Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Read the review
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse DunkelFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

3.8

Ratings: 1,678 |  Reviews: 822
3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

A: A cloudy light copper beer. The creamy light tan head has an goo retention and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: Light notes of clove with a light fruitiness and a slight tartness. There is a light melanoidin and crusty bread grain aroma with German malt character along with some wheat malt sweetness. No hops and no diacetyl.

T: Nice, a malty hefe-weissen showing the rich and darker German malt character. There is the melanoidin, crusty bread and wheat malt flavors over a moderately-low hops bitterness. There maybe a moderately-strong spicy hops flavor mixing with the clove phenols from the yeast. The yeast also provides a moderately-low fruit flavors mostly banana. The balance is slightly malty with a slightly sweet finish and quick bitter aftertaste.

M: A moderately-light bodied beer with moderately-high carbonation. There is a crisp quality and no warmth nor astringency.

O: This is a Hefe with moderate dark malt characteristics and a little less clove and banana then a straight Hefe. Spice and fruit still dominate most aspect of the beer.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Half liter bottle poured into a German wheat glass. A relatively hard pour gives a 1.5 inch light tan head that dissipates into a 1/4 inch head that stays. Beer is a hazy orange brown.

German hefe yeast gives off a lot of pleasant banana smells. There is also some wheat smell. My nose isn't working up to par tonight, so smells aren't as strong.

Banana bread is the strongest flavor. I also get some dark fruitiness from the malts. Wheat backbone. Very sweet, but in a good way.

Carbonation feels good, but not too much. Body is not very heavy, making it very easy to drink.

A good traditional representation of a style that I don't get very often. I wish that I could compare this back-to-back to other beers of the same style.

2.29/5  rDev -39.7%

Not a fan.

As I poured it into a chalice, I was impressed by the dark, almost quarupel look to it. Mahogany and rich. Gorgeous head on it.

As I put my nose to it, it didn't meet my nostrils in a pleasant way. Very metallic odor, and not in a good way (metallic never is "in a good way"...).

I sipped on it anyway, and it was very bland and watered down. This was nearly right out of the fridge, so I decided I'd let it warm up a little and see what happened.

After about another 10 minutes in the glass, I tried again. I was even more disappointed. Still watery, and it seemed a little extra foamy in my mouth. Weak, but foamy mouthfeel. Weird. In addition, the finish had a strange, almost "artificial sweetener" aftertaste to it. Very, VERY strange.

I'm not a fan of this brew.

I've had the Hefeweizen from Franziskaner before and was hoping this would at least match it, but I'm severely disappointed.

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy orange-brown with a very durable and creamy tan head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing.

Aroma: yeasty banana and more subtle clove and light malt.

Taste: la well-integrated mix of flavors. Not bold but highly drinkable and easily recommended as a dining beverage.

M: smooth but a tad too thin and watery.

O: an exceptionally good-looking beer with fine flavor but a mediocre mouthfeel.

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Very nice appearance. The color is rich, root beer like, although paler than other dunkel Weissbier. Head is thick, rich and long lasting.

S- Smell is enjoyable. Touch of caramel and spices. The smell is stronger than the taste.

M- Although there is a lot of carbonation, the beer is easy to drink, almost too easy. The taste is very subtle, almost absent. The rich smell gives us false expectation.

O- I would recommend this beer for an easy drink. Would have expected more taste from a Franziskaner.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%