Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Todd on 07-13-2001

Ratings: 1,686 |  Reviews: 823
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Spaten Franziskaner Bräu dunkelweizen weissbier is my favorite beer ever, but it has always been hard to find. My specialty beer store had a time getting it, and they don't have it anymore. For the last year or so, World Market was the only place I could get it, and now they tell me it's been discontinued in that size. This site says its' still available. How do I get it?

4.75/5  rDev +24%

One of the four or five best examples of this style that I have ever had. Excellent on tap, especially if you get to Bavaria.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

great dunkel one of my favorites

4.72/5  rDev +23.2%

4.71/5  rDev +23%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

I lived in Germany for 13 years, (Army Brat) and used to drink Dunkel Hefeweizen, all the time. I don't remember the brand, but... this is the closest I've have gotten since I've been back to the US.

I'm not a beer connoisseur, but I have tried a lot. This ones top notch. If your looking for a authentic German tasting Dark wheat beer... look no further.

I don't always drink beer but when I do I drink Hefeweizen. (Dunkel where I can get it.) :P

4.68/5  rDev +22.2%

One of Germany's gems. Poured carefully into a tall hefe-weizen glass, you get a nice foamy head, dabs of lace and dark reddish brown color. This is one beer that you want the sediment from the bottom--I absolutely love seeing those yeast floaters swimming around in and finally settling. With all that, you're going to get some decent carbonation, not too strong but not too light. Already perfect.

Smells yeasty and nutty, neither characteristic overwhelming the the other. Yeast is like fresh baked rolls, nuttiness is mild and mellow. Yeast and malts up front when you finally take a taste, also somewhat grassy, nutty, with a slightly sweet background. Seriously thirst-quenching, slightly dry.

Totally satisfying mouthfeel, quite velvety...if it weren't so tasty I'd keep it in the mouth and on the tongue a lot longer.

It's on the heavier scale, though for a German dark it's not imposing. Still, you wouldn't want to have more than 2 unless you were looking to be weighted down and well-buzzed (not a high ABV, but I always get the large bottle). So maybe it's not perfect, but darn close.

4.67/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from 500ml bottle into my trusty nonic (the new official tasting glass).

Appearance: Pours a toffee color with a HUGE, thick, tan-ish head. The head dissipates slowly and leaves a lot of lace as it goes- a beauty.

Smell: Sweet, candy-like aroma. Slight fruitiness (apple, banana). Hints of wheat and yeast, as expected. Very inviting and appetizing.

Taste: Sweet maltiness and slight alcohol flavor. Finishes with an apple-like sweetness and tartness. Hints of toastiness and a very slight bitterness. As it sits, the roastiness comes out more with lots of banana-type flavor. I drank it at room temperature, it would probably tasted even better if it were a bit chilled.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, lighter bodied with a very natural feeling carbonation.

Drinkability: This is probably my favorite weißier and maybe the most "interesting" beer I have ever tasted. It has some very interesting and complex flavors, and I'm sure if mine were colder it would be extremely refreshing as other beers of the style are.

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance is an opaque rich brown with a very active head at first pour, let it settle and stirred up some of the yeast at the bottom of the bottle then finished the pour with a consistet 1/4" head at finish pour. Head went away after about a minute. Lace sticks around and slowly climbs down glass. Smells malty, chocolaty, sweet. Taste is thick, rich with malty goodness and very light hints of chocolate or toffee, banana is really coming thru more in taste than in smell. Mouthfeel is rich and creamy, nice even taste with sweet aftertastes and undertones. I would definitely drink this again. Sits very well on an empty stomach. A very nice composition for a Weisse.

4.66/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tried this one a few times in the past, always by bottle. Last sampled tonight on 12/29/13. 550ml (16.9 oz) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a hazy dark brown, like ice tea that has a good finger+ white foamy head. Lots of lacing was seen right to the end with each sip. The aroma is of dark bread with a hint of cloves and banana. Very pleasant. The taste was even better with a hint of dark fruit as well. Very easy to drink with perfect carbonation. Goes down easy with no bitter or harsh aftertaste at all. This is a really great brew for the colder months and never have been disappointed.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

ruby pour, awesome head, hazy throughout.
smell- yes, definitely cloves, banana, spice.
taste- one of my all time favorites(for, like, 30 years) although after so many i have come to be quite sensitive to the richness of these weisse brews.
mouthfeel is carbonation, spice; full feeling inside....
overall, this is, like i said, one of my favorite beers for so many years, before i tried so many others from belgium and before Total Wine and BEVMO came to town. OLD WORLD was the greatest place in the world and the best place to drink them. this isthe last one of the case i bought a few months ago and i'm srprised to find i hadnt reviewed it yet. i rated it, but didnt review it. i still love this stuff...

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite commercial beer. I'm always surprised that more people don't love it. I even love that happy monk on the label. I probably don't drink this the way a beer snob would think is correct. I like this very cold.

4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours to a deep brown color. Very nice aroma and has a smooth, yet full bodied taste. Excellent combination of malts and wheat. Slightly bitter, but no where near overbearing. A good hefe-weisse when you are looking for one with some extra maltyness and just a touch of extra hop flavor.
Thick and lasting head.
Served with lemon.

4.61/5  rDev +20.4%

I love this beer, smooth easy drinking. caramel and toffee ,sweet bananas, more than just a wheat beer, Dunkelweizen's are a awesome combo of hefe's and dunkel, a good year round beer

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu