Spaten Optimator | Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-06-1999

3.9

Ratings: 3,048 |  Reviews: 1,333
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a ruddy brown color with a small, off-white head on top. Not much retention, and leaves behind some very thin lacing.

S: Some dark fruit, raisins and a little plum, some brown sugar and caramel.

T: Rather sweet. Caramel, brown sugar, and a good bit of dark fruit. More raisins and plums as well as a little bit of fig.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks smooth.

O: Pretty good beer, seems to fit the style well, but not my favorite. Wouldn't have a problem drinking it again.

Appearance- Nice dark cola color, has ruby color when seen in the light. Average head, which pours fairly creamy.

Smell- Nice malty caramel smell.

Taste- Malty with caramel taste. Fairly smooth, but tastes full, and not as filling as I would have thought.

Drinkability- Very good, I really enjoy this style nowadays. Definently a beer I'll be drinking again when the mood hits me.

Overall, there isn't much to say about this beer. Optimator is about what you'd expect from a company like Spaten, no big surprises here. It gets the dopplebock style down really well, but doesn't rise above the level of being very good.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

So...after my last not so satisfying review of a Dopplebock, I figured I needed another one to try and make sure it wasnt just the style that I was having some issues with. In scouring(well not really) the shelves of my local store I saw the Spaten Optimator. Now I love me some Spaten, and I figured if someone could do the style right it would be a german brewery. So, with all that being said, I dive into the optimator...

Poured a very clear, dark amber, almost a hazelnut brown in appearence. No head what so ever, which I am starting to realize is more the style then anything. Great carbonation as evident from teh streaming bubbles coming from my glass throughout the session. A bit of lace, but nothing spectacular throughout the glass. Overall the appearence was decent, nothing knocked me over and even though it was crystal clear, it did not look thin in any way. Very nice color overall and clarity is a plus.

The smell was rather light. What was detected was some nice roasted malts and a bit of a sweetness. Did not really knock me over in the aroma, however it wasnt old, or musty smelling. It had a nice crisp, fresh air about it. And the overall sense of a dark or roasted feel was definatly there. Decent on the aroma, and better then a couple others I have tried, I just had wished it had a little more punch to it, just somethign to let me know it was there a bit more. but definatly not bad, I would have to go average here for this one.

So, I have really not like the feel of the Dopplebocks I have tried lately, but let me say right off the bat this was much, much better. A great smooth, albeit light, but not degradingly so, feel was very clearly evident. Great carbonation though made it go down as smooth as water. Great malted profile. It gave me a fullness I had not expierenced with the others I have tried. Lots of roasted barly and earthy tones were clearly evident. A nice spicey, almost fruity note in the back, but ever so faint. This really was a malt bomb. The bread tones were fantastic, and it really felt like a meal. A slight touch of alcohol, but nothing too terribly rough at all. Great feel and flavor, I really did enjoy sipping this during dinner.

Well, well, well this may have single handedly brought me back to the style. I really love my German beers, and grandma would be proud. Spaten did not let me down, as I am now definatly looking forward to try a few more from this style. This went very well with hamburgers of all things tonight, it was just light enough to be sessionable, sort of, more likely drinkable during a hot night, but yet dark enough to peak intrest and really get you into the sipping mode for a while. Overall I am really glad I picked up a six pack pf this, I will be enjoying it very much over the next couple weeks. A fantastic beer from a great brewery.

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I purchased this from Wegmans, enjoyed chilled in a pokal.

The color is deep brown with translucent clarity and thin tan cap with fine bead. The smell is slightly caramel with some nutty malt aromas with mild floral hop ester. The feel is good with moderate sweetness and medium carbonation with slight dry body with mild spice and light alcohol in the finish.

The taste has some malty presence with some moderately toasted munich and caramel malt sweetness with some nutty flavor with creaminess from the yeast. The flavor is more sweet than anything with gentle spice in the background. Overall this is a pretty drinkable bock, not too strong but still might not have multiples since it is on the sweet side. Not a very complex beer but fits the style well enough

3.55/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a caramel color with a small off-white head. Not terribly impressive.

S: At first the nose is quite harsh. Slightly burnt with a little bit of a funkiness to it. However, as I let it warm up, the beer starts to come around and displays some nice caramel and dark fruit sweetness, as well as some toasted bread.

T: Similar story with the flavor. The first few sips are harshly alcoholic and astringent with a little bit of cough syrup. As it warmed up, some of that went away and some of the more traditional and pleasant flavors of caramel, raisin, and black cherry came through.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Hard to rate this beer as it did have some good flavors, but it also had some bad ones.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Served in a flared flute glass at Bauer's Brauhaus.

Still sittin' at the Brauhaus, watching the Cubs tank another game. Sad, really. Anyway, this brew pours a clear dark sunset burnt sienna-amber topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises buttery caramel, very light roasted malts, brown sugar, and Belgian candi sugar. The taste holds notes of buttery caramel, light roasted malts, brown sugar, cinnamon, faint-ish dark greens, and some mild cocoa powder. The body is a rather light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, a solid d-bock, a bit on the thin side, but mighty tasty and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

The when I was first getting into beers over the summer I picked up a couple different products from Spaten, one of them being the Optimator. Had no clue what I was getting myself into at the time, and I didn't even know what a dopplebock was. I think I thought it was really thick and off flavored at the time, so I saw it on tap at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse had to give it another shot. This beer is definitely toned down in comparison to most dopplebocks that are made today, but this isn't a bad thing because it is still a solid representation of the style. A deep ruby red tone with a thin cream colored head settles quickly. The aroma consists of a light bouquet of malty goodness, and with the first sip I couldn't get over how drinkable this beer is. With a nice trace of figs and plum to the taste, this beer had a very sweet finish very balanced and enjoyable. Like a said a little on the lighter side for a dbock, but the lighter body gives this beer an increased drinkability.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

A - dark brownish amber with a red hue; half of an inch of thick, soft, brownish head; great retention

S - musty, caramel, yeasty, toffee, faint chocolate, very faint dark fruit

T - chocolate, caramel, dark fruit, faint cherries, faint alcohol, toffee, lingering bitterness in the finish

M - medium bodied, smooth, a crisp carbonated finish, a bit warm

This is a pretty decent beer. The flavor is solid, but the bitter finish doesn't mesh well with the rest of the profile. The nose is also pretty decent, but it has that traditional euro musty note. Overall, it's definitely worth checking out

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pokal glass. Been awhile for this guy and me.

Ah what's that I see? A green bottle. Now I remember why I have never bought this before. However, on the pour she comes out deep dark brown and fills with a thick licorice viscosity. They body color is the same but has lots of deep red along the edges. A simple three finger foamy tan head, evenly made settles the top. A pretty nice looking doppel here, I can't see any rising carbonation cause it's so dark.

Classic notes of toffee and caramel like malts on the bouquet. A crisp sensation sort of herbal slightly and many brown spices of clove, nutmeg and so on. Seems very clean and light on the nose, with a bit of candy licorice to match also. Very nice. The skunk monster has not luckily made an appearance.

Palate is very light and refreshing. Hints of toffee and tea herbality mixed in with licorice in the mid palate. Mineral almost crisp body, but good amount of light toffee, caramel and some of that black licorice coating and taste on the palate. Slightly boozy warm but not too much.

Overall pretty good, glad to have tried it. Fits in with the classic doppelbocks in style nicely, sort of an easier drinking lighter one if I could say that.

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle, no freshness dating.A classic that pours dark and ruby, best described as a cola color. The first thing that struck me that is this is a full flavored brew and that its strong alcoholwise. Malt dominates. Toffee, chocolate, licorish. Not much bittering going on here. In general, rich, strong and smooth stuff. A nice example of a dark German lager.

Spaten Optimator from Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu