Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 823
2.94/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Dark brown, small bubbled, small head beer. Oh yeah, I should prolly say that I'm not a dunkel fan, so this is my rating based on my subjective relative dislike of the style. Please don't beermail me if you're a cicerone homie concerned by a guy's opinion online not conforming to conventional wisdom or style guidelines. Nerd.

Aroma was mild, thankfully didn't impart the ton of alcohol I get from most in this realm. Taste has all kinds of dark fruit, banana, fruit yeast impact. Its like a batch of dark bread, with a bunch of clove and spice rack. I dunno, this could probably work with a heftier malt presence of barley, but so much of the spice rack dominates this, and you get weird yeast banana flavors that don't jive with roasted malt/wheat in this lacking proportion.

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

-Typical Hefeweizen with Banana,clove,quite a strong wheat flavour.
-there was absolutely nomalt character here
-undercarbonated
-finish was too light

The fact that malt was nonexistent in this leads me to believe they used artificial darkener in this.Certainly wont put it behind ABInBev.
Tasted like a normal Franziskaner Hefe except with less carbonation and lighter-bodied
The Erdinger Dunkel wasnt great either but at least it tasted like a Dunkel

2.98/5  rDev -22.2%

Ap Pours a cloudy and murky pale brown with a foamy three finger head that holds on.

Sm Not so much, some faint chocolate and banana.

Ta An odd spice, a little citrus, and maybe some candy? flavor in there.

Mf Light, thin and fizzy.

Dr It's a very peculiar tasting beer to me. I could drink a couple, but one will do for now.

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%

I typically like German dark wheat beers, but this is just a so-so example of the style. It pours a cloudy, dull brownish color, with a decent head that does stick around for awhile. The smell is yeasty, a little musty, maybe earthy if that is what you want to call it, but I wouldn't call it enticing. The taste is roughly medium bodied, there is just a tad of sweetness, I can taste a little clove maybe a little maple in there, along with the yeasty wheat flavor of a hefe. There is very little in the way of hop flavor, maybe a tinge in the middle, nothing on the end. This may be a little on the too watery side for a dark wheat beer, probably less sweet than other typical wheat beers. It's an okay beer, but that is all I can say. Recommended but you can do better. L'Chaim.

Appearance: baby diarrhea or bilge water (take your pick)- either is unappealing to drink; but big beautiful beige head compensates a little
Smell: yeasty, bready, faint hops, very pleasant, possibly the strong point of the brew
Flavor: The clean, crisp apple-like quality of the flavor of a typical Hefewiezen is masked by molasses in this dunkel. I missed it.
Mouthfeel: high carbonation, foamy, remaining crispness were all appealing
Overall: boring, somewhat one dimensional in taste, absolutely could not stand the murky shade of brown, I was turned off as soon as I poured the beer

I originally sampled this beer on 18 January 2003. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This beer is brown in color with a tan head.
Mouthfeel: This dunkel is medium bodied
Flavor: a slightly wheaty tasty
This is a nice, average beer. Not bad, not great

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu