk sneaks in the bottle. I'm sure this on tap would be a much better experience. Maybe some people actually like skunky beer...Heineken anyone?

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at local pub. Served in pint glass.

Pours a bright amber color from the tap with a big 3 finger head from the over carbonated keg. Smells of pure malts and grains. Really nothing else going on. Taste is somewhat sweet with plums but also a huge malted presence. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation. Overall a decent oktoberfest.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: This beer has a pretty solid appearance. A very clear brown with a (best part of appearance) great creamy and frothy head. The head lingered for a while.

S: This beer has that ubiquitous and famous skunk type smell from the bottle. I have smelled many "world class" beers with this same aroma. It is not unique, not cool, but not foul smelling. Maybe its the green bottles?

T: This taste much better than it smells. It is grainy, husky, and very rich and bready on the palate. It has a stale cigarette type of taste and then yields to a sweet finish.

M: I thought the MF on this beer was a little harsh. The carbonation seems to be sightly overwhelming.

O: This is not a bad Oktoberfest and I would never turn it down, there are other beers I would choose, including other Oktoberfests, if I had some options.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle. Pours light amber with a foamy, white head, nice lacing and carbonation.
Aroma is of hay and hints of caramel. Medium, smooth body. Brady malt, caramel and nice amount of herbal hops fill the mouth. Long balanced finish. This brew will be one of my favorite Oktoberfests.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Dundee Oktoberfest.

A: Clear amber with two-finger, white, foamy head that diminished in a couple of minutes. Pretty good lacing.

S: Sweet grainy malt. Some fruit.

T: Moderate sweetness and moderate bitterness. Strong alcohol flavor.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Crisp and dry. Kind of watery.

O: The taste and mouthfeel was pretty disappointing on this one. I liked the Dundee better.

3.29/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Spaten Oktoberfest is pretty good. The beer pours copper color with an inch of white foam. Some lacing is noted. The smell has a bit of an acidic smell, with a malty scent. I found it kind of bland. The taste is similar to the smell unfortunately. That touch of astringent bite makes this just an odd beer. There is a noted malt flavor and some sweetness. the beer is drinkability is decent. Medium bodied, with minimal carbonation. Overall, surprised this was such an underwhelming Marzen. Price is reasonable but there are much better options for this type.

3.14/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from a 12oz green bottle with no dating into a Duvel tulip. I have had this on tap many times before, but this is the first bottle from which I am reviewing.

A - Looks pretty good. A rigorous pour yields a 3 finger fluffy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Head rests over a clear orange body. No lacing.

S - Eh... I was really disappointed when when I smelt that smell from the bottle. Definitely an imported skunky smell. Something that is not there at all in the draft version. Other than that I can just pick up some dark malts.

T - Also lesser than its draft counterpart, this beer has a very importy green bottle character that just irks me. Once I get past that though, The sweet malts pull through and it has a pretty enjoyable flavor.

M - Light bodied. Perhaps a little overcarbonated.

O - I am going to have to do a 2nd review for this beer next time I have it on tap. It is a completely different experience and this was a disappointing bottle of one of my favorite beers.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Gold/copper color with a 1 finger head that hangs around for a bit. Slight lacing.

S: Mostly grains with a slight caramel sweetness.

T: A bit more sweetness in the flavor, but not overly. Works well w/the grainy/bready flavors. Not much alcohol. Great balance.

M: Light carbonation, medium body.

O: I thought this was pretty darn good. Very drinkable and almost gulp-able. I drank a liter mug full at a nearby biergarten and wasn't over it by the time I was done. Maybe not my top choice for an Oktoberfest but I'd def. buy/drink again.

3.19/5  rDev -11.9%

The beer pours a clear amber color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the grain and toffee with a little bit of skunked notes mixed in. I assume this is because they decided to put the beer in a green bottle. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of grain and toffee with a little bit of nuttyness, but luckily there is not any of the skunk in the flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.56/5  rDev -29.3%

12oz bottle emptied into an octoberfest mug. No dating on the bottle, but it's green glass so it must be premium (boo).

A- pours a rusty gold (a bit dark). Solid 2-finger head. Loses a half point for the bottle's appearance.

S- Mild skunkiness and noble hop bitterness drowns out the malts. Is this a marzen?

T- closer to a euro adjunct lager than a marzen. Skunky and bitter. Hints of toast malts on the back end, but well hidden.

M- slick, good body for the style, goes down smooth.

O- Green bottle should have been a red light on this one. A pretty disappointing offering from a solid brewery.

3.48/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Clear copper color with a one-finger head that fades slowly and leaves some lacing.

S- Toasted grain, caramel, and bread crust. If you really try, you pick up hints of noble hops.

T- Sweet and grainy malts, cooked vegetables, and some hops in the finish. Some drying alcohol comes in at the end as well.

M- Medium feel with low carb.

D/O- This is a well balanced and drinkable Märzen, but I'd rather have a Paulaner or Hacker instead. Worth a try. Cheers.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured into a wide-mouthed glass.

-Appearance 4.0: Really interesting color to this beer, I don't know if I have ever seen this color before. It's a reddish-golden color but not quite amber in color. Almost has a greenish hue. Really unusual and attractive, clear and almost no head whatsoever.

-Smell 4.0: Very appealing smell. Lots and lots of barley. I also smell caramel and an appealing general sweetness. Nice.

-Taste 3.5: Very interesting. After the sweet, caramel smell, I wasn't prepared for this: the beer is actually quite dry in taste. There really is no upfront taste. After swallowing, I taste an unusual, diluted hoppiness and some barley. This hoppiness actually increases after swallowing and slowly disappears.

-Mouthfeel 4.0: This is a beer that gets the carbonation right. It is balanced and enhances the drinking experience. In a specialty beer like this, it could be a little off, but the master brewers at Spaten have it exactly right.

-Overall 3.5: Overall, a very good beer. This would be excellent with any and all German food and also "wunderbar" as a session beer. However, you should be aware that this is a very subdued beer. It is not a specialty beer and not one of the recent American micro/macro brews that blows up taste and alcohol. If you are looking for something like that, you will want to choose another beer.

$12.99 for a twelve pack in Atlanta, GA.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked this up in Totowa to get into the Octoberfest spirit. I was leery of a beer in a green bottle since I haven't had the best experiences with them before but thankfully, this was better than I expected!

Good almond hue to the pour with decent head and not a lot of lacing. This was quite malty with caramel and bread undertones with a carbonation that was just right. Not a lot of the "green bottle skunk" here but it's obvious that this is a European-style Lager after several sips. The aftertaste retains the doughy aspects of the bread and only a slight grassy-style European Hop can be felt in the midst of all of this.

I don't know why there's not a lot of love for Lagers on here and for beers like this. This was quietly enjoyable and begged to be paired with bratwurst and lederhosen. The darker hue and fuller body of this beer separate it from other Marzens that I've had and for someone like me who can't get to Munich, this easily sufficed!

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

This one pours a frothy rich almond brown with good clarity and a two finger head. Retention and lace are modest, but the film held on.

It's nice having that German lager skunkiness hiding behind a malt bomb like this, it just brings that dash of bitterness in that I like in an otherwise malt heavy beer. Toasted crackers, sweet spice, and caramel balance sweet and roasty nicely.

The flavor has a nice balance, blending the toasty grains and caramel with the green beer character. It's got an earthy clean finish that's right where it's gotta be to go down all night drama free.

Creamy and robust, the feel is excellent. The carbonation is spot on; it adds just enough crispness while retaining it's extraordinary smoothness. It's amazing how easy to drink these are in large quantities, especially at an Oktoberfest when my belly is full of brats and kraut. They just have the ability to methodically go down like bottles of beer on the wall.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a pint glass. 1.5 finger head, dark amberish body. Some lacing
S- Pretty boring. Bready. With minimal hops.
T- Slightly more interesting. A minimal mouth feel with more bready flavor. Ever-so-slightly hoppy on the finish.

Overall- A very commercial and rather uninteresting Oktoberfest.

1.24/5  rDev -65.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Blue Star Brewery Pint Glass.

Appearance

Poured a dark Amber, a leaf brown, with a one fingered head. The color just doesn't seem right.The carbonation is mild and the head definitely is interesting.

Smell

The smell is something that someone does not want to remember. It smells like something by an America Macro-brew. I want to believe that this beer has gone bad because it was in a green bottled, maybe it was skunked.

Taste

Even this taste is Macro. It taste horrible, but then it leaves a bitter aftertaste. This aftertaste is not anything to desire. I enjoy a nice aftertaste, but not when it's bad. This is just one of those aftertaste that sneaks up on you and you regret ever swallowing.

Mouthfeel

Thin like a light beer, but then it's extremely carbonated in the mouth. I don't want this carbonation exploring my mouth.

Overall

This is one of the worst beers that I have had in quite some time. I complained to my roommate the entire time I drank it. He told me to stop drinking it, but I wanted to give this its full chance. It obviously failed when it had its chance though. Maybe this beer was skunked, but I will never drink this beer again.

From what I understand, this is the beer served in the Hippodrom Tent at Oktoberfest in Munich...which is where I had it. This review may be completely unreliable because of the setting, but here it goes. It looked and smelled like any other lager (but its an oktoberfest). Im not sure how true it is, but from what I understand, an oktoberfest in Munich is just a special brew for the festival and doesnt reflect the American version of it.
Either way, I had way too many and they were all amazing! You dont need a review of this beer if you will be drinking it at the Oktoberfest because you will be at Oktoberfest! Not sure if they bottle this stuff for sale over here (prob not), but I would buy it just for the nostalgia. Its not an amazing beer, but it is an amazing experience! Prost!

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Decided to re-review since it's been 5 years.

Head dwindles down to almost nothing. Crystal clarity, and a nice dark amber color.

Green bottle skunk. Seriously, Spaten? Putting beer into green bottles should be outlawed. Mild soapy scent that might be hops, also some caramel malt aromas.

Taste is decent. Fairly clean caramel malt flavors and noble hop bitterness.

Body seems a bit thin for the style, but does not detract from the flavor, and actually enhances drinkability.

A drinkable German Oktoberfest, and about a dollar or two cheaper than other competing sixers. Certainly not my first choice, but not my last, either.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark straw colour with a small, creamy, white head. Poor head retention.

Lightly malty aroma but lacking overall. Some light hops.

A nice, lightly earthy hop character with some pilsner malt flavours. Decent enough but not really an Oktoberfest.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Decent.

A nice enough lager but it fails to tick all the notes expected of an Oktoberfest rather than simply being a strong Helles.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Served on tap into a 1 liter glass stein for the Winking Lizard's Glass of the Month

A- Pours a dark copper color with a one finger soapy head that leaves some lace. This beer looks great in a glass stein.

S- Big herbal and earthy aromas, biscuit, some nuttiness, and caramel

T- Big herbal and earthy flavors with biscuit and caramel flavors. Also some light citrus and some unique fruity esters came through as I got further through my glass.

M- Very lively carbonation, very crisp, clean, and refreshing

O- A highly drinkable Oktoberfest beer with a great mouthfeel and pretty good flavor and aroma.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu