Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Quaffer on 09-04-2001

Reviews: 1,144 | Ratings: 2,538
2.83/5  rDev -20.5%

The third and final beer of our Aug. beer club meeting, and my favorite of the night.

Poured to a dark yellow slight amber color.

Head was small and diminished quickly.

Smell was not real potent

Tasted great at first considering the other two beers I tried that evening, left a little burnt aftertaste.

Usually after we taste and rate three beers we hang out discuss world events and drink our favorite of the night, this was mine

Not bad beer had a couple that night. Probaly wouldn't keep it on hand but would buy it in a multi pack to see what others this brewery had to offer.

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%

First off I think this brew is underrated. It has a great looking pour with a big beige head. Color is of deep caramel. Kind of a pungent smell of sour apples. Has a piney taste to it, sweet malts and a slight bitterness. Medium body and big carbonation. Moderately high alcohol content and you can taste it going down. Crisp finish. Spaten is a great brewery and they damn sure know their beer.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

This ale pours with a very clear deep amber color with a thick slightly tan head with great retention. The carbonation is well balanced and stay with the beer to the finish. There is a nice mellow malt flavor with a very nice aroma. The finish is smooth and slightly sweet. A very nice example of an Oktoberfest; but, not the best.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on tap at Clark's Ale House in Syracuse, NY.

a - pours a reddish amber with a minimal, yet frothy head

s - aromas of grain and autumn spices (ginger? coriander?) dominate, mild essence of hops

t - pleasant blend of malted hops and complimentary spices; finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste

m - medium bodied and mild; lightly carbonated

d - a good, but not GREAT Oktoberfest
bier

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

A: pours with a clear, reddish/copper color. Had about an inch or so of head and left some lacing on the glass.

S: Subtle grainy/earthy tones with a bit of sweet smell to it

T: Malty and sweet taste

M: Smooth, fresh feel with a good amount of carbonation

D: A good drink and went down really easily. Would definitely enjoy a few of these.

4.52/5  rDev +27%

I have to agree wholeheartedly with the last reviewer. While unimpressed with recent Spaten Ok/Ur vintages, this one is seriously worth another try. Very, very drinkable. Round, malty, with just enough hop at the end to make you want more. I don't know what it is but this year's batch tastes DARN close to fresh Munchen amber heaven. I recommend you re-try this one.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Picked up some Oktoberfest for this year's final barbeque. It was a good choice. This beer is very drinkable; it's not too heavy, and it certainly is not too light. Can't say much for appearance as I drank it straight out of the bottle, but it appears to have a nice amber hue. Initial mouthfeel was very good, but as I was finishing my first bottle, I wished there was a bit more carbonation.

Malty aroma dominates, with a hint of...I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It really doesn't taste as malty as it smells; taste has a good balance of malt and hops.

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

I was slightly bummed about this beer, thinking that anything German during Oktoberfest was going to make me weep with joy, and then make outrageous claims and lies about being proud of a German heritage I really don't have (like I claim I'm Irish during St. Patrick's Day).

Lies aside, the beer poured a lighter amber, not as deep as some Oktoberfests, but amber-ish anyway. Slight head, brownish/creamy color. Oh goody, I thought, more malty goodness! I hear the accordians already!

It all sort of fell apart for me, though, when I smelled it. I remembering reading Beer Advocate's little piece about beer in green bottles isn't necessarily skunky just by being in a green bottle, and that I should open my mind and think that maybe...just maybe...the brewer meant to do it that way, and that what I smell is the combination of hops and malts they're using. Okay, I think to myself, maybe this brewer meant to have this skunky smell, like Heineken or St. Pauli Girl. So I smelled some floral hops that were overshadowed by skunkiness.

With mind wide open, I chugged away merrily. Hey!, I thought, it tastes skunky too! In fact, I could not really taste any hops because I tasted skunk. I struggled against my own predisposition to think that anything in a green bottle tastes like Heineken that's been in the sun for a week. I fought it...I really did. I kept going and going til it was gone, but at the end of the day, for the money, I'd stick with either Sammy A or better yet, Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest.

So, I may try this beer again, from a beer store that doesn't store everything in bright lights, and hope that I really did taste skunk because of mis-handling. Maybe I'll change my review. Maybe my tastes will mature.

Or maybe, this really is a medicore, light-bodied Oktoberfest without enough sweet malt to balance the earthy hops they use. That's it. That's the ticket.

2.19/5  rDev -38.5%

First Oktoberfest of the season, here goes.

A: Pours a slight hazy orange color with a little white head on top. Pretty standard look for a marzen.

S: Has that musky, skunky euro lager smell. Can't seem to smell any malt. Not a good start.

T: Starts off sweet malts then musky hops come flying in that back to a sweet finish, with that musky wet taste coating my mouth. I'm kinda reaching here but there might be a bit of cocoa sweetness in there. Hating that euro lager taste right now.

M: Medium to light, seems kinda thin for the style, but its my first marzen this year, so i'll kinda give it a pass.

D: Drinkability would be much high if it wasn't for hoppy cloying coating the back of my mouth.

For an oktoberfest I was expecting more malt and less macro euro mess this is.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: came in a green bottle :( not good for protecting against light. Though some companies are playing with the hops to eliminate the effect. Perfect lacing, great carbonation. Light golden pale color.

Smell: Nothing strong. Very neutral.

Taste: a nice drinking beer. good mouth feel, hops and malt nicely balanced and smooth.

Mouth feel: See above.

Overall: A nice drinking beer, fantastic lacing. Nice golden and clear tasting.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Darker than expected, almost like an English Brown Ale. 1/2 inch soapy white head. Good lacing that refused to leave the sides of the glass. Good head retention down to the last sip.

Smell: Strong honey and grain odors. Sweet malt. The smell really got me excited for this beer.

Taste: The honey comes through nicely. Sweet malt. Amazing cool crisp finish. The finish is very complex and long lasting.

Mouth-feel: Perfect carbonation which is a rare thing to find in this style of beer (at least for me).

Overall: A very nice well rounded brew. Not the best of the style I've ever tried, but far better than many others I have had. If you have a chance to try this beer it is definitely worth ordering. I do not think I would go out of my way to find this beer again though.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark copper with a thick head...maybe about 2 fingers thick that dissipates a bit. There is also a lot of carbonation happening here. As I drank this beer down there was evidence of lacing.

The smell was very yeasty, spicy yeast. I also picked up the scent of pumpkin. Cinnamon was there too. The malt smelled sweet.

My first impression was the tiny kick that I got quite quickly. I didn't really notice the malt too much and the hops are there but didn't seem like they affected the drink. Very good balance.

Light but with a little caramel texture.

Very good beer for what it is. I will for sure be drinking these next year for Oktoberfest!

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark orange-amber with a thin, but fluffy head that quickly becomes a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing.

S: Euro-lagery aroma with some sweeter malt notes

T: Rather sweet, with some notes of bread and butterscotch, and a slight hop crispness.

M: Somewhat thin; the flavors register, but don't feel very substantial.

D: Could use a little more carbonation, as it feels somewhat thin, and yet too sweet. Not a bad beer by any means, just not one I'd go out of my way to find.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Poured into a pint glass. 1.5 finger head, dark amberish body. Some lacing
S- Pretty boring. Bready. With minimal hops.
T- Slightly more interesting. A minimal mouth feel with more bready flavor. Ever-so-slightly hoppy on the finish.

Overall- A very commercial and rather uninteresting Oktoberfest.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

I think my favorite Oktoberfest beer! Not just based on taste though. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy this beer's taste. Most of the time. Like anything that comes from Munich, it's been on a boat for a while. So some time it's great because it just got off the boat. Other times you can tell it's been on the boat. But it's not over priced, and it's worth the extra for an "import." A lot of American breweries make a decent Oktoberfest beer, but there's something about a real Munich brewed beer during Oktoberfest. Or it could be the fact that my Dad's Spaten Oktoberfest 1968 mug was in view of my crib. . .

3.94/5  rDev +10.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a bronze chestnut with less than a finger of white head. Head doesn't stick around, lacing is mediocre. Looks over carbonated.

S- Dough, toffee, caramel. Slight yeast funk.

T- Caramel takes the lead with a nice breadiness backing it up. Just the slightest hint of hops, which come through pretty floral and grassy.

M- Medium to light bodied. Lots of carbonation, pretty crisp in the mouth. Alcohol is practically unnoticable.

O- Not my favorite o-fest but definitely a tasty brew worth trying.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%

I honestly cannot understand why this beer didn't get better reviews. I had this beer on-tap which may be a reason why and having it with a hearty German meal consisting of wild boar may also have had an impact. Honestly though, I found this beer to be extremely good. It was not really the style that I expected it to be, however. It pours an amber-brownish color. The taste and smell give you an idea of what the beer is like. Caramel and malt are very evident in this beer. It is not as thick as one would expect and goes down very smooth. This beer was extremely drinkable and I could see myself indulging in many of them the next time I see it available.

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

It poured a clear copper-like with a small off-white head which disappeared quite fast.
It had quite a floral nose with notes of caramel and honey on the palate. A little semi-sweet finish with a good drinkability. Quite nice.
I had this one with deer sausage in gravy over rice - I am in Louisiana! - and this went quite well!!

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Here it is mid-November and I'm just getting to my first Oktoberfest. The pour turns up a finger-width's worth of foam on top of a bronze beer. The nose detects a moderately strong barley malt and hops presence, with hops being the more dominant. First taste causes an involuntary cough; but it's not the beer's fault. The taste has some bitter notes, but is nice. It has a slightly bittery hoppy finish. This one looks better than it tastes, but it does taste nice.

2.52/5  rDev -29.2%

Consumed during mammoth Oktoberfest beer tasting.

A - orangey yellow, solid white head. It looked like a cliche beer picture.
S - Definitely skunked, the green bottle being the likely culprit. The bottle was purchased at Nikki's Liquors in Providence, RI, and i assume that they have above average bottle handling...
T - Skunky! And a much too similar to helles end of the spectrum than the punchy hops and deep malt of the typical Oktoberfest. Definitely a beer constructed for high volume intake.
M - I believe it was a bit creamier that anticipated, but it still had a carbonation tingle that i expect of a lighter bodied version of the Marzen style.
D - Without the skunking, the presentation alone says 'drink me! i am festbier!' But as it was skunked and out of place on a Rhode Island kitchen table surrounded by superior competition, it does not find success in this area.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a frothy rich almond brown with good clarity and a two finger head. Retention and lace are modest, but the film held on.

It's nice having that German lager skunkiness hiding behind a malt bomb like this, it just brings that dash of bitterness in that I like in an otherwise malt heavy beer. Toasted crackers, sweet spice, and caramel balance sweet and roasty nicely.

The flavor has a nice balance, blending the toasty grains and caramel with the green beer character. It's got an earthy clean finish that's right where it's gotta be to go down all night drama free.

Creamy and robust, the feel is excellent. The carbonation is spot on; it adds just enough crispness while retaining it's extraordinary smoothness. It's amazing how easy to drink these are in large quantities, especially at an Oktoberfest when my belly is full of brats and kraut. They just have the ability to methodically go down like bottles of beer on the wall.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber. Head leaves frothy lace as it subsides.
Smell: Bread, alfalfa, sweet malts
Taste: Strong malt sweetness. Crisp, mildly citrus hop finish.
Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium bodied, high carbonation
Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, from ice cold all the way to room temp.

Verdict: Certainly not the most complex beer ever, but it's got enough going on to merit drinking on its own, rather than just using it to wash down some brats.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

I can't understand why there's so many lukewarm reviews for this beer.... This is one of the classics...it helped define the style! I've noticed reviewers on this site favor newer extreme beers to the more subtle classics (Pilsner Urquell has a B rating, B- from the Brothers - there wouldn't be Pilsner beer without Pilsner Urquell!) and that's their prerogative but I'm going to give some of the greats the respect they deserve starting with Spaten Oktoberfest. The nose is dry and malty the color a perfect copper. The taste is malty with but with enough bitterness to make it slightly drier and more quaffable then many oktoberfests. Perfect for a pleasant fall day.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - AM

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

A: Excellent copper color, with a pale tan head that reduces to a creamy top.

S: Very floral and grainy aroma. Caramel and chocolate linger afterwards. There is also some citrus near the back end.

T: Creamy, sweet taste hits up front. Not bitter, but some hop flavors come through in this beer. Orange citrus flavor adds a good compliment to the sweetness.

M: Very creamy. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry finish.

O: I love marzens, and I'm usually critical of them if they don't pass. This is a great marzen.

4.23/5  rDev +18.8%

As far as Oktoberfests go this is definitely one of the better ones out there, but in general Im not the biggest fan of them although I do like to modify preferences with the seasons (even though here in LA it is difficult to differentiate one season from the other). Anyhoot, It has a beautiful coppery color, and is rather full-bodied in comparison to other Oktoberfests. It ain't the Optimator, but its definitely a good brew.

Spaten Oktoberfestbier Ur-Märzen from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu