Spaten Optimator | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

Ratings: 3,080 |  Reviews: 1,341
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pleasing malty and sweet aroma. Minimal carbination and head. Taste was good, strong malt, sweet, caramel and maybe a trace of chocolate, long finish with some alcohol to me. My first experience with a Dopplebock, looking forward to comparing to other dark lagers and ales to pick a group of favorites. At this point, this may be a little on the too sweet side for me, but, still enjoyed the beer, and especially the smell. Agree with other comments about the green bottle - why put a good beer in a clear or green bottle?

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

This is one of my favorite classic German beers. This is a very decent, full bodied, flavorful, reddish amber beer with a good sweet, roasted grain smell. A roasted malt flavor with some hops in the aftertaste. Has a fair amount of head to it that dissipates almost immediately. Some toasted grains on the aftertaste so a little bitterness as the aftertaste with a hint of some grapefruit. A dry finish which would go good with any good meal.

2.41/5  rDev -38%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I think this one may have been skunky so maybe not accurate. Reading other reviews that were favorable but I really didn't care for this one

Appearance: Initially poured like a true dopplebock. Small tan head. Little carbonation. Deep copper. Clear amber in the light. No retention/lacing. After a little while I honestly thought it looked like sewage. Not very inviting but maybe its my overall impression clouding my judgment.

Aroma: No surprises here. Smells like yeast and sweet caramel. A tad hoppy?

Taste: This is where it tanks in my opinion. Way too hoppy for the style and it tastes skunky. Tastes more like a maibock - which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't a dopplebock. Sticky resin hops with slight char malts but virtually no sweetness. No detectable alcohol. Really not a fan.

Mouthfeel: Feels more carbonated than you'd think. Really coats the mouth. Sticky and if I thought it tasted better I wouldn't mind.

Overall: Like I said, if it said it was a maibock I'd probably enjoy it but I was let down. Not a terrible beer just a bad representation of the style

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%