Kick Bock | Sprague Farm & Brew Works

Sprague Farm & Brew Works
Pennsylvania, United States
sleepingchainsaw.com

Style: Bock

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by WVbeergeek on 02-22-2007

Liked:
3.33/5
Alströms:

Reviews by Stinkypuss:

A. On tap @ bocktown. Pours dark brown with off white head.

S. Robust and roasted. Some chocolate malt.

T. Follows the nose, a solid bock here with a roasted chocolate malt feel.

M. Full bodied and delicious.

D. Quite drinkable, a rare find in the summer.

3.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance pours a dark ruddy mahogany color safe to say brown it forms a nice sized tan head and leaves nice lacing with each sip. Aromatics bring fruit undetones tart plum and raisin with a touch of pear a mild roasty dark chocolate powder aspect finishing with a very mild herbal hop flow. Flavor has an upfront tart blend of raisin, plum, and pear that blends with a mild smokey tone even though I'm sure this has no peated malts or smoked characteristics that's just what I'm getting with cocoa powder and a full roasty dryness herbal hop bitterness very subdued and blended well like it should be however not as sweet as the average malt bomb bock, original farmhouse take I don't mind the tart aspects . Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly sticky touch of residual sugary coating on the palate stand up even carbonation flows well not cloying on the palate. Drinkability is great much like all of Brian's beers I've had thus far, a fruit tartness that I found really worked in this bock style brew although I felt it was more doppelbock the alcohol didn't seem to upfront kinda well hidden sniper style I'm not sure what the abv is but I sure will ask Brian Sprague on the 11th at Bocktown.

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

Served on-tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Somewhat murky deep brown color. Thin caramel colored head that dissipates to a thin layer very quickly.

Smell: Not much here, but I do detect a slight roasty aroma, maybe some hops and a strange tartness.

Taste: The tartness returns. It's not overwhelming or necessarily unpleasant but definitely there. The finish is a little hoppy, a little citrus-like but overall mostly smooth. This is certainly not the taste I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium body. Mostly good but this beer has too little carbonation.

Drinkability: Mostly smooth, and easy to drink, but the strange flavors makes me hesitant to have another.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%