Spaten Optimator | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Style: Doppelbock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

Ratings: 3,080 |  Reviews: 1,341
1.5/5  rDev -61.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%

.5L bottle

pours dark caramel with a 1" tan head. Zero head retention & lacing

Smell: Big breadiness and spice (peppery)

Taste: Malt, vanilla, and peppery (like a dick cheney 28 gauge shotgun blast). Dryness, slight nutiness, some hop bitterness and alcohol on the finish

MF: Slick& chewy , good carbonation

Pretty drinkable, but I consider this the low end of the dopplebock spectrum abv-wise. yummy just the same! Just didn't quite come together from the crtical beer drinkers's view point. Enjoy!

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark reddish-brown body with a small, off-white head.

Smell: Somewhat sweet-smelling aroma of carob, dark fruits, and apples.

Taste: Mild dark caramel flavor mixed with some carob sweetness. Accompanying notes of dark fruits and chewing tobacco. Very minor hint of apple. Only a faint amount of hop spiciness, but no real bitterness. Touch of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's a pleasant middle-of-the-road doppelbock.

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a ruddy brown color with a small, off-white head on top. Not much retention, and leaves behind some very thin lacing.

S: Some dark fruit, raisins and a little plum, some brown sugar and caramel.

T: Rather sweet. Caramel, brown sugar, and a good bit of dark fruit. More raisins and plums as well as a little bit of fig.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth.

O: Pretty good beer, seems to fit the style well, but not my favorite. Wouldn't have a problem drinking it again.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Ruby-infused dark walnut brown. The jewel tone red looks more orange when there's less beer to peer through, such as at the bottom edge of the glass. The pale cinnamon head is large to start, has a nearly blemish free surface and is a bit sticky where foam meets glass. Not too much lace, a few scattered splotches is all.

The nose is of roasted malt with a wee whiff of alcohol. It's somewhat disappointing since there's little chocolate or other interesting aromas that would give it depth or character. Then again... the nose takes on additional aromas--dark caramel especially--with warming, but still doesn't open up as completely as the flavor.

The flavor and the mouthfeel elevate things considerably. While the beer is nice and malty, apparently the malt wasn't roasted long enough to bring out much chocolatiness. Some cocoa flavor and some nuttiness is evident however. Hops are clearly subservient to malt, but I can still appreciate their flavor contribution, their bitterness and their ability to take the edge off of the malted milk ball sweetness.

I'm beginning to pick up some fruitiness and the beer is developing more layers of flavor, more nuance, as I enter the bottom half of the bottle. It's definitely coming into its own with warming; room temperature is the optimal Optimator temperature one might say. The body is medium-slightly full. More full than Celebrator, less full than Liberator. What was lightly silky initially is now silky and creamy.

Spaten Optimator is a good-very good doppelbock, but doesn't quite rise to the heights of my two latest beers in the style (Hooker Liberator and Sam Adams Double Bock). If you like doppels though, Optimator more than suffices. Just don't make the mistake of drinking it too cold.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.93/5  rDev +1%

So...after my last not so satisfying review of a Dopplebock, I figured I needed another one to try and make sure it wasnt just the style that I was having some issues with. In scouring(well not really) the shelves of my local store I saw the Spaten Optimator. Now I love me some Spaten, and I figured if someone could do the style right it would be a german brewery. So, with all that being said, I dive into the optimator...

Poured a very clear, dark amber, almost a hazelnut brown in appearence. No head what so ever, which I am starting to realize is more the style then anything. Great carbonation as evident from teh streaming bubbles coming from my glass throughout the session. A bit of lace, but nothing spectacular throughout the glass. Overall the appearence was decent, nothing knocked me over and even though it was crystal clear, it did not look thin in any way. Very nice color overall and clarity is a plus.

The smell was rather light. What was detected was some nice roasted malts and a bit of a sweetness. Did not really knock me over in the aroma, however it wasnt old, or musty smelling. It had a nice crisp, fresh air about it. And the overall sense of a dark or roasted feel was definatly there. Decent on the aroma, and better then a couple others I have tried, I just had wished it had a little more punch to it, just somethign to let me know it was there a bit more. but definatly not bad, I would have to go average here for this one.

So, I have really not like the feel of the Dopplebocks I have tried lately, but let me say right off the bat this was much, much better. A great smooth, albeit light, but not degradingly so, feel was very clearly evident. Great carbonation though made it go down as smooth as water. Great malted profile. It gave me a fullness I had not expierenced with the others I have tried. Lots of roasted barly and earthy tones were clearly evident. A nice spicey, almost fruity note in the back, but ever so faint. This really was a malt bomb. The bread tones were fantastic, and it really felt like a meal. A slight touch of alcohol, but nothing too terribly rough at all. Great feel and flavor, I really did enjoy sipping this during dinner.

Well, well, well this may have single handedly brought me back to the style. I really love my German beers, and grandma would be proud. Spaten did not let me down, as I am now definatly looking forward to try a few more from this style. This went very well with hamburgers of all things tonight, it was just light enough to be sessionable, sort of, more likely drinkable during a hot night, but yet dark enough to peak intrest and really get you into the sipping mode for a while. Overall I am really glad I picked up a six pack pf this, I will be enjoying it very much over the next couple weeks. A fantastic beer from a great brewery.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I purchased this from Wegmans, enjoyed chilled in a pokal.

The color is deep brown with translucent clarity and thin tan cap with fine bead. The smell is slightly caramel with some nutty malt aromas with mild floral hop ester. The feel is good with moderate sweetness and medium carbonation with slight dry body with mild spice and light alcohol in the finish.

The taste has some malty presence with some moderately toasted munich and caramel malt sweetness with some nutty flavor with creaminess from the yeast. The flavor is more sweet than anything with gentle spice in the background. Overall this is a pretty drinkable bock, not too strong but still might not have multiples since it is on the sweet side. Not a very complex beer but fits the style well enough

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a caramel color with a small off-white head. Not terribly impressive.

S: At first the nose is quite harsh. Slightly burnt with a little bit of a funkiness to it. However, as I let it warm up, the beer starts to come around and displays some nice caramel and dark fruit sweetness, as well as some toasted bread.

T: Similar story with the flavor. The first few sips are harshly alcoholic and astringent with a little bit of cough syrup. As it warmed up, some of that went away and some of the more traditional and pleasant flavors of caramel, raisin, and black cherry came through.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Hard to rate this beer as it did have some good flavors, but it also had some bad ones.

3.82/5  rDev -1.8%

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a flared flute glass at Bauer's Brauhaus.

Still sittin' at the Brauhaus, watching the Cubs tank another game. Sad, really. Anyway, this brew pours a clear dark sunset burnt sienna-amber topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises buttery caramel, very light roasted malts, brown sugar, and Belgian candi sugar. The taste holds notes of buttery caramel, light roasted malts, brown sugar, cinnamon, faint-ish dark greens, and some mild cocoa powder. The body is a rather light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a solid d-bock, a bit on the thin side, but mighty tasty and enjoyable.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A - dark brownish amber with a red hue; half of an inch of thick, soft, brownish head; great retention

S - musty, caramel, yeasty, toffee, faint chocolate, very faint dark fruit

T - chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, faint cherries, faint alcohol, toffee, lingering bitterness in the finish

M - medium bodied, smooth, a crisp carbonated finish, a bit warm

This is a pretty decent beer. The flavor is solid, but the bitter finish doesn't mesh well with the rest of the profile. The nose is also pretty decent, but it has that traditional euro musty note. Overall, it's definitely worth checking out

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

The when I was first getting into beers over the summer I picked up a couple different products from Spaten, one of them being the Optimator. Had no clue what I was getting myself into at the time, and I didn't even know what a dopplebock was. I think I thought it was really thick and off flavored at the time, so I saw it on tap at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse had to give it another shot. This beer is definitely toned down in comparison to most dopplebocks that are made today, but this isn't a bad thing because it is still a solid representation of the style. A deep ruby red tone with a thin cream colored head settles quickly. The aroma consists of a light bouquet of malty goodness, and with the first sip I couldn't get over how drinkable this beer is. With a nice trace of figs and plum to the taste, this beer had a very sweet finish very balanced and enjoyable. Like a said a little on the lighter side for a dbock, but the lighter body gives this beer an increased drinkability.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu