Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

franziskaner-weissbier.de

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 823

Tastey beer cannot drink just one

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

4.92/5  rDev +28.5%

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My dearest funks loved the dunks

4.84/5  rDev +26.4%

4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured on-tap into weizen glass...direct from the source in Germany!
A: Cloudy dark tan with hints of yellow around the edge. Thick, foamy head forms and lasts.
S: Malt, banana, clove, and other spices.
T: Superb and fresh flavors. Nice malt backbone that doesn't overpower. Equal parts banana, clove, and yeasty malt. Tremendous on-tap (not the same in the bottle unfortunately).
M: Wonderfully smooth and coats the tongue. Medium body...almost chewy. Taste lingers nicely.
D: Oh so drinkable. One weizen glass is not enough! My favorite dunkelweizen that I had in Germany.

4.81/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.81/5  rDev +25.6%

A dark, hazy caramel color, with a foamy head.

Smell: mix of caramel, banana tempura(not too sweet though), yeast, chocolate

taste: No bitterness at all, just malty goodness!

mouthfeel: full bodied, yet not thick. It was light and refreshing.

Drinkability: I could drink this all night!

One of my new favorites, especially for the fall.

4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

My favourite dunkel. It was also the first one I tried.

4.79/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My review is based on the draft version. Although first introduced to this beer in the bottle, I highly prefer draft beer and have owned a keg cooler for over 25 years. Anyone who owns a keg cooler system understands that selection is very limited compared to what is available in the bottle. The two dunkel wheat beers available where I live in the US are Franziskaner and Hacker-Pschorr. Both are very good, but the Franziskaner is more readily available year round and is therefore my favorite. The great thing about this beer is that there has never been a guest in my home who has not been pleased when served with a glass of this brew, including people who generally do not like beer and only drink light beers. It is truly exsceptional to find a beer that virtually everone from craft IPA drinkers to light beer drinkers enjoy. I can only hope that this dunkel and more of this style become available in the keg.

UPDATE 3-9-16: On 1/4 keg #38. Have not found any beer that I like better than Franziskaner Dunkel that is available year round in the keg, is affordable, and is this good. I hope they keep producing kegs of this great beer as long as I am alive.

UPDATE 9-10-2016: Now on keg #46, batch L03464. Essentially same as the previous keg L00864, both filled in April 2016 based on email from the Supervisor of Quality Compliance at AB-InBev Deutschland, Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu GmbH & Löwenbräu AG who explained that the last 2 digits of the lot code refer to year and month of the fill date. Thankfully my local beer distributor in PA still stocks this superb beer in kegs although I rarely find it in bottles anymore. To date, I have tried over 700 beers, including 20 varieties of my favorite style, dunkelweizen, and Franziskaner is still #1 overall based on flavor, drinkability, and availability.

4.79/5  rDev +25.1%

A slight smell of vinegar which I found very pleasant. Taste was supreme.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu