Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

3.8

Ratings: 2,579 |  Reviews: 1,161
2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a bit of white head. Color is a clear copper brown. Some active carbonation in the class.

Aroma: Skunk and then some. Some caramel and roasted malts. Grassy noble hops.

Taste: More skunk. It is pretty much identical to the aroma. Dry and roasted malts with a caramel sweetness. Earthy noble hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and crisp. A higher amount of carbonation with a medium bodied. Ends dry with skunk flavors.

Overall, it is just a shame that this beer has a lot of skunk flavors to it. I am not digging it too much because of that, but if that flavor wasn't there I could probably drink more of it. Not to drinkable for me.

2.18/5  rDev -39.8%

This was on fire sale at the local tap room so I figured I would give it a try.

Copper color beer served with no head and slight white lacing. Aroma was very mild hops. Thin body, boring flavor, just a meek toasted malt taste. Somewhat acidic aftertaste, a pint was more then enough.

2.19/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Special beer for special ocassion; i try this in this october and i`m not impresssed, dark brown color, hops, malt, high plato; good quality for its brewery, a tipic example of german beer, try in a pilsner glass, good palate taste, and mouthfeel; strong, average ABV; 58% recommended.

2.19/5  rDev -39.5%

First Oktoberfest of the season, here goes.

A: Pours a slight hazy orange color with a little white head on top. Pretty standard look for a marzen.

S: Has that musky, skunky euro lager smell. Can't seem to smell any malt. Not a good start.

T: Starts off sweet malts then musky hops come flying in that back to a sweet finish, with that musky wet taste coating my mouth. I'm kinda reaching here but there might be a bit of cocoa sweetness in there. Hating that euro lager taste right now.

M: Medium to light, seems kinda thin for the style, but its my first marzen this year, so i'll kinda give it a pass.

D: Drinkability would be much high if it wasn't for hoppy cloying coating the back of my mouth.

For an oktoberfest I was expecting more malt and less macro euro mess this is.

2.2/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

The color is dark yellow, head is light and foamy, lacing is moderate. The smell is skunky, banana peel, rock and rye, prunes, stale beer cups. The taste is not good, actually pretty bad. Just straight macro flavors but a bit thicker, similar to a cheap malt liquor: skunk, grass, old lemon rinds, newspaper ink. Tastes like it was run through twenty feet of aluminum gutters and drained out over the driveway. How did this beer go so wrong? Spaten? I thought that was a decent beer. Not in this case. The mouthfeel is gunky and chewy and the carbonation is just an afterthought. Drinkability is close to a zero. Can't see why you'd want another, unless you're stuck with a six pack like me. Bad beer overall. Cheap Octoberfests like Berghoff are better than this. Horrible.

2.21/5  rDev -39%

Spaten- Oktoberfest

Appearance- light reddish brown with a quickly dissolving head, no lacing.
Smell- Strong sugary candy, caramel, and grain (wheat/ barley)
Taste- Sweet sugar with a light earthy hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- sweet, cloying even. Finishes off very bland.

Overall- big disappointment. Was expecting more. This is 1 of the weakest Oktoberfests I've ever had.

2.21/5  rDev -39%

A= The pour is a nice medium amber color with a nice looking almost light grey looking head on it that holds nice retention and lacing. The head is actually pretty impressive with the retention and the tiny bubbles do a great job with lacing.

S= First thing I notice is skunk. From the second the bottle opened I got skunk. Under the skunk is a little more of a toffee character but it's mostly covered by skunk.

T= Skunk again. What the hell. I'm actually a little pissed. Why would they put it in a green bottle first of all and why would the liquor store let this happen. Beyond the skunk is a little extra toffee and the toffee is actually quite nice but the skunk is the dominate flavor.

M= Great. Nice carbonation and medium body.

D= Beyond the skunk I would imagine it was a very nice beer but unfortunatlly all I got was a lot of skunk.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Interesting spread of opinions on this beer.

Clear copper body, very appealing smooth off-white head, almost bone in color (seemed an unusual shade to me). Excellent lacing.

Solid aroma, sweet but not overpowering. Thought I detected some vanilla in there.

Chewy in the mouth. Thick with a touch of brass at the edge. Slight hops burn after you swallow. Sweetness everywhere, but not too much.

This is an enjoyable Oktoberfest that I will purchase again. I am fond of Spaten's beers, and this one is no exception.

EDITED 24 Sept. 2005
Have I changed or has this beer changed? There is a skunkiness to this beer's aroma that I don't remember, and a grainy sourness to its taste. Bought a single this morning, it's not even October yet, so I'm sure that this is fresh. Not a good sign for Spaten.

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.29/5  rDev -36.7%

Although meant to be enjoyed from a mug, I poured this into a New Belgium snifter for nosing and tasting. The pour is very nice-looking. It is a clear, orange-amber color with two fingers of sudsy head. Unfortunately, selling this beer in green glass bottles hasn't done much for the nose. I definitely pick up some skunky tones amidst the malt and spices.

The beer has no body at all and the mouthfeel is paper-thin for this style. I don't get much malt at all. I get a watery, lemony drink that tastes like beer and iced tea. There is none of the chewyness or breadiness that one finds in a good Oktoberfest. It doesn't taste bad, but it's as bland as bland can be. It's as if Budweiser tried to make an Oktoberfest and this is the result.

I don't know what this brewer is trying to pull by calling this an Oktoberfest, but I sure as hell won't be fooled again. I never thought I'd say this, but I've tasted American Oktoberfests (like Great Lakes' offering) that demolish this German Oktoberfest. This is a travesty of a beer and is not worthy of a German label. The brewers who made this should be ashamed of themselves. Avoid.

2.3/5  rDev -36.5%

A- Copper, 1/2cm head, vigorous bubbling.

S- Metallic, faint malt, not much else.

T/M- Light body, thin, what I would equate to marzen style OE malt liquor.

D- There's a reason it says malt liquor on the bottle, it was. Rather have a Hofbrau. I was surprised, considering Optimator and their Dunkel are quite tasty. Avoid.

2.31/5  rDev -36.2%

Color is right on - a nice orange yellow. Smell is very strong - has that wheaty, skunky smell.

Very thin taste. Mostly tastes like water with hints of wheat and grains.

This beer was not impressive. In general, I prefer to have a beer with a body that is not so thin. In this case, it went from refreshing to annoying - like rotten water.

2.32/5  rDev -35.9%

We were excited about the legitimacy of a real Marzen from a real Germany. The look was promising, typical Oktoberfest, light amber and clear. Not much head or carbonation. The residual did not cling to the glass like an ex-girlfriend (BA-ZING!). The basic smell-malty. A woodshop memory also sprang into our minds. However, the inability of the smell to resonate brought the first disappointment of this beer. Upon first taste, I was convinced that there might have been a Munich, Ohio. This Oktoberfest is a very malty beer, and only if you let the flavors linger will you taste a hoppiness. The beer itself was not very carbonated, and did not sit on the palate at all (much like how the smell didn't resonate). Justin was very disappointed due to his travels and beerperiences in Germany. Despite the shortcomings, this beer would not disappoint an experienced Oktoberfest-er. Though it is not a special beer, it is a solid, basic beer, that is not at all bad tasting. It has a light body, and a pleasant smell, albeit fleeting. Taking that into consideration, we rate this beer drinkable. We expected more from a Munich Oktooberfest, as this beer was more of a late August/early September-fest. Much too basic, but a good general idea. A little more editing and this beer could be something amazing. Better luck next time.

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a green bottle with no packaging date.

A: A very pretty beer. It is a light copper color and crystal clear. The head is very minimal to non-existent and leaves on lacing on the glass.
S: Sulfur with no hop aroma. Typical lager nose.
T: One word: Skunked! When will I ever learn not to buy green bottle beers. I keep hoping to find a decent one but no luck again. I don't think I will finish this one!! Just have enough to finish this review. Why do imports even come in green bottles?
M: Actually very good if I can get by the skunk taste. Medium body with just enough carbonation to give a creamy feeling in the back of the throat.
D: Were it not for the skunking I could probably have several of these but if they are all like this one, no thanks.

2.46/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours a light amber/copper with average head that disappears completely.

Smell is sweet malt, european macro? Nothing as strong as Heineken, but a little sour.

Taste has too much of a sweet malt flavor, bordering on those 40 ounce malts. It also has a creamy flavor with hints of decent caramel.

It's a little flat.

I feel like I could score the same with a cheaper, american failure, than going for an import of this stature. I will probably never try this again. Maybe I had this a served too warm. It was the last of a quick 6-pack outside the fridge. However, that is usually a sign of poor beer that needs to be served iced cold.

2.47/5  rDev -31.8%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (production code of L 18471 C) in a thumbprint Seidel

BAside: it seems odd to have a German Oktoberfest with the words "MALT LIQUOR" on the label...

Poured crisp, clean, true. Ugh....not a very pleasing nose. To be honest this smells like a typical canned macro. Dry, astringent, slightly metallic, a little sour, maybe some mildly burnt caramel. Head was a nice pencil's worth of loose & mixed, pale ivory foam that steadily settled to a see-through sheen with a bubbled edge ring. The slightly hazed body is classic Marzen - penny copper orange, warm like good honey. Damn shame it doesn't have an appealing aroma.

It tastes better than it smells, but it still has some mild, canned macro quality. Slightly burnt caramelized malts slide under a semi-dry, crisp astringency that is a ween bit spoiled/sour, with some noticeable metallic & phenolic aspects. Hops are timid & mildly bitter. I'm not really sure what is exactly going on here. I've enjoyed some nice Marzens, but this has an odd aspect to it, a can lining quality that I just can't shake.

Growing drier & lighter on the palate, it finishes crisp but a little phenolic with a nice, sharpening spiciness, leaving a clean yet cloying aftertaste.

I had Mrs. BuckSpin confirm the nose. Her words - "Natural Ice in a can", so I know its not me. It is very possible I got a bad bottle, but in that I have nothing to compare it to I am going with what I experienced. Let me put it this way - if this was a Macro Lager it would be a pretty decent one, but as a Marzen this was not enjoyable. I will definitely try this again next year to see if I did catch a bad one, but until then I cannot recommend this. This was one of the most disappointing & generic tasting imports I've ever had. Very bummed. Omm-pah-pah at your own risk.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu