Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 823
4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Hazy homemade iced tea brown-orange, with an abundance of head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S: Clove and banana bread. Sweet and malty.

T: Lots of clove upfront, some lemon peel, sweet banana bread, and some butter.

M: Champagne-like bubbles with a slightly slick mouthfeel and a crisp finish except for the yeast flavor hang out a bit longer.

D: This is great winter sesion. Iwill be drinking more of this in the future.

This bier is just great; I would have to say it is my favorite. It looks great; I love the smell as I lift my Weizen glass to my mouth. I’ve offered it to friends and they also love it. The price is usually less than other German Weizen biers, which make it even better.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle

A: Pours a murky, cola colored brown, with even some slight hints of a golden yellow along bottom, under a good amount of white head. Good retention, no lace.

S: First smells of a nice banana bread, some sweet malt, a hint of yeast.

T: Malty sweetness up front turns to a brown sugar/caramel sweetness in between with some banana mixed in. Finish is ultimately a sweetish banana with a very mild bitterness. Hints of a yeast thrown in as well, nice taste, but needs a little bit of help.

M/D: Medium to light bodied, maybe a little watery, carbonation is just right on the tongue. Drinkability is good on this one, really refreshing.

a: This beer is a muddled cloudy burnt umber color. It pours with a big fluffy white head.

s: I love the following phrase. I smell sweet banana wheat. I also smell some pepper and a bit of bubblegum.

t: Spicy pepper gives way to sweet bananas up front. There is a dry floral hop for the finish.

m: Very refreshing and effervescent.

d: Easy to find and damn tasty, a great combination.

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Opened 16.9oz Bottle and poured into Weizen glass.

Slow pour produced large 3" head, that slowly dies down. Head is very creamy, with fine bubbles. Color is nice mahogany brown, light haze.

Smell is of malts, slight fruity with large gust of banana. Banana really comes out on palate, but also some nuttiness. This beer is a lot sweeter than what I normally expect, but very good and I think I'll add this one to the ones I normally keep around.

There is a good bit of creaminess to this brew and the bubbles make it quite a pleasant treat. This is very smooth brew and finishes really nice.

Bring on the Brats...

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Wow this was a good one, I have had this beer long agom but am currently trying it as we speak, the taste is much better since I have quit smoking, I believe this would go good with a wood smoked pork or chicken possibly a nice pecan, hell I think this would go alright with venison. Maybe a good hearty pasta dish, perhaps a goulash (sp?).

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into my new weihenstephan weiss glass. Nice golden brown color, super frothy head. nice aromas of yeast, bananas,citrus, wheat(duh). Tastes wonderful, nice yeast taste, finishes with fruits. Tart mouthfeel, high drinkable. The midmorning German treat to start my day that I was looking for!

3.83/5  rDev 0%

poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a dark cloudy brown copper color withs a big tan head that dissapates rather quickly. smells mostly of sweet bananas and spices. taste is of bananas, malt and kind of has a nutty aftertaste. mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth. this is an interesting beer and worth a try.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%

A: A dark and cloudy brown with a decent head and little lace.
S: A very faint smell. Maybe some citrus, banana, a little spicy.
T: Very malty with a big banana and citrus taste. Not complex, but I like it a lot.
D: Great, I can put many of these away. Very smooth and a good coat of the mouth, A session beer.

This is one of my go to beers at bars. Very nice malt character that I enjoy tremendously.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Cloudy dark orange when held to a light, brown otherwise. The three finger head faded to a thick wisp.

S- Citrus banana and a touch of caramel.

T- The banana comes through nicely right in the middle surrouned by nutty and slight citrus flavors.

M- Decent noting too special.

D- Goes down easy, despite pretty high carbonation.

I have to admit this is the first beer of this style that I've tried. I liked it and I will be trying more.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: cloudy with a dark copper colour. The head is light tan to beige, huge and rich with a good although not great retention. Lots of lacings.
Aroma: sweet malts, wheat, yeast and a little of cloves.
Taste: confirms the smell with the nice addition of banana flavour.
Mouthfeel: creamy, medium carbonation, average alcoholic strength (5% ABV) and a full body.
Finish: spices and bananas.

Overall: very nice dunkel weizen. Complex, rich, friendly and round. A must have.

3.57/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours a murky hickory brown color, with an odd tint of gray. Two finger head has pretty good retention, but no lacing and no foam left on top of the glass.

S- A little disappointing. Very mild yeast esters, predominately a dusty clove. Faint raw wheat aroma mixes well with whiffs of sweet malt.

F- Theres the big banana flavor I was looking for! Still some clove-iness in the background. Tart wheat backbone and finish. Lingers on the palate.

M- very low carbonation, odd for the style. Silky smooth body.

D- Pretty good

Overall, not great, but not bad. There are certainly better dunkels out there, but this one is better than average. It's definitely worth a try, but don't go driving all over town to find some.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

this was #2 in my session ; pours a deep cloudy brown( had to update,this is a beautiful beer, just noticed halfway thru me weizen glass that it's 3 different colors under flourescent desk lamp,gold edges blending to an amber color, then the deeper brown !!! ) w/ a huge head that lasts, plenty of lacing : a wheaty,fruity aroma w/ an "applish" undertone, a faint spicy hop aroma as well ; a slighly tart bread-like flavor w/ a sweet caramely finish, a little on the thin side, though ; light bodied w/ lots of carbonation, dry finish ; a very drinkable brew, i can see why it's # 1 on the style example list...

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

I've had this many times in Hahndorf, South Australia, and I dare say it's one of my very favourite German beers.

A cloudy, opaque, light brown body with two finger head fills the glass during pour. There is very little lacing, but the retention is relatively impressive.

The aroma, while without stand-out definition, revolves around bananna and sweet malt. Hops and spice are also evident.

Sweet light fruits, wheat and some floral flavours come through most dominant upon first sip. Toasty malt lingers before the slightly bitter run-off aftertaste.

The only thing really letting this beer down is the over-carbonation, but it far from ruins it.

Highly recommended, and overall delight.

25 oz brown bottle, capped, with gold foil over cap.

This dunkel hefeweizen beer poured a murky brown color (light coffee color) with tall, creamy, light tan foam that persisted long and clung to the glass a bit. The smell was a pleasant lightly fruity (banana) malt aroma with notes of wheat and bread. The taste was malty, lightly sweet, with a gentle flavor of banana and hints of caramel and yeast. There was a mild hop flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth but with a mild tangy touch. There was a lingering caramel malt type aftertaste. This was an enjoyable and drinkable weiss beer.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Poured reddish, brown. Lots of off white fluffy head, but disappeared pretty quickly, with a little bit of lacing. Smell was very mild, slight fruit, sweet aroma, but nothing over powering.
Taste surprised me. Very flavorful, considering the slight aroma. Malt, fruity citrus, and a hint of hops.
A very drinkable beer, I would recommend.

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured light brown with a 3/4 inch white head.

Very strong banana smell in the nose. Overpowered the malt.

Tastes very floral. Surprising considering how much banana was in the nose. Also tastes of toasted barley.

Moderate to high carbonation. It has a lighter mouthfeel but is very full flavored.

Very easy drinking.

Beer bottle (50cl), tasted in 2002.

Appearance: The Franciscan heritage of the Spaten group was reminded by a range of wheat beers (weiss, kristal weiss, dunkel weiss ...)
Smell : bananas and cloves
Taste and mouthfeel: The Dunkel is malty, creamy, with the final notes of cinnamon and pepper.
Drinkability: a good beer in the style dunkel weiss

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Cloudy dark red brown with large white/tan head, lacing that stuck around

S- Hoppy smell with spices and a nice sweet smell

T/M- Light Hop taste slight fruity after taste and a good wheat taste all the way through

D- Nice beer very smooth and very drinkable. Would defiantly buy again. Nice for a hefe-weisse that it is dark.

3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

Into the tulip.

A - Dark caramel with cotton head that leaves quickly. Lacing prevalent throughout experience.

S - Major aroma. Spice stands out, reminds me of the seasonings on a steak. Banana and wheat too.

T - Candy and bitterness at end. Too carbonated. Not a very heavy beer, a little thinner than I like.

M - Thinner and too carbonated, as mentioned. Not a bad beer, fun to try, just not a great beer.

D - I like carbonation, but the carb on this one turns me off.

4.06/5  rDev +6%

A - nice head on it but disappears almost entirely rather quickly. Very clean on the glass, no evidence of any lace remains.

S - very little smell to it at all, maybe a little fruity. maybe.

T - wonderful! citrus-like initially then finishes very mildly with a slight toffee aftertaste.

M - rather on the carbonated side but not too much to throw me off it. finishes very cleanly.

D - very drinkable and highly recommended! would work fine with some bar food or just by itself, or better yet with wurst and sauerkraut. I'll have no trouble finishing my 16.9 oz. sans any food. Hats off to Franziskaner for a very quaffable Hefe-Weisse Dunkel!

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

I drank this beer from a Weizen glass. When poured this beer had a thick creamy head and had a slight spicey smell. Has a cloudy amber brown color. Very smooth, creamy, malty taste that is very drinkable.

This is the first dunkel weizen I have had and I must say that I am now a fan.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

Ok, so I had to get my German fix on last night as always. Looking through the fridge trying to decide on where to go with this, I saw this foiled top beauty sitting on the back shelf. Probably been there a couple weeks, so I figured it was about time I gave it a try. Poured a nice, very clear russet brown color with a huge billowing tan head gracing the top of it. A good amount of sediment came off the bottom of the bottle and rested atop this as it took what seemed like forever to get back down. Copious amounts of lace then followed and almost totally obscured the contents of the glass as you went down. Smell was kind of light, nice smoked and roasted malts with a touch of caramel and some slight nuttiness to it. This carried over well into the flavor as it displayed a noticeable earthy grain type back with a touch of a smoked bitterness in the finish and a nice caramel sugar accent in the middle. Very consistent feel throughout as it was very medium bodied, and had just the slightest amount of carbonation once it got to the bottom. Very easy drinker though as nothing really held you back from it at all. Overall I really thought this was pretty decent. I have had much better but I really could not say it was bad in anyway, just not the greatest brew I have had of the style. Still, a quality choice and something that should not be overlooked when sitting on a shelf. If it is there go for it, you could do a lot worse.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a wheat glass pours a brown amber color with a fluffy carmel colored head that hangs a bit but does not stay around to long. Smell is very citrus with hint of malty goodness in there as well. Taste was a bit blandn heavy carbonation and a bit of citrus flair with a small bitterness brought on by the hops, over all this was pretty good and went down very smooth and quickly but the heavy carbonation was a bit of a turn off for me. I would have this again though.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

I poured this into my glass and was greeted by a two inch thick layer of cloudy creamy head, absolutely beautiful. Smell was delicious, bananas and spices, like a tasty banana cake. I did notice however the flavors were not as pronounced as the smell, but that is forgiven in the creamy and awesomely refreshing mouthfeel this beer had. And in all honesty I could drink this all day long.

Overall, good stuff. Recommended.

Additional Note: After it warmed a bit, the flavors started to come out. Pretty much tastes as it smells, Banana and spice, very tasty. Get this one, you won't be disappointed.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu