Spaten Optimator | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

3.9

Ratings: 3,049 |  Reviews: 1,333

2.28/5  rDev -41.5%

After reading the reviews here i thought i would enjoy this one as i enjoy others of the same style. Recents had a 5oz. sampler of it at Sunset Grill and Tap and I'm glad it was only 5oz.

The appearance looks great; a nice copper/dark brown with a thick one finger head that lasted the entire serving

Smell was okay, a little off what i expected, smelled a bit sweet and some caramel as well.

Taste was not good, at first could not quite detect what it reminded me of then i realized it was molasses. I very thin but similairly flavored type of molasses, almost tempted not to finish it.

Mouthfell was close to the taste, a thin molasses that if left to long on the palate became almost "un-swallowable"

Drinkablity was nearly impossible, i finished the 5oz but it was indeed a chore, will not have again any time soon and can't in good conscience recommend this brew

2.3/5  rDev -41%

This was a tough beer for me to drink. I love stouts and porters, but I don't have much experience with doppelbocks. If this is what doppelbocks are like, I'll stick with stouts and porters.

No head.

I found the beer tasted burnt and somewhat sour/bitter. Not a crisp, hoppy bitter, but rather an unpleasant stale bitter I can't put my finger on. Because this is a different taste than that described in some other reviews of this beer, maybe I didn't get the freshest bottle. I don't know.

Not for me. Your mileage may vary.

2.36/5  rDev -39.5%

A - Very dark and little foam.

S - Smell of dark malts, but can't tell of any hops.

T - Nice brown malt, but nothing more than that. It was not anything special.

M - It was alright. Fair amount of carbonation, but still a bit lacking.

D - After one drink I have had enough.

Whould I buy it again: No
Would I recommend it to a friend: Sure, why not.
Would I drink it if I was offered at a party: If it was the only thing there except Bud.
Overall: It was OK, not great, but OK. I mean I wasn't impression. Taste was a little weak. Nothing that I'm in love with. In the end, eh...

2.38/5  rDev -39%

2.41/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I think this one may have been skunky so maybe not accurate. Reading other reviews that were favorable but I really didn't care for this one

Appearance: Initially poured like a true dopplebock. Small tan head. Little carbonation. Deep copper. Clear amber in the light. No retention/lacing. After a little while I honestly thought it looked like sewage. Not very inviting but maybe its my overall impression clouding my judgment.

Aroma: No surprises here. Smells like yeast and sweet caramel. A tad hoppy?

Taste: This is where it tanks in my opinion. Way too hoppy for the style and it tastes skunky. Tastes more like a maibock - which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't a dopplebock. Sticky resin hops with slight char malts but virtually no sweetness. No detectable alcohol. Really not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Feels more carbonated than you'd think. Really coats the mouth. Sticky and if I thought it tasted better I wouldn't mind.

Overall: Like I said, if it said it was a maibock I'd probably enjoy it but I was let down. Not a terrible beer just a bad representation of the style

2.47/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a sexy deep brown with a nice big full tan headskie. Tastes, um... sickly sweet. Malts are big and full of sugars. All balance is shot by the sweet-tooth, alas. There might be more to this beer behind the sweet malts, but I'm too overpowered to find it. Mouthfeel and drinkability also suffers from sweetness. There are many many many better doppelbocks available.

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured chilled in flared glass

A: dark caramel, clear; very thick head; good carb beads; great lacing
S: a bit univiting; thin, malty (sweet) aroma; but I don't smell a bock here
T: one-dimensional bock; little double about it
M: watery, thin, dead

It looks fantastic, but 'tain't.

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

wow, this pours a gorgeous deep amber/brown color, topped by an inch of tan dense head that fades to a finger before sticking around quite a while. Spots of lacing are even left here and there.

Sadly the beer goes downhill quickly from the looks department. Definite "skunked" note in the aroma. It's not even very old. Vague sweet toasty Munich notes, but also a bit of a tart edge, and definitely a decent amount of metallic. Not impressed.

There is promise in the flavor, but too much wrong with it. Fairly sweet, some browned/toasted malt, nothing I'd call rich or "meal in a glass". Bitterness is low, metallic is not overwhelming but noticeable. Not roasty, but no chocolate either. Sweet malt with a touch of tartness is the lingering flavor on my palate. I either need it with a fuller mouthfeel and a richer malt profile if it is going to be this sweet, or I need it drier, more bitter, and maybe more alcohol. Either would be fine.

Body is surprisingly thin. Carb is appropriate, and as it is thin and not terribly high in alcohol, it is reasonably drinkable. The best thing that I can say about this beer is that it is a "looker"...but that isn't enough for me to buy it again.

2.49/5  rDev -36.2%

This beer pours a pretty dark amber color, almost a purple shade. Thin looking, not much to it. Head is fairly minimal, I feel like it should be more. Smell is skunky...yep, sour metallic skunkiness fills the glass, making it smell more like a cheap Euro lager than a rich malty Munich-brewed doppelbock. Slight hazelnut notes, but mostly skunk. Pew! Taste doesn't seem to be terribly affected, though. Can detect some smooth creamy toffee notes, but it doesn't last and the metal twang of skunk kills the flavor before it can bloom. Body is pretty good for the style, not thick, but solid and more mass.

Bottom line; this is why we don't put beers in green bottles! I'm sure this import version isn't as good as the real deal in Deutschland, and the fact that it made a long journey a long time ago makes this particular example a disappointment. I'll be keeping an eye out for a fresher version.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

Clear dark brick red pour gives way to quickly settling head with floating clusters of bubbles around the edge if the glass. Smells like a fruit salad left in the sun all day. Acidic and sweet like bile and corn. Maybe this beer tastes better on tap in Munich, tastes to me like concentrated ghetto 40oz.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

Pour is deep amber with not a lot of head on top. The smell is very malty, caramel prominent.

The flavour starts out with that same caramel sweetness, a bit of dark fruits, and a bit of an alcohol tone. Not as big as most Doppelbocks though, the flavours are there, but they aren't huge. Below average for the style.

The mouth on this, about average. Maybe a bit thin, but not bad. Drinkability, a 2. I'm unlikely to buy this again, just not good enough for the style.

The bottom line: I'm a big fan of the Doppelbock style, and while this is a passable example there are numerous others that I would take over this, including locally brewed options.

2.55/5  rDev -34.6%

Serving type: bottle, poured into Stella Artois glass

Unfortunately this beer suffered from it's packaging and handling. First of all it came in a green bottle which i didn't notice until i poured it out. So bad sign off the bat. Second of all the initial aroma was that of oxidation. Hiding in the background was some toasty and bready notes which would have stood out more if not for the oxidation.

Color was great. When held up to light it was a deep red and very clear.

Tasting was a little better than aroma but not phenomenal. Carbonation was slightly high but not off-putting. Mouthfeel was very thin which surprised me for such a high alcohol beer. The Bock-type notes were there but aroma definitely effected flavor impression.

Overall it was not a great beer tasting experience. I would have loved to try this beer on tap in Munich. I believe it would make all the difference.

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Warning this is an A.B.Inbev beer most people don't realize this! This is a very dark beer that has malt liquor listed on the label. It is moderately strong (7.2%) which an average beer drinker probably would not like. Has a strong grape / earthy after taste with a hint of what I like to call liquid smoke taste (roasts). Very sudsy with lacing (high sugar content) left on the inside of the bottle.

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

A-dark brown. slightly translucent. cream colored head that disappears

S-smells like syrup with a hint of molasses spice

T-comes in with an odd taste of dark grains and molasses syrup. it's a weirdly aged taste that i'm not fond of at all. matching after-taste.

M-medium carbonation with a very dry finish

O-this is one of the least drinkable german beers that i've had. something about it doesn't sir right with me. its fairly harsh and seems to be very off balanced. i think the molasses syrupy taste to it is just too much.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu