Shiner Blonde | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by kbub6f on 11-19-2001

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

2.05/5  rDev -30%

I was grilling some steaks for my wife and I tonight, and since I like to slow cook them and I had some things to do in the yard, I decided to try this to liven things up a bit. I picked it up in a mix and match six pack at the store the other day. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance - Pale yellow with almost no head at all. Looks like your standard issue American adjunct lager.

Smell - Very light grain, not much to speak of. I tried everything, though maybe I had a stuffy nose or something, but no. There just isn't much there.

Taste - Basically tastes like a whole bunch of other American adjunct lagers out there. There is a hint of bitterness at the front and a dash of hops at the back end, but other than that almost nothing.

Mouthfeel - Water. It feels like you are drinking water, so I guess it would be great for a really hot day or something. There is something to be said about that if you live in Texas. It's very clean, leaves you with almost no realization you are drinking beer.

Overall - Remarkably underwhelming, for the price. I could have paid less money and gotten a whole bunch of other beers that pretty much taste the same. I do not think I will be buying it again, but if it was a hot day and I was offered one, I'd still drink it. It's still beer.

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.92/5  rDev -0.3%

A- Very pale yellow, almost appears to be clear at the bottom of my Sam Adams glass. The head starts out two fingers thick and bubbly, but fades out of existence in seconds.

S- Reminiscent of macro lagers with a hint of sweetness.

T- Very light and slightly sweet. Virtually flavorless.

M- Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

D- As drinkable as water.

In all honesty, this beer sucks. However, there is nothing offensive about it. It's definitely better than your average BMC.

3.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

A-Very light golden with a small head. No lacing to speak of.

S-Smell of some light grains and hops. Very light though.

T-The taste is good for how light and watery it is. Light grains and hops are present.

M-Good carbonation and very light bodied.

O-A good beer for its class. Very light. I would drink this kind again if I was thirsty for it.

2.4/5  rDev -18.1%

I've acquired a Shiner Variety Six pack at the store, let us take a look at what they have to offer.

A. Pale yellow and transparent like a watered down urine, sickly foam scum on top attempts to be a head but doesn't quite get there. Absolutely no lacing at all.

S. First whiff is a massive hit of cooked vegetables, but this aroma dissipates as I let the glass breathe for a minute or two. Than I am left with an exceedingly faint crystal malt scent. Not much to this aroma at all to even talk about, I'm afraid.

T. Lively carbonation helps a weak hopping make an initial bitter strike but the initial twang of bitterness flops over and dies just like the malt does. Very weak crystal malt. Not bad (No terrible off-flavors), but also not really all that good either.

M. Crisp and clean, light and fully carbonated... but really watery, which is at least appropriate for matching the flavor of this beer.

I'll probably not be having this one again as it is just too much like a "lite" beer for my tastes.

2.49/5  rDev -15%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear light yellow with a thin fizzy head that is quick to fade. Head settles into a thin ring with no lacing.

There is not a whole lot of aroma with this beer. Some light grain husk along with a light vegetable smell.

The flavor is mostly water with a tiny bit of husky grain and a small amount of hops. A bit tart on the finish.

I got this as part of the "family reunion" variety pack but it's not something I really have any desire to drink again.

2.93/5  rDev 0%

Another beer I got in the "Family reunion" variety pack.

A - Clear pee yellow with a slight bit of head that quickly fizzes away to a slight lace ring. No sticky lace.

S - I don't smell much maybe some lager yeast and hops but it is literally the fainest beer I ever had.

T - Not terrible in a sense of flavor but it's pretty much sweet hop water. No real "flavor" just the bare minimum to create a beer. Even though it's light it's really not terrible with skunked or off flavors.

M - Again light in a sense of a light beer. Session-able.

Overall pretty much the lightest Blonde I ever had so it will be the base line as such. Might give the rest to my friends.

1.95/5  rDev -33.4%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pale, transparent, straw golden color with a thin, thin head that recedes fast. Looks highly carbonated.

S - Pale malt, very light citric notes, stale adjunct. Mild and uninteresting.

T - Extremely watery through the climax, where a bit plain malt and an unidentified bitterness come through. Simple and uninspired.

M - Light bodied and crisp. At least they got this part right.

D - Simple, watery, and low quality. It's drinkable and slightly better than most macros, but that ain't saying much.

Shiner Blonde from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner