Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Read the review
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse DunkelFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

3.8

Ratings: 1,679 |  Reviews: 822

1.25/5  rDev -67.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.46/5  rDev -61.6%

Im sorry but this beer is not at all good to me. Thats just me, it may work for others. Was hoping it would be somewhat good since it was a Dunkel. Wont even review it, sorry. Had to fight just to finish half of the glass. I guess I just dont like German wheat beeer

1.47/5  rDev -61.3%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this didn't go down to well. Poured out brown with a nice head. Lots of sediment. Tastes of wheat, and sour fruit. I like Franziskaner's regular Hefe (was my first of the style,) but this one just doesn't hold up. Although it was cheap, it tasted cheap. No more will this enter my home!

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

1.5/5  rDev -60.5%

2.11/5  rDev -44.5%

A: murky orange/brown, the color of rust with a very creamy, off-white head.

S: There is a low malty flavor with some bready yeast character. Im getting a big whiff of clove and not a whole bunch else.

T/M: I normally don't combine my taste and mouthfeel reviews but in this case I find it a necessity. This beer, in my opinion, is way overcarbonated. As a result, Im finding it hard to taste much else. There is a sharp burn at the onset of the first sip and it simply increases intensity as you move the beer over your tongue. there is a hint of clove in the background, and a very subtly maltiness. It feels like there is potential there but the overall impression is just a watery taste.

D: Fighting the carbonation all night won't make for an easy drinker

2.13/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In appearance a little more dark than its sister Heffeweizen; i cinfirm its fruitty taste, smell like a malt liquor; mouthfeel and drinkability are low in the average, i try this beer with salad and cheese, not try with mexican or american food; i always serve on a glass mug; 45% recommended.

2.24/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Look's pretty good, dark and big creamy white head that forms a contrast.

Aroma is a bit unusual, not sure how to describe it really...not very inviting, quite gassy...kind of a carbon dioxide overload.

It certainly has some interesting flavours happening. But do I like them? Maybe. I am changing opinion as I continue to drink. Tastes are of maybe cloves, banana peel, lemon peel and banana. Better as it warms up.

Overall, it's pretty good. Just a bit heavy, from the wheat. Not easy to drink lots of these, due to the high gluten. At least there is good overall taste VS just malt and wheat, that adds more complexity when compared to many other similar style beers.

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

2.26/5  rDev -40.5%

I loved Franziskaner HefeWeisse, so I thought I'd give this one a shot. I was greatly disappointed.

A: Big beige head over hazy brown. Held up to the light, the orange really comes out. A good amount of sediment. Average retention and no lacing to speak of.
S: Surprisingly dry and biscuity malt characteristic. Banana and clove are faint, as is the citrus.
T: Dry malt dominance. One other thing really coming out is the diacetyl butter notes, which is unfortunate. A little tangy. I'm getting barely any wheat and the malt characteristic is certainly not what I expected.
M: Light body, low carbonation bordering on flat.
D: This beer tastes like an old, infected brown ale. I'm really disappointed here, but will give it another shot and re-review in the event that I got a bad bottle.

2.29/5  rDev -39.7%

Not a fan.

As I poured it into a chalice, I was impressed by the dark, almost quarupel look to it. Mahogany and rich. Gorgeous head on it.

As I put my nose to it, it didn't meet my nostrils in a pleasant way. Very metallic odor, and not in a good way (metallic never is "in a good way"...).

I sipped on it anyway, and it was very bland and watered down. This was nearly right out of the fridge, so I decided I'd let it warm up a little and see what happened.

After about another 10 minutes in the glass, I tried again. I was even more disappointed. Still watery, and it seemed a little extra foamy in my mouth. Weak, but foamy mouthfeel. Weird. In addition, the finish had a strange, almost "artificial sweetener" aftertaste to it. Very, VERY strange.

I'm not a fan of this brew.

I've had the Hefeweizen from Franziskaner before and was hoping this would at least match it, but I'm severely disappointed.

2.37/5  rDev -37.6%

Dark cloudy brown, with an off-white head. Banana and malt aroma. Watery mouthfeel, that teeters between smooth and crisp towards the finish. Taste consists mainly of malt, yeast and sour fruit. As beer warms flavor takes on an almost "pumpkin" taste to it. This one didn't appeal to me at all.

2.37/5  rDev -37.6%

I thought this stuff was God-awful. I could not even get through drinking what I had. Pours a cloudy brown with a decent foamy head. Could not detect very much from the nose. Some banana flavors, maybe some chocolate, and definite malt characteristics. Full-bodied mouthfeel. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this stuff just did not go over well wiht me. Besides macro-swill, this may be one of the worst beers I've sampled.

2.38/5  rDev -37.4%

**Please tolerate my 'Short Review Series' which come from sparsley populated notes.

Color looks like Mr. Hanky took a swim. Opaque, cloudy, guess it wasn't the color I was expecting. Nice head though. Aroma of very light clove and .... maybe not much more. Citrus? I don't think it's very flavorful either. Smooth at least.

Overall: not impressed

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Poured a golden copper with even cloudiness throughout. Nice head that leaves no lacing behind on the glass. Has a terrific bready aroma.

Unfortunately, the beer is nearly flavorless. Really surprising. This beer is terrific on the nose, but falls surprisingly short on taste. A metallic, lemony acidic flavor falls quickly over the tongue. Mouthfeel is horrible. Has the carbonation of a soda.

I drank about a pint and tossed the rest.

2.46/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very dark orange, short lasting head with not as much carbination as the regular Hefe. Nose contains hints of yeast, bananas, some spice, with some doctor band-aids, and one of those terrible candied white chocolate waffers all sitting on top of a slice of an old raunchy orange. What can I say, the nose ruined this half-house effort for a dark wheat. The palate gives a little bit more hope with a little bit more creamyness that can off-set the off nose, but the dunkel gnome malts never really find a finish and leave you wondering where did the little flavor dunkel gnomes roll out to at the finish? I can only imagine what kind of whip they are sitting on, but i guarantee it has to have like a trillion horse-power. Its not really that atrocious, but theres better!

2.51/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured out with alot of head. Golden color but the smell didn't impress me. smelled like a cross between band-aid material and hand soap with a hint of banana peel. Feels very watery on the palate with very malty wheat flavor. Probably the last time I will try this one.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu