Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,622 |  Reviews: 1,169

Big malt & low hops

Perfect beer - for me. I love a malty taste and don't like hops much at all. Being aware that hops are all the rage right now, there aren't too many domestic beers I care for. Prior to late 2008, I thought Sam Adams Octoberfest was one of the best beers I ever tasted but in December of that year, my wife and I visited EPCOT's Germany. On tap, we were treated to Spaten Oktoberfest beer and our lives changed. A rich malty flavor with no hops bitter nastiness - pure bliss. Six months later, we made to the Yard House in Waikiki and had our first revisit with this beer. Our initial impressions were confirmed.

In late August in 2009, I had my first Sam Adams Octoberfest since trying the original. I no longer liked it as the hops aftertaste took over my palate. This was a defining moment as it perfectly demonstrated for me what I like and dislike about beer. I always stock up with 6 case in my beer cellar for the off-season and ration carefully.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

on tap at one of those cigar bars in old market Omaha. it pours real flat looking, although it doesn't feel that way when you drink it. dark orange, burnt sugar color, with zero head. a nose of german amber malts, almost like an altbier, but a little richer and sweeter. good depth of flavor here, malt driven obviously, but with some pine in the finish and a very very light lager yeast that lets all the other elements do the talking. dense though, not well enough carbonated, but brighter than it appears. too filling for more than a few, this one seems off from the rest, the paulaner and the hacker and the like, a step behind, which is odd for spaten, but true for this one. I honestly didn't care for it a whole lot, disjointed and sloppy, even for an original, in my humble opinion. better in a bottle, but not by a lot.

3.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into goblet from growler.

A: beautiful copper with one finger head that dissipated into nothing rather quickly. Not much carbonation.

S: muted biscuit and caramel malty. Faint european, lemon grass hop. Slightly yeasty bready notes.

T: surprisingly muted. Sharp malt subsides quickly into a slightly spicy yeast and malt trail. Little to no hop bitterness. lightly metallic aftertaste at finish.

M: thin. dead due to lack of carbonation. still finish with slight drying. Disappointing.

O: Ayinger is better. I'd seek that or even Sam Adams over this one. Sorry :(

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

11.2oz green bottle
A - deep golden almost brown color with a thin ivory head that dissipates quickly to a foam atop the beer
S - very malty with sweet toasted grain, bready, grassy, yeast, slightly fruity
T - malt forward with toasty grain, bread, yeast, grassy noble hops
M - creamy and smooth, semi-dry and very clean finish
O - one of the best - a true Munich brewed Oktoberfestbier.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The aroma is malty with pils and munich malts.
The appearance is amber with some ruby hightlights in color. Extremely carbonated which props the head up during the whole session.
A very malty tasting beer but lacks character and depth in the flavor.
Slightly toasted.
The finish is dry and semi bitter.
An okay brew nothing special, a one and done.

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This Oktoberfest comes out of the tap a clear coppery color with a small, creamy off-white head that leaves decent spotting as it falls.
This is an appropriately bready example of the style, and it's an aspect I appreciate. There's not quite as much caramel as some have, but it's malty, and the malt balances with Noble hops that add a little leafy and gently spicy element. There's also something that's not quite vinous but almost, a sort of grape-like tart dryness that comes in before an herbal, leafy tea-like quality in the finish. The flavor is just the slightest hint sweeter than the nose, but they work equally well.
The body is medium, and the feel is taken by a bright crispness before it smooths out, though it never loses the nip.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%