Evil Eye | Melanie Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerBob on 11-10-2004

1.07/5  rDev -31.4%

3.5/5  rDev +124.4%

When I want a lot of kick-ass lager, it works cheaply. I'm not some so-called snob who thinks this is the worst they ever had. These folks must have been born after Pabst quit making Red, White & Blue(the kind you bought to give unwanted guests). Most "high gravity" beers kind of suck, if you compare them with "craft" beers. BUT, if you want a buzz, Evil Eye will get you there quickly. Truth be known, I would prefer it over regular Budweiser! I buy a 40 oz. bottle for $1.17 at a friends string of stores. After the first 6 ozs. it gets better, as with most high alcohol beers. There, a different kind of review!

1.38/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Yellow beer that foams up but doesn't stick together to form a head. Smell is of corn based infused grain alcohol.

Taste is more like hard liquor than beer, barley missing, hops missing, harsh alcohol heat and corn shot killing you not softly edge. Vodka boilermaker.

Bad even for style.

1.56/5  rDev 0%

Had the opportunity to taste this when I worked at the liquor store. Look was your typical malt liquor/adjunct lager. Smelled of green apples, jet fuel. Left legs on the glass. This was pretty foul stuff, as I recall the liquor store didn't really sell much of it and we liquidated stock. Felt slick in the mouth, like something I don't like. Avoid at all costs.

1.25/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.79/5  rDev +14.7%

1.75/5  rDev +12.2%

1.87/5  rDev +19.9%

A - Pours a very clear yellow with a massive white head that leaves no lacing. Hmmm pretty typical.

S - Only thing I can honestly think of from this scent is grapes and fusel alcohol.

T - Tastes exactly like a Jack Hammer from Melanie, But with a slight bit more of an alcohol burn at the end. Trust me, It isn't as bad as what you might think, depening on whether or now you're having a good time with your friends, or basing all of your reviews off Maxiums or Mad Hatter. Grapes and fusel galore, with a tad bit of malt and luckily no adjunct.

M - Heavy stinging carbonation with a medium to heavy body

O - Overall, It was very average for a malt liquor of this strenght. I'd have again if with I were with my friend's ( remember, I am in fact only 23 so I go to quite a bit of college parties ) No true complains. It's $1.19 for a 24 ouncer. No it isn't a craft beer, But if I'm heading up to EMU, WMU, MSU or U of M anytime soon you're damn right I'll be picking some of these up

1.5/5  rDev -3.8%

1.36/5  rDev -12.8%

Big thanks goes out to MBrausen for sending me this one to tick! Thanks buddy! Served from bottle into a Duvel Kishimoto tulip (class it up!). Poured a golden pale yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, corn, sugar, prune juice, and despair. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sugar, prune juice, corn, grain, alcohol, and crushed palate. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was definitely a terrible brew. Who in the Hell thought this would be a good idea to brew? There is a lot going on in this one and I have to be honest that I am not a fan of ANY of it. I could see this being cool as a novelty beer, but why the Hell would you put it in a 40 oz bottle? Come on guys… I could see being forced to sip on this one as an alternative to water-boarding. I would only ever get this one again to set at the back of my fridge and unleash its fury on an unsuspecting victim. If this is YOU reading this, avoid at all costs. If this is for a funny joke, definitely buy it and have the camera ready upon the first sip. You will thank me either way.

1.5/5  rDev -3.8%

2.94/5  rDev +88.5%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with an inch thick, fluffy head that lingers for a minute. Has nice lacing.

Smell - Very sweet, fruity-like wine smell.

Taste - Same as the smell.. Very sweet, actually kind of tarty. Basically tastes like cheap wine. There's a nasty alcohol bite in the aftertaste. But they cover it somewhat good for being 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I wouldn't drink this twice.. but it's not the worst thing I've ever had.

1.62/5  rDev +3.8%

In my early days on Beer Advocate I read a (long since deleted) review of Evil Eye that boldly compared it’s wonder to that of Duvel. It was hands down the most hilarious review I’ve read on Beer Advocate, as well as one of the funniest things I’ve come across on any website. Being a fan of extremes (the best and worst in music, film, athletics, beer, etc.), I dreamed of one day cracking an Evil Eye for myself. I am now getting my chance courtesy of Jimmie Garant’s Party Store in Alpena, MI, where they have $15 cases of these 24 ounce cans stacked to the ceiling. The scene is so perfect that I just have to take a moment to stop and appreciate it. The can itself is fairly void of eye candy save for two green eyes staring back as if to say, “You are going to regret this.” For my own amusement I’m pouring this ice cold into a Duvel tulip.

The pour gives me a couple of fingers of ivory colored head. Head retention is poor initially as it dissipates with such volatility as to resemble a vinegar-baking soda volcano eruption. However, the head never fully disappears. Lacing adds a touch of attractiveness to the visual aesthetic. The brew is deep golden in color, not totally crystal clear, and overall darker than I was expecting from this malt liquor. A steady stream of tiny bubbles rise from the etched D on the bottom of my glass, making this the first brew poured into the glass that actually resembles the beer seen in Duvel adds. Not only is this not bad looking, but it is actually kind of appealing to the eyes. It’s easily the best looking malt liquor I’ve poured.

The aroma is primarily giving off a vibe of cider and dry wine. To be fair, it doesn’t smell bad, but it sure doesn’t smell like beer. That doesn’t bode well. It smells alcoholic, but does not burn the nostrils. I’m assuming that a fair boost in gravity was provided by sugar adjuncts, accounting for the cidery impression on the nose, as well as the complete lack of “beer smell“. Even to style I can’t say that the aroma works.

The first sip confirms that this beer is truly awful. Mild raisin and plum flavors remind me of a Belgian Quad, and that is the single positive attribute that I can report. The aforementioned dry wine manifests prominently in the flavor. Alcohol, though strongly noted, is much better hidden than I would have expected from a 10% ABV monster. Melon flavor comes to mind, as does maple syrup. Of themselves, those are not bad traits; unfortunately there is no balance to be found among them. To complete the awful, Evil Eye is very watery. Combine all of that with a complete dearth of malt flavor or hop presence and what you come up with is the worst beer I’ve yet tasted.

The feel is appropriately light. The carbonation level appears slightly on the low side but it helps to make this as unabrasive as possible. Alcohol does not at any point burn. To Evil Eye’s credit, at 10% ABV, it is much easier drinking than, say, Life & Limb. Overall I can only simply confirm what 50 other people have noted: that this is an awful beer. But it’s not even satisfyingly awful; it’s just bad without even being noteworthy. It is not even worthy of an ironic review. I don’t drain pour many beers, but of the ones that I have poured, this is the one that I’ve poured most apathetically.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I don’t give a Schlitz for this. Evil Eye simply means, “Looks are deceiving”.

2.65/5  rDev +69.9%

Despite a slightly sweet texture this beer is a kick in the mouth. It's what you can expect from any malt liquor with a 10.0% or greater ABV. By that I mean it's cringe-worthy. Something among sour grapes and water gathered from a mason jar that once held a pig-fetus. Personally, I don't find it too attractive. I used to settle for it in high school but my old buddies and I would spend the whole time talking about how nasty the stuff was. If you're desperate for a good buzz, however, it can get you there. Not exactly what I'd call worth it though.

1.53/5  rDev -1.9%

"2920" on the bottom of the can... hoping this isn't a year old already, but really doubt it matters in this case.

Into a mug it pours a clear urine gold, with a 1/4" of foam on the surface. A thin veil of skim lingers for a few minutes, and surprisingly after. Some spotty lace forms around the edges after a few sips. Audibly fizzy on the second pour, foam has a creamy surface texture.

Smells like sweet green apple jolly ranchers, cheap bum wine, and apple juice.

Tastes like shitty wine. White grapes, apple, astringency, and harsh fusels = instant bad beer face. Aftertaste is like licking a bunch of grape flavored envelopes, after the glue leaves your tongue numb. Waterlogged cereal grain and manila folders. Fizzy and astringent, loads of alcohol upfront, and hanging around until very unwelcome. Nasty wet cereal burps. Triggers an involuntary shudder upon drinking.

For some, i'd imagine it gets the job done. For any self-respecting individual, no. Maybe not the worst out there, but it's blindly scraping at the bottom of the barrel. Only for the masochistic.

Evil Eye from Melanie Brewing Company