Beer 30 Light | Melanie Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Style: Light Lager

Added by mynie on 09-24-2006

1.48/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance: Decent foam to begin with. Very flat though. No bubbles.

Smell: No real smell to speak of. Mostly stale, gassy corn or some other grain.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Metal water. Overall bad. I definitely taste some grain. The mouthfeel is dreadful. Basically feels like flat water.

Drinkability: The bad taste and awful feel do this one in.

Overall: Just a bad choice overall.

1.48/5  rDev -15.4%

A - Straw colored and pale with no foam at the top

S - Stale beer from cups that have been sitting out for 2 days

T - Tasted like I had licked the can and then sucked on some wheat

M - Harsh bubbles but goes to flat quickly

O - Contrary to what they believe, it is a never a good time

1.48/5  rDev -15.4%

A - Pours a straw yellow with a small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of carbonation. 2.0

S - Smells like grain alcohol, yeast, and hops. Slight metallic odor present as well as a bit of a champagne scent...though I have no clue as to why. 1.5

T - Interesting taste. Crisp and light, very similar in flavor to your other adjunct american lagers. The interesting thing is that there is a strong aftertaste of grape and champagne. Again, how these flavors ended up in a beer completely baffles me. 1.5

M - Extremely carbonated and bubbly, but dies down to flatness once it warms up in your mouth. Horrible. Just horrible. 1.0

O - Why? Just why? Spend the extra money and get PBR, Budweiser, Landshark...anything other than this. 1.5

1.56/5  rDev -10.9%

Tryed this beer with a friend the other night just for kicks. ( And it was the cheapest I've seen for a 30 in a while.)

The appearance was like any other cheap light beer. Pale, straw yellow with a decent head that faded extremely quickly. No lacing either.

Smell was also very generic. Pretty much nothing going on there.

Taste was actually interesting. Along with the normal light beer taste there was a slight champagne taste to it. Notes of that and a little grape flavor was present.

Mouthfeel was very unenjoyable. Extremely over carbonated and generally hard to put down.

Overall the beer is what you pay for it. Wouldn't mind spending the few extra dollars for budlight though.

1.64/5  rDev -6.3%

24oz (ug) purple can poured into a pint glass. $0.99 price sticker still on it.

Appearance
The head threatens to fizzle out even before I'm done pouring. What the hell? Even most of the big boys manage a better appearance than this totally flat looking specimen. The color is a clear, pale gold. No signs of life. A pint glass of apple juice makes a better looking beer than this.

Aroma
I think the grape soda looking can is getting to me, because this stuff smells like artificial grape flavoring. Grape bubblegum and cereal. Its really sweet, but strangely not that gross.

Taste
The grape bubblegum aroma is transferred directly into the taste. Its crazy sweet with no signs of hops at all. This doesn't taste much like your typical beer, its far sweeter than that. Some metallic tastes come and go.

Mouthfeel
Given the crazy sweetness of this beer it comes as no surprise that this stuff is slick with no signs of dryness at all. The carbonation stabs away at the tongue.

Overall
Not impressed with this one. Way too sweet and all around strange, right down to the purple can with a drawing of disembodied arm on it.

1.67/5  rDev -4.6%

Pale yellow with a quickly disappearing head of large bubbles that burned off super fast with an audible ssss, like a burning fuse. The nose is pure creamed corn with a touch of band aid. This brew tastes like it costs.. cheap as hell and hard to choke down. Cooked corn is the main flavor here. Light and highly carbonated. A pretty bad beer.

1.67/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, very light malts and almost no hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness that is followed by a thin grain breadiness. The hops presence is nearly undetectable. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Watery, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Almost no flavor at all, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to it, very mild kick, I don't see how they can honestly call this "Premium Beer" on the can when it barely passes for beer at all.

1.71/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Clear golden color with a slightly than larger, foamy, rocky, sticky, white head. Retention is below average and settles into a thin ring of lace. Similar to other mass produced light lagers.

S - Very faint and thin. Some grain and corn aroma that is similar to other light lagers. Some mineral aroma as well. Not great.

T - A lot of cooked corn and grain provides most of the flavor. Some mineral and maybe a hint of apple and other fruitiness. Taste kind of like a cheap light lager mixed with a cheap cider.

M - Light body with a lot of carbonation. Typical to the style.

D - Not really all that drinkable. Taste isn't great and it doesn't refresh as much as other macro made light lagers.

Notes: Not really all that great of a beer and shows that you get what you pay for. I'll probably stick to PBR or Miller High Life for my cheap beer, but if you want a bit more of a fruitiness in your cheap beer, this may be for you. Plus the label/name is kind of funny.

1.73/5  rDev -1.1%

The only good thing about this beer is its name. I only bought a 6 pack of it because of the name and it was less then 5 bucks. It is a typical college party beer but almost undrinkable for any reason,that is why 4 cans are still in my buddy's fridge.

It tasted and smelled like straight up metal: no sign of any hops, extremely bland and had a supper bubbly feel in your mouth. You are better off spending 4 bucks on one good beer then this but it is generally what you would expect from an American light beer.

You might want to buy one though just to display that silly name can in your bar.

1.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: A pale and very light color beer with no head .
Smell Like cookeds corn and bit hint of cereal with hint of yeast.
Taste Cooked corn, cereal and yeast.
Overall: I was given this can of beer and was told to go home and give it a try. This beer is nothing special and not very easy to drink, unless you've had a couple shots of hard alcohol.

1.74/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.76/5  rDev +0.6%

It pours a golden straw color. It is opaque, light passes through easily and you can make out objects on the other side without any difficulty. It poured a good finger inch thick head, but it faded rapidly to nothing, not even a film on the top or a ring around the edge. There is absolutely no lacing at all.

The first then you notice when you smell the beer is a mix of cheap malts of the corn and cereal variety. There is a touch of alcohol to the scent. To be honest the scent reminds me of my dorm room when I was in college... at the end of the year after all the spilled beer has had a time to go stale. The taste is much like the scent, Corn, cereal grains and a slight metallic taste. The metallic taste I'm pretty sure is a result of it coming in an aluminum can, at least I hope so. It reminds me of a beer that's gone stale. The aftertaste also has a metallic taste to it.

This is a medium bodied beer. There is a slight carbonation.

This beer was purchased just for the name of it, kind of like a novelty? We always joke that we think its beer thirty. Of course it didn't hurt we got a 30 pack for under $12.00. When we first tried this beer we had already had a couple of other beers first and didn't think it tasted too bad. Now today as I sit here drinking it on its own without any thing altering the pallet and I have a completely different opinion of this beer. This beer reminds me of something I would have bought in college because it's all I could afford. As a grown man, I don't think I'd buy this beer again, no matter how cheap it was.

1.79/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a clear yellow with a 1 inch foamy white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Looks-wise this one isn't so bad I must say. Smell is of subtle grain, sugar, and metal. There is also a weird fruitiness that I am picking up in the smell. Taste is of sugary water and slight grain flavors. This beer seems to be quite flat with a watery quality in the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty horrible beer any way you look at it. I am glad I picked up a can to try just so I can further appreciate all the good beer I am able to enjoy.

1.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A-Pours the generic straw yellow with a thin foamy head.

S-Quite an unattractive smell, even for the style. Just very skunky and a bit too much. If I am drinking a cheap thirty (and this one is cheap!) then I want it to be pretty nondescript. This has a bit too much.

T-Even for a light lager, this one is just off. Hard to put down these at a quick rate. Just a mess.

M-A bit too heavy for a crappy light beer. Need this to be more watery for maximum drunken consumption.

O/D-The only good part about this beer is that it is the cheapest thirty I have seen in MA. It ran about $13 and I respect the gimmick they're going for here. Really gross, but hey, its cheap and eventually gets the job done...eventually.

1.86/5  rDev +6.3%

Bought a 30 pack so I could send a can to Woodychandler. I tried to talk him out of it, but he is on a CANquest, so who am I to stand in his way?

A - Color is on the yellow side of water. I got a finger of white head that quickly died to absolutely nothing. The obvious hallmark of a cheap beer.

S - Nothing but cheap malt and adjuncts/corn. Bleh

T - Do I have to? Well, supposing that I do, it actually isn't as bad as some adjunct lagers I have choked down before. Strong adjunct taste, little malt. I assume this is what happens when a brewer replaces every ingredient in reinheitsgebot with just corn.

M/D - Goes down like water...actually, thinner then water, which should discourage any BA's from drinking the water in Cincinnati. Drinkable? Well, I think my plan is to save this for when I am in the mood to get plowed (maybe I'll make some horrible decision like breaking up with my girlfriend) and once I have decided to drink myself into a degenerate stupor, I will reach for the rest of this case.

In the mean time....avoid.

1.92/5  rDev +9.7%

got a dirty 30 in Madison. I love the purple can. Not worth pouring in a glass really. I swear the purple can makes you think it's grape soda. As cheap beers go, it's ok. $10 30 pack and decent. Drink it for the novelty, nothing else. It's no PBR but it's better than Mountain Creek...

1.96/5  rDev +12%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Thanks to my buddy and his Iowa City-based alma mater, I now have a case o' this. Yeah. It pours a clear deep sallow topped by a rather short-lived bit o' fizzy white foam. The nose is nearly as devoid of scent as the surface of the moon (since, according to my research, the moon's not really made of cheese (seriously? when did this happen!?), I figure it's pretty scent-less), with only some mild corn chaff finding it's way into the 'strils. The taste doesn't try too hard to one-up the smell, though a very mild sweetness vainly tries to pervade the otherwise tasteless liquid. As my boy Filbert once said, this thing went down "like a lead rake". Interestingly, the body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. So...I guess it's more apt to say it went down too easily...like...a lead rake...? Why not? Overall, I really don't want to drink this. It's not that it's completely offensive, per se, but it's not a flavor of water I really want to have much of. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the clock never strikes Beer:30 so long as it means this brew is in the offing.

Well, my local store just started carrying this stuff...Got a 30 pack for $10.99...figured it would be good beer to drink in my garage while working, and I'm not too disappointed....I obviously wasn't expecting much.

I think the best way to rate this stuff is to compare it to its peers; Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, Old Style. Positive note I can taste just a little more Hop bitterness in this beer to give it ok character...Negative side the malt is dominated by corny taste...the lowest ratio of barley to adjunct malt I'd say I've ever had...also more carbonation would have helped this go down.

My other problem with this stuff is the cans...They are purple and the words "Beer 30 Light" are written in white and purple and in Cursive...It looks like a store bought brand of Purple Soda Pop..Very unappealing....I wish it was a black laber beer look instead.

Well, enjoy.