Shiner Bock

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Shiner BockShiner Bock
Notes: Tip back a bock. Brewed with rich roasted barley malt and German specialty hops, this lightly hopped American-styled dark lager always goes down easy. Originally a seasonal beer, fans have demanded it year-round since 1973.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,197 | Ratings: 4,451 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
NeutroMan from Illinois

3.2/5  rDev 0%

12 oz can into a tulip.

A: Clear mahogany color with a one-finger light tan head that quickly dissipated.

S: Faint roasted malt.

T: Bready malt and not much else. Has a slightly metallic aftertaste.

F: Light bodied. You can taste the wateriness.

O: I guess this is what a mass appeal Bock is like.

Nov 01, 2021
Docc48

3.55/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I love a "real" Bock..but Shiner Bock is pretty good. It just isn't in my old guy memory a taste like when Bock Beers were seasonal, back years ago in the Midwest. In the desert Tucson..still nice enough generally. I buy a 12 when on sale..these were Friday special 12 pack $5 bucks..nice..so got two 12s. I prefer the taste (as most ) in and from the bottle.
I would prefer more deep taste and a darker..and more then 5%. ABV

But when on sale..no brainer on $5 buck Friday at Albertsons..

Oct 16, 2021
CobraChicken

4.92/5  rDev +53.8%

I can’t help it. I LOVE Shiner Bock. The scent is sweet and appeasing. The taste- refreshing and delicious. I’m not a beer expert. But I am beginning to learn what I like. I know it’s not a “true bock beer”, and I don’t care. This beer is amazing. I may just be some low-brow country redneck- based on the fact that I actually prefer my beer from a can, but I absolutely cannot express how much I enjoy this beer. My only wish is that it had a slightly higher ABV to give a little bite. Regardless- if you haven’t tried it, give it a shot and slow yourself to go to a happy place where beer doesn’t have to be super dark and complex to be good. Many folks are gonna hate me for my high review, but I will not back down. Shiner Bock is a high class, beautiful creation with history and culture, and is a true Texas treasure.

Oct 13, 2021
Tokidrinkstoomuch from Canada (MB)

1.98/5  rDev -38.1%

ah man i really wasted 14 bucks on a 12 pack of this stuff. it tastes super watered down, i was hoping for that rich flavor that i got from some paulaner bock i drank a while ago. at this point i shall not trust anything that's american. overall i think im just a alcoholic lol

Sep 29, 2021
hankp59 from New York

2.77/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is bock light. Muted flavors and mouth feel. Bock beer is normally richer, a little more alcohol and flavor. It will quench your thirst but there is no journey. Light malt, light hops and thin for a bock. Light beer fans may like this but for the rest of us save your money.

Sep 10, 2021
CTHomer from Connecticut

3.62/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; chestnut in color; 1 finger fizzy tan head that receded quickly to a very thin collar; no lacing; bubble rising in the middle of the glass - looks like soda;

S: toasted malt;

T: sweet malt from start to finish; mild bitterness at the end;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation; dry finish;

O: not a great example of the style, but easy drinking; pairs well with food;

Sep 07, 2021
Airon89

3.74/5  rDev +16.9%

I love this beer. It’s cheap, I can find it almost anywhere since I am in Texas, and it’s a great refreshing yet more complex beer then your average cheap American brew. When it’s a hot summer day here in Texas there is honestly nothing more refreshing and light on the belly.

Aug 16, 2021
JStaff00

4.37/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is my go-to beer if I don't want anything too heavy. Brewed an hour away from where I grew up in Shiner, Texas, this beer is always a small slice of home, regardless of where I am. Which is probably why I am so biased about it. Pretty sure this was my first beer I ever had (this or Lonestar).

L - Dark Copper with thin cream looking head
S - Light malty-metallic smell
T - Semi-smooth malty taste. Not sweet, nor bitter.
F - Very light, carbonated
O - Great beer if you want something on the lighter side.

Jul 30, 2021
md3kcn from North Carolina

3.14/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Purchased as a six-pack of bottles from a Sunoco for $8.99. Poured into a tulip glass.

L - Deep copper with a two-finger khaki head.
S - Bread crust, caramel, and oyster crackers.
T - Whole-wheat bread crust. A base tone of caramel and a semisweet finish of biscuit.
F - "Watery". Refreshing. Light-medium body and medium carbonation.
O - For the price point, and considering it as a macro, it does pretty well. As for the bigger picture, it's a very watery beer, almost like a malta-esque beverage. It's pretty alright, and I would probably keep it as a fridge-stocker, but it's nothing to go out of your way for. If you're at a gas station in need of beer, this would be the go-to if you want something better than the other macros in the fridge and not pay out the ass for a craft beer.

Jul 30, 2021
HarlotBronte from District of Columbia

3.71/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Chestnut with a thin white head.

S: Malt , caramel

T: Bready; dry finish

F: Light bodied; medium carbonation

O: Should be rated higher. Pretty good for what it is.

Jun 20, 2021
DrBeergood from Ohio

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

L: Appears dark but it's just roasted barley. Exuberantly carbonated. Glossy surface.

S: Tangy caramel roasted barley goodness.

T: Bready. It's not sweet but not bitter either.

F: Wet finish. Astringent carbonation.

O: You should know what a Shiner Bock tastes like. It might be the best beer on tap.

May 13, 2021
UncleReemus78 from Texas

3.25/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I live in a small southwest Texas town and before I'd ever even heard of craft beer the best beers were imports because USA brewed commercial beers have always been pathetic. Texas has had its share of breweries contributing to that like Pearl, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Falstaff. Lone Star and Shiner were the best Texas had to offer back then. I drank my first Shiner out of a can back in '87 at the age of 14. It is probably one of the first german-style beer I ever tried so it definitely has sentimental and nostalgic value to me. I'm drinking mine out of the bottle right now but I have had it off tap. It's a very tolerable beer but there are batches out there (mainly canned) that taste like they went bad. Not sure if it's because they've gotten hot and then refrigerated again or if it's just the aluminum can but it doesn't sit well in the stomach. Shiner Bock doesn't have much smell to it but the faint scent is similar to New Castle to me. Malty and kind of nutty. Depending on if the beer is out of a fresh batch the taste is drinkable and enjoyable but nothing to get excited about. Little to no hops that I can tell. I've noticed that the ABV% has been lowered at some time in the past 10 years. I remember it used to be 5.0 or 5.2%. It.s now 4.4%

Apr 20, 2021
57md from Pennsylvania

3.36/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a copper color with a finger of head. The nose is faint but I can discern a hint of toastiness. The flavor profile has caramel malts but the whole thing is pretty thin.

Mar 19, 2021
OllieStalz from New York

2.94/5  rDev -8.1%

Nice syrupy color and a decent head. Smells malty and slightly sweet. Goes down fairly smooth. A slightly bitter aftertaste, but not in a bad way. I also detect a little sweetness, but not too much. The taste was okay- not bad but not the best. Would I drink it again? Absolutely! Do I agree with some of the hype about it? Not so much. It definitely is solid, so if you have yet to try it, please do. I don't think you would be offended at all.

Mar 08, 2021
TedHead from Illinois

3.4/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly transparent dark maple syrup color with a tan head that dissipates quickly. It smells very bready with toasty malts and hints of caramel and toffee. Taste follows the nose and it's very bready and sweet with a slightly darker roasted taste, but unfortunately the taste isn't as rich as the smell lead me to believe. It goes down more than easily, but it's slightly thinner feeling than I expected. Overall a very very solid beer for $9.99 a 12er.

Oct 19, 2020
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

3.07/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a deep copper/amber color with a bitchin 1 inch beige head. Picking up mainly malt aroma, the smell isn't as rich as I expected, it almost has no real aromas to it beyond the malts. Super malty up front, very faint flavor of hops, some caramel in there as well; it balances together very well. Full-bodied beer with a rather thin feeling to it, finishes exceptionally smooth though. As a native Texan these beers have been in my blood for a long time, goes great with a meal.

Oct 03, 2020
DanielB93 from Texas

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

After drinking these on the regular, it's time to review.
I enjoy this beer. I can drink it in hot and cold weather with feeling gross about it. It has a good taste but after a few, you start to have a after taste that just kinda lingers around. I enjoy mine with BBQ food and anything that comes off as a heavy meal.
Would recommend for these type of occasions.

Sep 26, 2020
mhuber from New York

4.51/5  rDev +40.9%

Pours reddish-brown with a small head that dissipates quickly. Not much on the nose. A good balance of maltiness and hop bitterness. Slightly sweet. Refreshing, not heavy. Good beer!

Jul 14, 2020
cardfan212 from Minnesota

2.58/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a random glass at my parents' house.

Look - Clear amber-brown body with a rolling cream colored head. Real classic look.

Smell - Very very light and faint scent of metallic malt. Almost no odor.

Taste - Lightly malty, lightly hoppy, like a watered down German bock. Good on a hot summer day of session drinking, not so good for an end-of-night "I'll just have one beer" sipper.

Feel - Very thin and watery, but the perky carbonation makes it a bit better.

Overall - What a weak beer. Like it definitely fits a role, I'd rather have some of these than Miller Lite or something, but something like SNPA is in the same price range and way better (I know it's a different style, sue me). I'm just not that crazy about this beer.

Jul 05, 2020
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.54/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty decent, see through and amber in color. There’s never much of a scent to these old micros, some sweetness, light malt. I do like the malty, slight caramel flavor, it’s not powerful but decent nonetheless. I can absolutely pound these brews. Decently carbonated and thinner in feel.

Jun 05, 2020
mfouch2012

4.75/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very smooth, drinkable and sessionable bock. Refreshingly carbonated with a nice mild toasted malty flavor, with hints of caramel. Very nice copper/amber color with minimal head. Low bitterness with minimal hops. Very well balanced.

May 21, 2020
just1cho from California

2.67/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

*Poured into a Teku glass from a 12oz bottle*

This beer pours a clear brown amber with a off-white colored head. Had about a half finger thick head with only micro bubbles and absolutely no retention to it at all.

As for the aroma, I didn't really get much. Upfront, I got sweet malts, bready notes, and a bit of honey. However, these aromas didn't really last for long and the off aromas started kicking in--mostly musty and cardboard aromas. Disappointingly, there weren't really any presence of hops in the aroma.

The taste follows the nose as I got sweet malty tastes upfront but it was otherwise pretty tasteless towards the middle. The end presented a bit of lemon-y citrus, but that was about it.

Generally, the impression I got from the feel of this was club soda-like. It was light bodied, clean and crisp with high amounts of carbonation. I would say this would be very quaff-able if it tasted a bit better.

This is a pretty below average beer in my opinion. I generally give the benefit of the doubt to every bad beer I drink, maybe I got a bad one? But unless this beer is given or offered to me by someone, I probably wouldn't drink/buy this again.

May 19, 2020
Gordono from Nevada

3.29/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Whisky colored, tan head, no head retention. Yeasty aroma, hint of malt. Sparkling mouth feel. Smooth easy drink, slightly malty, and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Nothing offensive but nothing exceptional.

Apr 07, 2020
Troy-Hawaii from Hawaii

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Bought a 6-pack cans $9.59 Tamuras
82 days before date on can
Clear amber-copper color
Medium-light mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Sweet malt flavors, molasses, a little thin tasting
Overall an ok beer. Based upon other reviews it seems like it cost a lot more in Hawaii.

Apr 07, 2020
jwp777 from Oklahoma

3.45/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated 5/6/20 tasted on 3/21/20.

Pours a dark amber color with a thin white head. Head doesn’t last long or lace much.

Aroma is very bready with some obvious malt qualities.

Taste, like the nose, is quite bready. It tastes of barley and malt plus fresh biscuits and a good balance of hops that bring a brightness to the taste. Finish is a bit long and a tad malty. It’s relatively simple, but well done.

Feel is pretty light. ABV is quite low so it is easily drinkable, and the carbonation is high which makes it refreshing. Fairly smooth.

Overall, a good drinkable beer. Goes easily with food but can be enjoyed by itself. And it’s not super expensive.

Mar 22, 2020