Franziskaner Weissbier | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu
Germany
franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Another name for Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Hell.

Added by scratch69 on 04-07-2012

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 782

Appearance: Pour is a hazy and cloudy and darker straw colors with a big t finger head with great retention

Smell: Smell mlike malt with a fair presence of some cloves and banana withht citric presence, .

Taste: Banana presence and some slight bitterness in the back just balances it all out. This beer is high ion my list !

Mouthfeel: Body is between medium and light nd the carbonation is strong, without being shapr and it is smooth when it goes down

Overall: t. A awesome beer with great flavors; body is light so it weight me down. It is not highly watered down. I love Hefeweizen beer !

Franziskaner Weissbier is an exemplary beer for its category. It is the ultimate white beer in my opinion. It has a soft, mild flavor that isn’t bitter at all. In fact, I’d suggest this beer to anyone who doesn’t ordinarily choose beer because they don’t like bitter flavors. That’s not to say it has less flavor. It still has a gently sweet wheat taste that holds the attention without dominating the palate.

This beer pairs well with traditional German food of course and anything that’s not extremely spicy or strongly flavored.

Frafziskaner is near the very top of my list of favorite beers.

I have to give it a 5! It is the best weissbeir on the planet. Pours hazy orange. Head pour depends on how you want it an if you want to get the yeast off the bottom. Banana, orange, spices, light clove. This is the beer years ago that got me into branching out into European beers. The best balanced Weiss. My wife even likes it! I still remember where and when I had it and I fell in love with all of it. The mouth feel and perfect creamy head poured into hotel coffee paper cup wakes me up at night. I can't decide if I will retire in west coast hoppy land, or Old town Germany living out life as brewery hand.

4.89/5  rDev +22.9%

Franziskaner is my go-to. What a really flavorful, stellar beer. It's like something out of the Middle Ages, and that is a good thing. I feel like a Gregorian monk when I drink this stuff.

Draught poured into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass:

Appearance: Deep bronze, almost light honey colored, with a pristine, beautiful shade of Germanic awesome. An off-white head that is less than a finger's width, quickly receding into lacey edges on the glass like a Byzantine tapestry.

Aroma: Faint, bitter sweet, slightly citrus undertones -- not overpowering. It is very inviting.

Taste: A rich wheat with a fruity aftertaste, no maltiness and ever so slightly hoppy. It lures you in with its deeply embedded, earthly goodness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly oily on the tongue, but rolls off nicely, with some biting carbonation.

Overall: I fell in love with this stuff the moment I tasted it. Friar Tuck would drown himself in this heavenly beer. It's really, really one of the finer brews out there. Get it on draught if you can.

4.87/5  rDev +22.4%

Truly one of the most excellent weissbier readily available to just about everybody, this beverage remains flavorful and refreshing throughout the glass or bottle. Light and malty with a distinct wheaty flavor that's neither too sweet nor too plain, further down the bottle, the more distinct the bolder, denser flavors become. I'll admit I've left one out for an hour or more by mistake and even that scarcely diminished its flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

A great beer that I had the pleasure of trying as a young man. Looks cloudy when you pour it into a glass like what you would imagine bread would look like if it came in liquid form. When I smell this beer all I can think about is a bakery with a hint of fruitiness. Beer tastes great with very little bitterness light carbonation. The people behind the bar always offer a slice of orange and I always decline, though I have met a few people that enjoy it that way. If you like this style of beer give this one a try.

4.61/5  rDev +15.8%

Just poured a cold pint-sized bottle (as pictured above) into a pint glass. Before I start, this is my favorite beer, whatever it is about the taste just makes love to my tastebuds, so clearly I'm strongly biased in favor of it (if you don't like it, don't hate on dank).

A: The beer has a golden color and a strong, 1/4" (~.5 cm) foamy head.

S: It smells great, not too wheaty, like you'd expect from a hefe, also has a little bit of a "banana-ey" aroma to it. I'd give the smell a 4 because I'd like the smell to be stronger.

T: I love the taste of this beer, I've tried a lot of hefeweizens, as it's my favorite style of beer. This one has a moderately strong wheat taste to it, with a little citrus taste. You can taste banana as it goes down.

M: Feels great, maybe a little creamier, or thicker, than your standard hefe.

O: Overall I'd give this a 4.5. I love this beer and it's currently my favorite out there. While I would like to give this a 5, I'm downgrading it a little because I'm not totally blown away by this beer, as I would expect for something I'd give a 5. I will be drinking this again and would love to try it on tap.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled tonight on 2/6/14. This one comes in a 12 ounce bottle where as the one I had last year was in a 16.9 oz (550ml) bottle. Bottle chilled out in the garage where it is like 25 degrees F. LOL! Poured into a classic dimple pilsner mug with handle.

Pours a medium hazy straw-yellow, (honey) color with a very tiny white head that leaves spotty lacing with each sip. Lots of sediment is left in the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is of a sweet wheat bread, lemon, grain with a hint of banana (of course no bananas are used) and honey. The taste was very delightful and pretty close to the aroma with a slight sweet finish. Goes down easy with no bitter or harsh finish. They also make a very nice "Dunkel" (Dark) beer is just as good.

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%

After a rewarding workout, it's time for a rewarding beer.

Appearance (4.5) : Towering head that caps off the glass and has a creamy, marshmallow appearance. Very tight knit, very impressive. The body is hazy with sediment and mango-copper colored.

Aroma (4.5) : Man I love these Belgian-style beers. Orange, ripe pineapple, fresh cut strawberry, cinnamon, nutmeg, a faint bit of wheat, and the tiniest whiff of distant hop. Bouquet is medium-strong.

Taste (4.75) : I wish I could take the grin on my face and paste it in this category. The entrance is slightly sour, turning yeasty and estery, a splash of water, with table fruits and fresh bread. If you can imagine an orange muffin with slight alcohol that's what is right here. Liquid muffin, sour zing on the exit. This seriously contends with Hoegaarden (I almost forgot the name of my favorite beer, what?!).

Mouthfeel (4) : Very zingy and carbonated yet super creamy and relaxing. Just fantastic.

Overall (4.54) : If Hoegaarden is the king of Witbiers, this is the king of Hefeweizens. Granted I haven't tried all of them (and I'm sure Weihenstephaner is a serious contender for that title) but this is seriously impressive. It's so creamy, so blissful, so orange-y, I just can't talk enough about it.

- T-A-J

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

A very unique weizen. The color is darker than most, pouring an amber, almost brownish color that looks like "apple cider" and has the haze to go along with it. The head is white and foams up into a "rocky, mountainous peak" yet is actually quite thin. The effervescence is high (though not as high as some other leading Bavarian hefe's) and the bubbles are astonishingly tiny, forming a very tight - but light - foamy head. The mouthfeel is similar in many ways to the head with it's very fine bubbles that give a gentle zest - but appearing thinner than some other examples. The yeast character is more restrained than it is in many weizens, in terms of both flavor and aroma. The nose expresses a sharp fruitiness, with less banana than many hefe's. The clove character is clearly present but subtle, and there's an uncommon note of a bready-spiciness... maybe nutmeg? The sweetness of the flavor is restrained in comparison to many. Again, the banana is limited but the clove is present and leaves a slight spice in your mouth at the finish. A sublime weizen. Instantly recognizable. Quite refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

500ml bottle poured into a Schneider-Weisse pint glass.

Appearance: Head-frothy with average lacing

Smell: Very light, slightly musty

Taste: Heavy banana with coriander and a slight hint of cloves.

Mothfeel: Distinctly Effervescent, subsiding quickly.

Overall: an Excellent example of a weissbier.

I must say, this is probably my second favourite example of this type (after Weihenstephaner), particularly since I can buy this relatively cheaply. A great beer, and one that must be tried to appreciate.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

A favourite style of beer, a very good example.

I have nothing to add to the previous review, but to say this one of the better examples out there.

4.49/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L:
-pours a cloudy deep golden with a medium,frothy,white head
-medium to high carbonation visible
S:
-banana,clove,white bread,earthy,slight cream
T:
F:
-medium body,high carbonation
O:
Absolute Classic in the Style

4.48/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A) A rather pale golden color with a nice foamy head that persisted longer than I expected.

S) Wheat, and a lovely amount. I thought there was another smell, but I couldn't nail it down due to the strong wheatiness.

T) Not as strong as I thought it would be. The wheat was definitely prevalent. The hops added a subtle bitter taste, nowhere near being overpowering.

M) Light, smooth, and delicate. light body; surprising to an extent.

O) A solid beer. Met my expectations on everything but the taste. I had hoped for something that would present itself stronger; however, the tastes were harder to sort out.

4.46/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This my first German hefe. Served in a weizen glass very cold.

Appearance: definitely on the darker side for hefe's. 3 inch head that did not leave very much if any lacing.

Smell: Banana, clove, seltzer, mild citrus, no hops. I liked how the wheat was not in your face.

Taste: I thought it was going to be a wheat bomb but the wheat was very subdued. A very big plus for me as too much wheat can take on the aftertaste of cereal. More banana, effervescence, touch of vanilla and bubblegum.

Overall: I am impressed with this beer and could definitely see this as a summer beer in my rotation. Good job!

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a big white head that recedes to about two inches and hangs around a bit.

Aroma: Smells of citrus, wheat, oranges and spices.

Taste: Now this is a terrific wheat beer. It's full of the signature flavors - citrus dominates, and there's no reason for a dippy orange slice. Just a really tasty wheat ale.

Mouthfeel: This is an area where this beer really excels. It's super smooth and a pleasure to drink. Great stuff.

Overall: Superb beer. I had a Blue Moon yesterday; comparing that to this is like comparing a second grade performance of Robin Hood to The Deer Hunter.

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not generally a wheat beer kind of guy but this beer has the potential to change that. Excellent from the tap-haven't tried it from the bottle. Came across as light and refreshing without lacking in character. Very drinkable, I highly recommend.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a beautiful example of a hefeweizen. It forms a giant creamy white head, so much so that you have to be careful how you pour it. The head coarsens as it slowly settles, and leaves impressive lacing wherever it goes. The beer itself is a nice deep gold color, cloudy with the requisite yeast sediment. The nose is dominated by the characteristic hefeweizen banana/clove spice, with hints of orange and wheat notes. On the palate it is a bit malty, with a clean wheat flavor that is joined by hints of spice and a bit of bitter citrus. The finish is the same, with the citrus bitterness lingering a bit. The light body and creamy texture make this a very smooth-drinking beer, while a lively carbonation keeps your attention.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

With the warmer days of summer upon us and only getting warmer (and more freaking humid... damn the Ohio Valley...), beers like this just sound appealing. Review is from notes taken on 5/23/2012 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a very hazy and cloudy, darker straw color with an apricot core; starts with a big two finger, billowy head with great retention -- looks like a pillow sitting on top of the glass; with the murkiness, it's difficult to see too far into it, but the carbonation appears strong near the sides of the glass.

Smell: Smell is solid and it's making my mouth water a bit -- plenty of biscuity/bready malt with a fair presence of some cloves and that smooth banana; slight citric presence, perhaps of lemongrass and just a touch of hop bitterness.

Taste: Really matches the smell to a T, and that smooth yeasty banana presence makes my night; plenty of it, and the slight bitterness in the back just balances it all out. This beer will definitely make my top ten session list with flavors like this -- getting through the six pack should prove to be no problem.

Mouthfeel: Body is between medium and light in terms of weight, and the carbonation is plenty strong, yet avoids being sharp; a mild stickiness is left on the roof of the mouth; smooth and goes down easy.

Overall: I'm lovin' it. A great beer with great flavors; body is light enough that it's not going to weigh you down but you know you're still drinking a "real" beer as opposed to something watered down that simply quenches the thirst. I will definitely be picking more of this up as time goes on.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fruity, Wheat, Banana, Clove, Medium-bodied
Germany- Hefeweizen it is
golden-orange colored wheat beer with soft banana and spice notes on the nose
a citrus note on the palate. It is light in body with a refreshing finish.
malt and barley is genuine sincere presence
orange and lemon jelly with banana-apple saux
barley and malt is frutti and genuine Freshness

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Cloudy looking orange with hints of light lemon yellow on the edges. Roaring huge amounts of micro fine and fast rising carbonation. The head is just booming off the pour like a classic German hefe. Thick white frothy fistfull head, tall as a mountain, and settling with big shampoo and superfine thin whipped bubbles, bleach white and large.

Solid nose. Huge peanut butter aromas, and good fine clove phenol spicy quality. Seems to neglect hints of chewy malt wheat character or even hints of banana, and lemon. Solid, inviting and still to character.

Palate delivers real nicely. Chewy malts really seem to blast right on first sip, but the mouthfeel lowers in body as you drink. Big yeasty esters hit with lots of sharp perfect spice. Hints of herbality but not even from hop, more of the ester goes to clove, and a hot almost bitter spicy character. Dense. Light hints of lemon peak out on the aftertaste but really get pushed out by hot brown spice character and a very surprising nutty character.

Simple, with a nice unique character to match. Very fun hefeweizen.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A: hazy amber-orange, cloudily translucent; intially pours with a full off-white head, settling to 1-2cm of surface foam; uniform latticed lacing as the head recedes
S: heady scent of yeast and clove; very little banana or orange;
T: definitely clove and yeast, with a hint of bubble gum, nutmeg; bready
M: light-medium-bodied, a little on the watery side, slightly sour bite
O: I would have liked a little more presence, but the scent is enticing and if you're a fan of hefeweizens there's no arguing with the flavor

500mL / Weizen Glass

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers, very fully-tasted, a great wheat taste, not yet (that) strong. A nice 'wheaty' smell, great mouth feel. Darker with a stronger taste than 'whiter' wheat beers, recommended to follow after drinking whiter/clearer one(s) or not to follow this one with on of those. Like a lot the simpleness of the presentation, with a drunken brewer monk and the golden, black and white colors.

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy and hazy straw colour with dense white head of tight foam. Very pleasant banana, biscuit with very mild malt aroma profile. This beer has a great mild malt middle and a toffee finish. Really very good with great aroma and lovely taste.

4.29/5  rDev +7.8%

Hazy gold, with thick, lathery, white carbonation. No discernible lacing.

Nose is spicy sweet. Clove and bubblegum with some orange spice. Nice!

Taste is spicy sweet as well, with a solid clove and orange character. Well-balanced with the citrus. A fresh and tasty hefeweizen, and definitely one worthy of seeking out.

Franziskaner Weissbier from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu