Evil Eye | Melanie Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by BeerBob on 11-10-2004

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
1.15/5  rDev -26.3%

99 cents a can had me buying all 7 on the shelf. I'll pass the rest along in good time. after Cool Colt, this was my #2 most wanted. 24oz can subtitled 'Ojo Malo'.

1st .5l was poured into Swiss Boot, and enjoyed briskly. Sitting down with the last pour to review.

A- Pale pale pale, like light beer mixed with water. More pale than gold. Dish-soap white bubbly head that looks pretty nice and laces the boot nicely.

S- Cotton candy and white wine. *shudder*

T- The alcohol is hot and the beer is water-thin. There's a snap of stomach-turning sweetness, this is like distilled coors light. Again, I taste cotton candy and hobo wine. It's concentrated evil.

M- Sweet and sickening. So much grainy dead vegetable blarrrgh sugar syrup twangy sweetness. I had a few sips of this and had to exhale sharply. Decidedly not good times.

O- No, no, no. No. NO. I drank the full 24 oz, but only to prove to myself that I'm really that big of an asshole.

I should have waited a day. This is a perfect beer to open on 9-11.

1.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure why anyone thought this Malt Liquor thing was a good idea.

A - Fizzy yellow looking beer with a white head.

S - Get a lot of grapes in this one, slightly artificial. Some grain, fusel alcohol.

T - Pretty sweet, and initially went down fairly easily. It got worse somehow as I kept going. Some grape sweetness and a lot of grain. It isn't good, but it was great to wash that Sonoran 200 down with.

M - Fizzy, over carbonated, light.

O - It's a malt liquor, and it's not good. Don't drink this. Don't ever do one of these tastings either.

2.31/5  rDev +48.1%

First Annual(?) Chicago Malt Liquor Tasting. Can courtesy of coldmeat23 - you answered the call when others couldn't!

A - A finger of white foam sizzles to a thin ring, leaving behind no lace. Transparent golden body with tons of visible bubbles. This is very much the "standard" malt liquor appearance.

S - Grapes, grain, slightly rotten fruit, some alcohol, and a bit of metal as well (although perhaps that's because I was drinking from a can). Gets increasingly cloying with sweet corn as it warms up. Not particularly good, but still better than some of the other beers at the tasting.

T - Taste is actually a bit better. It's got a bit of grape flavor mingling with cereal grains, seltzer water and a bit of solvent alcohol in the finish. Surprisingly easy to drink for 10% though.

M - Fizzy medium body, like seltzer water with a bit more malt heft to it. Surprisingly well-hidden alcohol.

D - I'm actually hugely disappointed, as this was largely average (for the style). Perhaps it was the year of "cellaring" before I could finally get the tasting off the ground, but this didn't live up to the hype as being the worst beer on BA. I would drink this over Indian Wells any day of the week.

1.36/5  rDev -12.8%

Cool name, bad beer. I dunno what the deal is, but every 'evil eye' beer/spinoff I've had is terrible.

Yellow, frothy head that vanishes and leaves no trace. Smells like nothing but industrial corn.

No hops, sweet, barely recognizable as beer, fusel alcohol all over the place. Tastes like it was brewed in a garage, open fermentation and some shop tools fell into the batch. Or a vodka/beer blend, with sacharrin.

Just slam this as fast as you can once you get the feel for it. That's the only utility it has in the world.

1.64/5  rDev +5.1%

can picked up on my last trip to ohio. it looked odd so what the heck right how bad could it be?

Poured a dull orange straw color with no head and no lace. A decenr amount of of caronation coming up from the bottom. Smell was light grain and cornwith a touh of alcohol, not impressed, but was I expecting to be. Taste was rather bland as well, just a grainey malty cheap mess. Overall cmon man what do you expext. This was prety mch a forty, funny.

1.23/5  rDev -21.2%

Found my reviews for my Evil Eye group tasting. Poured from 24oz can.

A- Pours a golden straw yellow color. Half finger white head shows poor retention and dies pretty much on the spot as it shows. No lace at all on this beer when I drink it.

S- Tons of green apple smell right off the bat. I stepped away for a minute to let it breathe and then smelled it again. Green apple is still in the entire aroma profile but now there is lots of wet cereal grains. A little skunky in a backend. A hint of alcohol which took me be surprise as I expected a little bit more since it was a cheaper malt liquor.

T- This is interesting in the flavor profile. Strong green apple notes right off the bat. Also, a cooked veggie flavor comes in and dies a little before coming back with a fuller flavor. No hops in the beer that I can tell. The alcohol in this doesn't really ever come out and shine which I think is haulted by the soda water like carbonation and flavor in the ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is over the top but good for the style. Green apple and stale grains are left on the palate. Aftertaste is stale alcohol and green apple with a hint of soda water. Flavors are off center and not very balanced as the green apple flavor is king. This has some off flavors but this is mostly just the overall taste in general. Medium alcohol drying on the palate from the alcohol.

D- This beer is horrible. Well I don't think horrible is the right word to describe it. This is a terrible first beer of the night and for the tasting. The ABV is off putting making this beer a harder one to drink but the alcohol flavor isn't as big as I thought it would be. Still never want to try this beer at all ever again.

1.17/5  rDev -25%

I would write a formal review for this beer but it is not a very formal beer. I picked it up from Big Top on university by recommendation from a homeless guy who noticed I was looking at beer. I picked up a few extra for friends so I wouldn't have to do this alone. 10% ABV in a 40 oz.... Whoever created this is evil. It was only 2.29 for the forty too.

My buddy already had his cracked and took a few swigs by the time I showed up. He's not what you would call a "beer type". He tells me he likes it I crack the top keeping the beer in a nice looking paper bag in standard hobo fashion. I take a whiff of it. Hmmm smells really really sweet for some reason. I'm starting to sweat and get worried. I tip the beer to my lips and take a long pull. It hits me with a ton of sweetness at first. Then I swallow and if feels like paint thinner going down.

I'm horrified by the taste of this beer so I approach it from a new angle. Normally I let beer sit on my tongue for a second. The second sip however I open my throat and pour. Wow not nearly as bad. Then I burp and every bit of alcohol I tried to avoid came rolling out of my mouth like a dragon breathing fire.

I continued to drink hoping to finish this thing as soon as I could. Suddenly however it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm drunk. My buddy and I are slurring words slumped over on the stoop outside of my apt.

I made it through the entire thing as did my buddy. I took the paper bag off the bottle to make sure it was finished. I threw the bad down and stared at it in a drunked daze. It lay on the ground slightly wet from the sweaty bottle looking very very similar to a used condom. The bottle was there staring at me with the evil eyes on the label and I thought to myself. Why the hell would anyone make this beer and if they did decide to make it why would you put this in a 40 oz.

I'm scared to evil eye and maybe to scared to ever trust a homeless buy again.

1.22/5  rDev -21.8%

i tried it just for shits and giggles and let me tell you.this beer is just to put you on your ass,not to be reviewed for appearance,smell,taste,mouthfeel or drinkability.just how hammered you can get from it.so if thats how the ratings went it would be an A++ but since its not,thumbs down
(super cheap beer should have there own rating system)

1.61/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Strange can of beer I found at Buster's in Memphis TN.

Gold colored beer with a small white head.

Strong apple smell and sweet corn. This is stings the nose a bit.

Strong apple flavor the taste you get from using old malt in home brewing.

Verdict on both smell and taste is badly made Home Brew.

Mouthfeel is beer.

Not exactly what I would call drinkable. Hi Test bad home brew from a can. Try this once maybe.

1.45/5  rDev -7.1%

Presentation:
24 oz. can with creepy green eyes staring at me - challenging me to drink what I can only imagine is cheap drunkenness within. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Why though? Why am I doing this to myself?

Visual:
Straw gold body with dark yellow hues. Ridiculously bubbly like an over-carbonated fizzy soda. Thin white head that doesn't wanna stick around.

Aroma:
Malty booziness with funky skunk. A bit of grain like in a bud light, but too much alcohol/malt like in malt liquor. Not much more to say. No hops. No balance.

Taste:
Interesting. Light body of a lager, but heavy malt like an ale. Unfortunately, it is reminiscent of rotten fruit. Followed by gross seltzer/soda bitterness. There is a weird cooked veggie profile somewhere in the middle; maybe asparagus? Granted, the point of this beer is to inject as much alcohol into your body as fast as possible, but I still have to comment that there is way to much noticeable alcohol present on the palate. Boozy profile and aftertaste.

Overall:
Too much was sacrificed for the alcohol. Very unattractive to my tongue. Overly carbonated, and extremely unbalanced. I wouldn't even know where to begin in trying to pair this with food. Most likely would go great with cheap take-out or convenience store foods like microwaveable burritos. Eh? Maybe you won't notice all those preservatives with all that alcohol.

Cheers!

1.97/5  rDev +26.3%

Pale yellow with a dingy off white head of foam. The smell is creamed corn, green apple and fusel alcohol. The flavor is green apple skin and cheap vodka with plenty of sweet corn to get the ABV potent, the alcohol is hot in the finish. This stuff is pretty rank, the worst tasting malt liquor I've had in a while for sure.

1.68/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Edit: I see that Zorro found this at Busters in Memphis, like me! What a small world!

Big ol' 2X4 of the Malo ojo, let's check this bad boy out. Hmm, pours a clear golden yellow, a decent white head pops up, but dies after a couple minutes.

Sour green apples in the aroma, evil malt a'lurking. Same sour mash apple cider in the quaff - a real funky monkey. Thin bodied, more malt liquor than beer. Cripe, is this a vile concoction, my stomach is turning into knots. Finishing this will be a challenge, but I'm up for it!

2.4/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear gold. A flimsy 1/8 inch of head forms with the pour but dissipates immediately. No lace.

S - Although I'm sortta digging the aroma, it's nothing that I'd expect from a malt liquor. Smells more like hard cider than anything, HUGE on the green apple juice. A pinch of alcohol and a whisper of grain husk, but really this is a poor hard cider from the aroma standpoint.

T - More green apple. That's about all this beer is. Sweet, slightly sour green apple. Try as I might, I can get nothing out of this beer but green apple. It does gain half a point for concealing the alcohol well.

M - Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Loses half a point due to the sweetness becoming cloying.

D - Eh, it's ok but a poor example of a malt liquor. Far too sweet and fruity tasting to imbibe all evening, or even an entire 24 oz can. A unique example of the style, but a few sips is more than enough.

This one stands tall in an intimidating 24 oz can. Poured this one into my Sam Adams glass - is it worthy? Chilled in the cellar - about 44 degrees right now - and then an hour in the fridge. I probably should have set it outside so it got down to 20 or so.

Pours vitamin C deficient huron yellow with a mighty one inch head - quick to settle leaving lots of bubbly lacing. This beer is crystal clear - wow.

Aroma is oh so light with just a hint of light sweet malts - almost corn like sweetness.

This one hits the mouth with a bit of a roll of carbonation and then ushers in some sweetness. A very light sweetness with the tingle of the carbonation is about all I get here. NO real hops to speak of and none of the high octane characteristics that I thought I might get. I don't really catch the ABV whilst drinking this one.

The more I drink of this one the more the sweetness begins to bother me and make it tough to go back to the glass again. This beer is so foreign to me. I really do not know what to think. I can drink them - but do not want to really...

I am not sure how this gets Fs from folks but it definitely is 'not impressive'.

2.3/5  rDev +47.4%

Tasted on Nov 11, 2007. 24oz. can. I am sort of afraid to even try this one. The pour doesn't look too bad. Medium golden with a average head. Can't knock it down on appearance. Now for the aroma. Ummm. I think things are heading south a little. Odd aroma of rotting fruit and jet fuel. Touches of bananna (which I kind of like). I have smelled worse so I can't destroy it on aroma. Time to take a sip. Ok. Lets talk about this for a second. I have had worse. Actually I have had alot worse than this. There is a big boozy bananna flavor which isn't half bad. Plus it is strong. Trust me. I am not going to drink the whole can because I have to go to work tonight. But if I didn't have to work I just might polish it off.

Purchased from the Ice Box Convenient store in Steubenville, Ohio. Alongside many other malt liquors the green evil eyes stood out to me. Underneath Evil Eye on the label it states in spanish ojo malo. High gravity lager with no abv listed on the can only other info listed is brewed by Melanie Brewing in Cincinatti, OH along with the government warning. Appears a pale clear carbonated apple juice hue with a large bright white head that has large pea sized bubbles of carbonation and dwindles quick as hell. By the way it was a 1.99, that's a little steep for a 24 oz can of any malt liquor. I'd figure even at 10 percent abv we at least see a forty offering, which I've seen in the Burgh before. The smell is comprised of sweet alcoholic creamed corn with some green apple phenols added to the party. Flavor is ungodly such a gag inducing horribly made beer I may not be able to put it into words. First off cloyingly sweet creamed corn with burning alcohol in the throat is enough to make one gag, through in the tart apple with heavy carbonation and my stomach is a turning. You actually develop a headache while drinking this beer, this should be illegal, it sucks to feel like a prohibitionist. Mouthfeel is cloying with harsh carbonation and sticky residual sugars, what a rough ride. Drinkability is god awful no more about the evil eye please. It's nice to have fun at the the expense of this beer's shite factor.

This is hands down the worst beer I have ever drank. Wayyy to much alcohol makes the palate feel as if it's been a prisoner of war for 40 years. This one kid gave me a 40 of this and since it's 10% abv it definitely fucked me up, but I felt like ass all day the next day.

1.03/5  rDev -34%

The appearance is your typical crap macro piss yellow little to no head and zero lacing

The smell isnt there much but from what i can smell its alot like my boxers after two hours at the gym

Taste reminds of of sour milk up front with a very nasty cheao malt taste afterwards that lingers until you brush your teeth

The mouthfeel is that of club soda absolutely nothing but carbonation

The drinklability between the taste/smell/ and abv is simply awful, if i can drink crown royal straight but had to pour this after 1/3 can that tells you something. Absolutley horrid save your money and get a pbr or something else instead if you want crap beer, at least pbr isnt offensive filth.

1.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

I like the idea of malt liquor in a can. It is a smaller ration and you can't see what's inside. This one has an especially cool design as well. That unfortunatle was the last of the good. A yellow color with a weak white head. Nose and taste are of bitter grains and alcohol. The body is light and fizzy. Not a fan.

1.74/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a thin, wispy, white head.

Smell: Caustic chemical aroma with hints of corn and spoiled apple juice. Jesus.

Taste: Oddly sweet taste of stale corn and apple juice with a dash of isopropyl alcohol. Adjunky. No hop flavor or bitterness. Harsh finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Questionably tongue-coating mouthfeel.

Drinkability: No thanks. As for the Melanie Brewing Co., I will say they have enough testicles to keep churning out an endless array of malt liquors.

1.16/5  rDev -25.6%

Not even your wildest nighmares compare to what is held in a 40oz. bottle of Evil Eye.

This concoction smells of gasoline, and I am assuming that if you took a sip of gasoline it would taste exactly the same as Evil Eye.

I found this 40 in Denver, Colorado. The moment I saw the 10% ABV I had to try it.

The alcohol is all you can taste... it is extremely sweet, with very little taste in regards to hops, etc.

By the time I reached the top of the label I was buzzing. Cold sweats hit me when I reached the bottom of the label.

I am (not) proud to say that I finished this brew that was forged by Satan himself.

The next day I woke up with one of the worst hangovers I have ever had in my life.

Pay heed all who imbibe this Devil's Brew...

1.11/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a combination of light malt sweetness, sour fruits and pungent alcohol.

T: Much like the smell leads you to expect, the taste has a strong sweet & sour flavor to it and a heavy alcohol burn right up front and tastes a lot like a bad champagne. The malt character is thin and there’s very little hops presence. The after-taste is sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not at all tasty, I had a hard time drinking the can that I had, not very filling which is about the only good thing I can say about it. Even if you’re a fan of malt liquors, which I’m not, I would not recommend this one.

1.68/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Gold, fading head. Lots of particles of some sort--they're not hops, I don't think they're yeast, so what are they?

Smell: Grape, alcohol, somewhat like white wine.

Taste: Sweet but somewhat tart, green apple/grape wine-like flavor, alcohol.

Drinkability: I'm glad it's just a 16oz can and not a 40oz. I don't think this would be any good at all after warming.

Back when I used to live in Missouri we had poor beer selection. I used to drink nothing but hard liquor and cheap beer. I didn't get into 40's just because there really weren't too many of them around either. To re-live the old days, I bought this cheapo beer to give it a try with my slightly more developed tastes. It is drinkable but doesn't taste much like beer to me. It's almost like a white wine with more body. If you want a cheap buzz it's not too bad when cold.

1.46/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

There are two things that I like about this "beer." The first is that it had a surprisingly decent appearance with lots of active bubbles and some very good retention. The other is that nowhere on the can these guys make any claim that there are any "quality ingredients" or "purest hops" like some of these breweries try to fool the uninformed drinker with. They lay it out there, that this beer sucks but it has a lot of alcohol. That's exactly what you get here and very sweet beer with an unpleasant aftertaste, heavy in carbonation hardly appealing.

1.69/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours orangey/gold with a tiny bubbled, frothy white cap. Some lace left after the head dies. Fusel aromas, corn and grain, lots of adjunct, and some veggie/ogange peel, but I have experienced worse. Pretty boozed up fusels are all over this puppy, corn, vegetal ,and citric acid flavours. Harsh and oily finish. Better than predicted, but not good. Thanks Chris!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast