Shiner White Wing | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Witbier

Added by Hoganlaw on 11-14-2013

I always reach for Spoetzl Brewed Products for my Goto brew. Got me a sixxer as soon as it hit the shelves. Appeared orange with an off white creamy head. Everything about this beer was good. Smells of citrus, oranges, sweet grains, hops, and a small bit of cream. Very tasty drinkable beer ESP on a hot summer day.

4.86/5  rDev +40.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent. I prefer White Wing over Blue Moon for a refreshing wheat ale

4.76/5  rDev +37.2%

4.56/5  rDev +31.4%

4.56/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.46/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Definitely one of the better wit's available.

4.4/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good Witbeir

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance. Pours a honey-gold-barely hazy orangish color. Kinda like a blue moon but less hazy and a little darker colored. White head, 1 finger. After 3-4 minutes, goes down to a thick foam. A lot of lacing as it is drank and the head resinds after the pour.
Smell. Smells like a Belgian white. I smell coriander. And a hint of malt. Smells good. Let's try it.
Taste. I taste coriander. I taste wheat. I taste a bit of hop and malt. For me, it tastes pretty balanced. I had a 6er of Shock Top 4 days ago and this beer outclassed it. You can tell they're the same style, but this beer had more effort put into it's overall taste and balance. I had Blue Moon a couple weeks ago. This beer is on par, probably edges out the Blue Moon. And it's only been around 3 years, so Shiner hasn't had nearly as much time to improve on it as Blue Moon has. I had a unfiltered Belgian White my buddy brought from Iowa last month and this tastes, in my opinion, better. The UFO I had was just terrible, in a can, can to glass and tap. This beer is more balanced than 3 of the 4 other Belgian whites I have mentioned and it's balance ties with, or comes close to, Blue Moon. However, I feel this brew has a bit more flavor, coriander and wheat wise.
Mouthfeel. Medium bodied and a little thick actually. Not a bad feel. Good amount of carbonation, but not too much like a Shock Top.
Overall. My go to Belgian white when I am home in Texas (I have yet to see it in Jacksonville, Florida.) it may not be a 5.4 ABV like Blue Moon, but damn, it's a good beer.

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Justifying rating with text in the review area. I thought this was "optional", however, since they revamped the rating system, it apparently has it's moments.
I hope this satisfies the save of my rating.

4.27/5  rDev +23.1%

Easily in my top 5 favorite American beers. Perfect amount of coriander and orange with the beer flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

EDIT: See the review by woodychandler instead. Its a bit pedantic, but its a better review and and hell, its a white so maybe thats fitting. I think he said it well though, "It was, indeed, a refreshing beer, but it was lacking in taste." (Probably why I liked it since I generally do not like white beers)

Firstly, I should say I have been a rabid IPA drinker for about 5 or 6 years. Partly because I moved to the eastern US where the IPA's lack the qualities I love, and partly because I have been wanting to expand my beer experience beyond IPA's (which I have drunk all variants and types I could find), I have been trying to explore beers of styles I would not traditionally drink (i.e. non-ales).

Secondly, I should say I give this beer a 4.25 out of 5.00 for whites, not for beer styles overall.

Anyway, my opinion:

Serving Type: While I have poured in a glass, I really feel beers with light notes should be consumed from the bottle (though I do not have glasses appropriated for beer styles). I lose much of the sharp smells and taste when I do not do as such.

I give this beer a high score because its the best white I have had up to this point. I've tried several, and I generally think there is a poor, sour aftertaste for this style of beer. I really Spoetzl's White Wing because it has a clear and crisp finish.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%