Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

good
Read the review
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse DunkelFranziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel

3.8

Ratings: 1,671 |  Reviews: 820
2.53/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a weizen glass. Finger of head with a cloudy dark brown body.
Barnyard smell with a little ripe dark fruit. A bit muted though.
A little sweetness, mild bitterness and a chalkiness. Disappointing and weak taste. None of the style's characteristic richness.
Too fizzy, medium body.
Not impressed or interested by this.

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

A- Poured to a good head that had some lacing, but not much. Head was off white in color. Beer was cloudy and murky at the same time. Also tannish brown in color.
S- Smelled of bananas and yeasted malt.
T- Tasted of bananas and yeasted malt. With a slightly bitter aftertaste. Also bananas as a aftertaste.
M- Felt good in the mouth. Carbonation was about right. But a little bit on the watery side.
D- I wanted to try this Hefe Weisse and did. I wouldnt make a session out of this. I think the banana flavor was a bit too much for me.

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%

One of the better "Franzishizers," actually, I shouldn't call it a shizer, since its not shitty, but I digress.

Pours a nice dark, thin bubbled beer. Aroma, nothing apparent, but doesn't seem alcoholic like many of this breweries stuff.

Taste, here comes the strange nuances for this American boy's palate. Apple, banana, fig, raisin, all that kind of stuff I don't prefer to mix with my beer. If you're the standard guy who drinks hoppy ipas and fortified stouts, I don't think this complex batch is for you (or at least not me). But with that said, there is something respectable about the interplay between all these styles, and the malt bill here, that doesn't taste like the typical chocolate and coffee you might get for something this dark.

Can't give it good reviews on mouthfeel and drinkability. Its value to me is that of something different to sip, but I don't see myself going back to these.

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%

Color is a nutty dirty looking brown, off white ring around the cap.
Aroma is alot more muted compared to what i was expecting from a beer with weizen in the name. Not a strong yeasty note at all. there is some nutty earthy notes, and hint of spices.
The flavors pop a bit more, but follow the same notes of earthy nutty flavors. The clove flavors come out a bit but not like i envisioned. I am not finding intrest in much here.
Slightly creamy but thinner.

I'll skip this one in the future. to many outstanding ones from others.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured a dark color with a thick head that laced the glass well. The overall smell was kind of fruity with hint of nut. The taste of this beer was kind of standard, kind of bland in my opinion. I wasn't overly impressed with this beer. It was good, just nothing I would preferably drink. I personally was expecting more from this beer than what I got.

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pint bottle bought in Lincoln City Oregon. Nice enough looking beer, murky dark chesnut coloured with a frothy/chunky light tan head. The aroma was not as strong as I expected from a "real" German Dunkleweizen, all the regular components were there but very muted. fruity and peppery aromas. I was really quite dissapointed with the taste weak overall..yes all the usual "bananas and clove" was there but extremelly weakened. Palate was very thin and almost watery. Overall i felt let down by this one, below average for a German weiss beer

2.69/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I was surprised that I did not enjoy this beer as much as I thought I would. I loved Weihenstephaner Hefe Weiss, and wanted to try their Dunkel. The Craft Neer store did not have that, but this was recommended to me instead. I love German wheats, and I enjoy dark brews, but I am not A fan of the Franziskaner Weissbier Dunkel. It has an unpleasant metallic taste that pops up in the middle of the swallow, thank God it has a pleasant aftertaste that eclipses the metal. I will stil try the Weihenstaphaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel, but I will not be buying the Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier Dunkel again.

2.69/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.71/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass:

A: A dark brown, reddish color, which is very attractive overall. A decent two-finger head bubbles forth, and subsides after a couple minutes. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells like your typical Belgian weissbier. Peppery, vinegar-like aromas pervade. Earthy malt notes. Not a smell I care for all that much.

T: Tart, sweet, earthy. Boozy. I'm not the biggest fan of this Belgian flavor, but it isn't enough to keep me from drinking it.

M: Light carbonation and light body. Crisp, refreshing, drinkable, and enjoyable on the palate overall.

O: This was an alright beer, but not anything I'd look for in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Hazy, hazy light brown, big and pillowy head. Yeasty and citric aroma. Early orangey flavors, a little ester that strays toward nutmeg. Some sense of hazel nut. Cottony and very mild, mouthfeel is light and fades fast. Definite orange-rind aftertaste. Minimalist brew, doesn't strike me at all.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured a murky light orange color with a two finger tan head.

Smells of cloves, spices, semi-sweet citrusy

As it warms the banana flavor comes out, cloves, yeast

Very light bodied, a little watery, smooth

Very low ABV but to watery for me makes this not to drinkable

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Dunkel is one of my favorite styles in all the land. This one leaves me feeling like I need to search elsewhere. Now that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. It does, however, mean that it's not the best of the style I've had during my travels. Appearance is such a bogus category of the overall review, since it speaks to essentially nothing. I suppose one could argue certain styles should have certain physical characteristics, but appearance in and of itself is meaningless to the taste which is all that matters. That being said, copper brown is what is obviously observed with this beer. There is a slight head, but no lace to speak of and the head itself simply floats on the surface in a thin line. The aroma is very discreet...not much to talk about here for a dunkel, which should blast out malty something or other. Tough to figure this one out. There is an aroma but it is tinny which is a very deragotary description, but it is what it is. The taste is slightly malty...a very clean flavor but so limited in the mouthfeel. I expect a dunkel to be bursting with maltiness and hearty on the toungue, but that ain't happening with this one, much to my chagrin. I'll give this an average drinkability rating at best, but boy, what an average to sub-average beer altogether. I hate to write that about any beer, but it is what it is. A wholly unremarkable dunkel. I expected so much more.

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured from bottle chilled slightly below room temp into a Franziskaner tall glass.

Generates a pale brown head that stands at approx. 3 fingers however no where near explosive as others in its class which hints to a low carbonation.

Color is creamy translucent coffee brown.

Smell is very thin and only minor amounts of yeast wafts to the nose along with the almost obligatory banana and clove-ish aroma one associates not just with Hefe-Weiss but that unique Franziskaner tone.

The taste and the mouthfeel only add to the anaemic nose. Mild dried yeast and malts over power the fruit element of which banana is the strongest. The low carbonation suggested at pouring is not as bad on the mouth yet the level of carbonation is medium at best. The mouth does experience quick burst of smooth malt however it quickly runs off.

Not as bad as these tasting notes make it sound, however if I was to recommend a sample of the style - this wouldn't be it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark amber, good clarity, one finger head, nice and dense but not the billowing head of the standard Hefe-Weisse. Lots of clove phenols, bordering on plastic. Flavor contains more of that clove but also a strong flavor of rotten banana. Medium light body with high carbonation. Just can't really get past that plastic note in the nose and that rotten flavor. A shame given how much I like their standard Hefe.

2.86/5  rDev -24.7%

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours a very cloudy dull light brown with enormous off-white head. The head takes quite a while to recede to a thick blanket of film. Smells a bit bland; metallic hops and hard water over slightly sweet malts. Flavor is thin and dull; carbonated water, tinny hops, and a touch of malt that flashes by leaving no finish. Weak and uninspiring body, enlivened slightly by a trace of wheat creaminess. Not a particularly good dunkel weizen.

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%

Thick milkshake-like beige head tops the dark scarlet red brew. Aroma is musty and stale. The taste is better than the smell, but not by much. Slight phenolic tinges and fruity esters. Slight chocolate. Slight roasted malt. Creamy medium body. Drinkable, but pretty average for a dunkel weizen.

2.91/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle: standard German 500mL macro brown bottle and standard label.

Appearance: looks as decent as most Franziskaner wheat beers. Dark brown in colour with a traditional fluffy head that settles from two-fingers to one. Looks good.

Aroma: a very muted aroma - some traditional wheat beer banana and cloves, with some stunted and indistinguishable malts in the background. A bit funky too.

Taste: again quite muted. It doesn't seem so much like a dunkel as a standard wheat beer that has had some heavy dark lager poured onto it. Not awful, but certainly not amazing.

Aftertaste: the flavours linger reasonably well, but they are again quite stunted. Certainly not Frenziskaner's greatest works.

Mouth feel: I think this is the culprit. This beer really needs a higher carbonation. It is medium in body with a lower carbonation which struggles to carry the flavour through.

Overall: not a very good wheat beer neither a very good dunkel, particularly for what would be approx. AU$75 a case of 24 x 330mL. Get something else.

2.94/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Dark brown, small bubbled, small head beer. Oh yeah, I should prolly say that I'm not a dunkel fan, so this is my rating based on my subjective relative dislike of the style. Please don't beermail me if you're a cicerone homie concerned by a guy's opinion online not conforming to conventional wisdom or style guidelines. Nerd.

Aroma was mild, thankfully didn't impart the ton of alcohol I get from most in this realm. Taste has all kinds of dark fruit, banana, fruit yeast impact. Its like a batch of dark bread, with a bunch of clove and spice rack. I dunno, this could probably work with a heftier malt presence of barley, but so much of the spice rack dominates this, and you get weird yeast banana flavors that don't jive with roasted malt/wheat in this lacking proportion.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu