Shiner White Wing | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.35/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -7.3%

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.14/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One of my favorites of the big brewers. Sure, it's monster-massed produced, but I can get over that.

3.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%

3.42/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Attractive clear light gold color with little white cap.

Nice aroma where the coriander and orange jump out of the glass. Little hop presence but some spice apparent.

Good flavor. The underlying beer is clean and is more or less just a launch platform for Shiner's take on the basic spice wheat brew in the Hoegaarden style. I think the coriander slightly outweighs the orange but both are doing a decent double team act. Finish is clean with just a bit of the prominent flavors lingering in the aftertaste.

Medium full texture with a balancing carbonation.

A solid hit, at least a double and perhaps three base run. If they were trying to create a richer flavored Blue Moon style brew they did. We have enough close copies out there so perhaps something a little different will prove successful. My tastes run more toward the originals but I'm just one customer.

3.91/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Honestly one of my least favorite beers from Shiner but I've seen people use this beer in chili and is a popular beer for crawfish boils and heard it was great with jambalaya. Appearance is a slight orange/gold and has a slight wheat bread taste to it.

3.25/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

2.77/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance. Pours a honey-gold-barely hazy orangish color. Kinda like a blue moon but less hazy and a little darker colored. White head, 1 finger. After 3-4 minutes, goes down to a thick foam. A lot of lacing as it is drank and the head resinds after the pour.
Smell. Smells like a Belgian white. I smell coriander. And a hint of malt. Smells good. Let's try it.
Taste. I taste coriander. I taste wheat. I taste a bit of hop and malt. For me, it tastes pretty balanced. I had a 6er of Shock Top 4 days ago and this beer outclassed it. You can tell they're the same style, but this beer had more effort put into it's overall taste and balance. I had Blue Moon a couple weeks ago. This beer is on par, probably edges out the Blue Moon. And it's only been around 3 years, so Shiner hasn't had nearly as much time to improve on it as Blue Moon has. I had a unfiltered Belgian White my buddy brought from Iowa last month and this tastes, in my opinion, better. The UFO I had was just terrible, in a can, can to glass and tap. This beer is more balanced than 3 of the 4 other Belgian whites I have mentioned and it's balance ties with, or comes close to, Blue Moon. However, I feel this brew has a bit more flavor, coriander and wheat wise.
Mouthfeel. Medium bodied and a little thick actually. Not a bad feel. Good amount of carbonation, but not too much like a Shock Top.
Overall. My go to Belgian white when I am home in Texas (I have yet to see it in Jacksonville, Florida.) it may not be a 5.4 ABV like Blue Moon, but damn, it's a good beer.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.83/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.01/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Screw cap 12 oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is piss yellow and bubbly like soda. Small white head. Negligible aroma. Flavor has a serious coriander note, and along with lemongrass that complete dominates the palate. Not much in the way of wheat or grain going on here. Definitely NOT bready. But at least the spice flavors come through clearly, natural, and unmuddled. Less carbonation than I feared. Overall, this is better than I expected from Shiner, and it's been a while since I've had a Blue Moon, but I bet this compares favorably.

4.06/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a straw color with just less than a finger of head.

Coriander abounds in both the nose and flavor. In fact, that note seems to overwhelm everything else.

Shiner White Wing from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner