Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Franziskaner Weissbier Kristallklar | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Kristalweizen

Formerly Franziskaner Club-Weisse Kristalklar

Added by Quaffer on 07-06-2001

2.74/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.82/5  rDev -23.6%

As you'd expect, this pours crystal clear, pale straw in color with a hige frothy head. Strong wheat aroma with hints of banana and cloves, though milder than in its full-bred hefeweisen brother. The taste starts off nice, with a good spicy beginning, and a sweet mid-palate. High carbonation lends to a very light feel in the mouth. Hardly any hop bitterness in the finish -- this leaves a rather empty feeling in the back of the mouth, and while the finish is fairly dry, the aftertaste is a bit too sweet for me. I just don't get this style. You take a perfectly good hefeweisen like Franziskaner makes and you take out the yeast thinking what, that it'll make a good session beer? The yeast contributes a lot to the flavor of Franz's hefe, and when you take out that and the hops, you're left with a beer which relies too heavily on sweetness for effect to be anything I'd want to drink a lot of.

2.9/5  rDev -21.4%

Don't know about the Kritalklar style, if the Kristall and the normal heffe were sitting side by side, i'd go for the Heffe, no doubt. This is still quite pleasant though.

Pours a bright gold with a large, fizzy head that dies too quickly. A good many fat bubbles rise to the top. The nose is full of apples and nuts with a phenolic edge. Very crisp. Flavor is very bready, with wheat crackers, and apple juice. I like how, with each sip, I get that tart feeling in the back of my mouth near the molars. Like drikning cranberry juice (in the sense of the tartness only). This is all brought down in the aftertaste of band-aids. The band-aids are killing this for me. Crisply carbonated with a moderately light weight on the tongue. This is decent enough, but the weird aftertaste ruins the drinkability on this one.

Appearance: yellow, crystal clear, plentiful wheat head, best part of the brew
Smell: faint malt, some perfume-like scent that I couldn't pin down, not much else
Taste: weak tasting, missing much of what makes wheat beer drinking enjoyable
Mouthfeel: thin, sort of like an American lager
Drinkability: inoffensive, but thats not a good reason to buy a beer
Overall: just buy the Franziskaner Hefe, no reason to drink this beer again

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

16.9 oz bomber no freshness date.
Pours clear golden, with a huge fluffy marshmallow white head that lasted for what seemed like an eternity. As it slowly receded it left chunks of sticky lace in it’s wake.
Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.
Flavor is a litle fruity with a little pepper.
Finish is clean with a little touch of wheat.
I prefer the unfilterd version.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

Freaking giant head. Very pale yellow color, with a tinge of chartreuse. Club-weisse has a slightly wheaty nose, and looks like a pilsner, but tastes like a hefe - kinda. I liked this beer a little, but not too much, though it was light and kinda refreshing. This one seemed a touch off, and I'm going to taste it again to give it a fair shot.

Tasted from a 16.9 oz bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Chilled bottle poured into a Franziskaner glass.

Bright gold in color with lively effervescent bubbles flowing up towards a creamy thick head with solid retention.

Nose is strong with wheat as one would expect from a wheat based brew. Summer fruits and banana notes come through too.

Taste is strong with the fleshy wheat taste and peppered with sweet malt and citrus notes. Whilst in the mouth the beer is crisp and medium bodied with healthy carbonation.

Good fresh beer that would couple well with shell fish

3.1/5  rDev -16%

3.12/5  rDev -15.4%

This is the first Kristal-Weizen I've ever tried. Super-clear yellow-gold color, looks like an American Pilsner except with a big puffy head. Smells like grass and lemons, taste was kind of lemony as well and somewhat spicy, but too mild. This beer was OK but just not enough flavor for me, tasted almost watered down. The fizzy mouthfeel and clean finish will slake your thirst, but if I had a choice I'd take their Hefe-Weisse or Dunkel over this one.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

To me this was a overly complex budweiser in a lot of ways. Definitely more craft and taste, but still lacking. It pured a middle of the road golden witha thick white head that did not fade for a long time. The smell was sweet with strong scents of bannana. The taste was more dried bannana as well as some dried apricot flavors. I felt that the mouthfeel was the best part of this brew. It was thick and creamy, which is not what the appearence would have indicated. A decent beer, but not one I am keen on trying again.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%

I tasted this beer at Brauhaus during my first sitting there with Junde and Rex. It looks nice
like any clear weizens with a medium head. It has a typical weizen taste to it but sadly
also a strange sour taste which I did not find really pleasant. It was not tangy but stil
I do not like sourish taste in beers. Just like the Belgian Lambics which I am not too sure of
except that I definitely do not like the Mort Subite Kriek. On the whole I am not impressed
with this Kristallweizen though I really did not taste enough of it.
(Disclaimer: I did not have enough of this beer to write a review. This review is based on
what I feel from what I have tasted and I am writing it because I probably would not be
having this beer again.)

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

pours a clear pale yellow with a deent head. Not much in the way of aroma, slight malt and mild citrusy hop smell. Taste was rather bland, lifeless, and short lived. This beer was thirst quenching, but nothing to really make me want another. Thin mouthfeel and unimpressive.

Franziskaner Weissbier Kristallklar from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu