Shiner Bock

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Shiner BockShiner Bock
Notes: Tip back a bock. Brewed with rich roasted barley malt and German specialty hops, this lightly hopped American-styled dark lager always goes down easy. Originally a seasonal beer, fans have demanded it year-round since 1973.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,177 | Ratings: 4,369 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.54/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty decent, see through and amber in color. There’s never much of a scent to these old micros, some sweetness, light malt. I do like the malty, slight caramel flavor, it’s not powerful but decent nonetheless. I can absolutely pound these brews. Decently carbonated and thinner in feel.

Friday at 04:30 AM
mfouch2012

4.75/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very smooth, drinkable and sessionable bock. Refreshingly carbonated with a nice mild toasted malty flavor, with hints of caramel. Very nice copper/amber color with minimal head. Low bitterness with minimal hops. Very well balanced.

May 21, 2020
just1cho from California

2.67/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

*Poured into a Teku glass from a 12oz bottle*

This beer pours a clear brown amber with a off-white colored head. Had about a half finger thick head with only micro bubbles and absolutely no retention to it at all.

As for the aroma, I didn't really get much. Upfront, I got sweet malts, bready notes, and a bit of honey. However, these aromas didn't really last for long and the off aromas started kicking in--mostly musty and cardboard aromas. Disappointingly, there weren't really any presence of hops in the aroma.

The taste follows the nose as I got sweet malty tastes upfront but it was otherwise pretty tasteless towards the middle. The end presented a bit of lemon-y citrus, but that was about it.

Generally, the impression I got from the feel of this was club soda-like. It was light bodied, clean and crisp with high amounts of carbonation. I would say this would be very quaff-able if it tasted a bit better.

This is a pretty below average beer in my opinion. I generally give the benefit of the doubt to every bad beer I drink, maybe I got a bad one? But unless this beer is given or offered to me by someone, I probably wouldn't drink/buy this again.

May 19, 2020
Gordono from Nevada

3.29/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Whisky colored, tan head, no head retention. Yeasty aroma, hint of malt. Sparkling mouth feel. Smooth easy drink, slightly malty, and a touch of hoppy bitterness. Nothing offensive but nothing exceptional.

Apr 07, 2020
Troy-Hawaii from Hawaii

3.5/5  rDev +9.4%

Bought a 6-pack cans $9.59 Tamuras
82 days before date on can
Clear amber-copper color
Medium-light mouthfeel
Medium carbonation
Sweet malt flavors, molasses, a little thin tasting
Overall an ok beer. Based upon other reviews it seems like it cost a lot more in Hawaii.

Apr 07, 2020
jwp777 from Oklahoma

3.45/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated 5/6/20 tasted on 3/21/20.

Pours a dark amber color with a thin white head. Head doesn’t last long or lace much.

Aroma is very bready with some obvious malt qualities.

Taste, like the nose, is quite bready. It tastes of barley and malt plus fresh biscuits and a good balance of hops that bring a brightness to the taste. Finish is a bit long and a tad malty. It’s relatively simple, but well done.

Feel is pretty light. ABV is quite low so it is easily drinkable, and the carbonation is high which makes it refreshing. Fairly smooth.

Overall, a good drinkable beer. Goes easily with food but can be enjoyed by itself. And it’s not super expensive.

Mar 22, 2020
RedbirdRona

3.93/5  rDev +22.8%

Drinking a stein at Scholz Garten in Austin. Look is a dark amber color with maybe a bit of a bready smell. Has tastes of malted barley, biscuits, and a hint of hops. My knock is that it does have a lower abv which contributes to the thin mouthfeel. I can certainly see why this is one of the most popular beers in Texas. It is very sessionable and I plan to have several more. Don't drink a Shiner expecting an IPA. Shiner is a blue collar beer made for the folks who just want to knock back a cold one after a long hot day. I would certainly take this beer over any of the American macro brews. It also come at a very affordable price point at $11 a 12 pack where I live.

Mar 20, 2020
realJohnnyHobo from Maryland

3.42/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shiner seemingly is one of those 'love it or shove it' type of beers that I know oh too well, but have yet to rate it. For me, Shiner has a few good memories of a lost buddy and from time to time I think of the better time's in our lives we shared together and celebrates with our families coincided all-around one beer in general - Shiner Bock. This beer is not brewed to the reinheitsgebot law but is still a solid Americanized style of the classic German Bock.

Pouring a lovely clear caramel brown, this beer has an average 2 finger medium bubble brownish white head that dissipates averagely leaving a small lacing on the top and side rims of the glass.

The smell is nearly absent and very slight caramel malt is noticeable.

On-to the most important part, the taste. Overall you're met with a light malty-rich caramel flavor, which transitions to barley in the mids and finishes with sweetness and a noble hop blend - more than likely pellets. There is a bit of flaked corn maize in the mids, that is hidden but is pronounced if you're looking for it, though it adds a bit of smoothness in its overall texture. The water used in this beer is very soft and has a bit of a mineral character.

Mouthfeel is medium and a bit syrupy, though the corn adjunct finish makes a smooth balance I feel as if I am still enjoying a high quality product.

Mar 17, 2020
gueuzeonhigh from Maine

3.24/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured with a lightly built frothy head that in a few minutes dissipated and vanished..
Has a faint nose- a bit for citrus and some hops and faint hints of flower boquet.
I think that this bock is a light bodied brew with mild demeanor.
I consider this one a member of my ice cold summer thirst quencher group.
Finish is light bodied and mild.
One thing that I do like is the lower alcohol content.
In my opinion it's not a bock beer that you'll reminisce about in years to come.

Jan 19, 2020
Lucular from Maryland

3.58/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz on draft into a shaker pint glass. Pours a light brown with very little head (or maybe the head was poured off - the pint glass was very full when it arrived at the table). Aroma and taste feature biscuity malt and some light coffee and chocolate. Very little hops. Mouthfeel is average carbonation and kind of thin, but then again this is 4.4% so that's not surprising. Overall it's a solid and tasty bock.

Jan 14, 2020
huston84 from New Mexico

3.7/5  rDev +15.6%

Crystal clear dark amber. Head has big bubbles and dissipates to nothing quickly. Faint malt aroma. Bready with just a bit of hoppy bitterness at the end. Light carbonation. Just this side of too sweet. Lot of aftertaste. This is my beer for when there are projects around the house that require all day beer drinking.

Jan 12, 2020
ASKasten

3.28/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cool label but basic bottleneck. Pour leaves ring, which is good. Depending on the bottling, it can taste somewhat sour instead bitter. Has a heaviness and aftertaste is strong.

Dec 22, 2019
defunksta from Illinois

3.48/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Pours a deep golden, copper, almost amber color. Clear. A small white head. SRM of 15. (3.75)

Aroma: Simple and light aromas. Mostly of toast. Bread crumbs, toast, and bread crust. Very simple. I could also describe it as freshly fried, slightly toasted hashbrowns from an authentic Texas diner. (3.75)

Flavor: The flavor is very simple. Just more bread malts. Toast, crust, and bread crumps. It's like if you made whole-wheat toast and scraped the crumbs off the crust and ate them. Finishes dry. (3.50)

Feel: Light body. Low carbonation. Sort of watery. Clean on the palate. (3.00)

Overall: This beer has some bad ratings, but it's better than it gets credit for. It's not a malt bomb. It's just a simple lager. Bread and toast. Some fresh salted hashbrowns. Sometimes the simplicity is nice. However, the body is water and could use more oomph. It's worth comparing to some darker lagers. (Final Rating: 3.48)

Nov 27, 2019
Olek4374 from Canada

3.19/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I first sampled this beer when I visited my Father in Texas earlier this year, and I had a can kicking around in the fridge that I brought back with me.

Bocks are a pretty underrated style in my book, partly because so few brewers in Alberta put them out - let alone put out any good ones. While this beer is nothing spectacular at the end of the day, I found myself buying a couple of cases of this from a nearby HEB to drink while I was in Austin. It's such a simple product, but something about it just appeals to me. It has a pleasant mild maltiness, with decidedly a stronger flavour than your run-of-the-mill domestics. No nasty adjunct flavours, and pours an attractive light brown colour. It's a beer that you can - and I did - drink several of in one go.

I can understand why this beer is so popular in Texas. Just a shame they haven't exported it across the border.

Nov 20, 2019
gvickery from Texas

This beer is medium dark, like a cola with a dark tan head.
I didn’t detect a lot from the smell.
The taste is light caramel malt, semisweet, very light and approachable.
It’s semi dry, watery, with a high drinkability. Not my go-to but I enjoy one now and then.
I use it to cook brats in, works great for that.

Update:
I’ve been getting the 24oz cans of various beers lately. It’s like drinking two, no?
This beer is kinda growing on me.
Also, if your a fan of micheladas like me, Shiner Bock and picante Clamato is one of the best I’ve ever had.

Nov 15, 2019
hottenot from North Carolina

2.99/5  rDev -6.6%

Well this is a pretty famous beer to be sure.
But it doesn't quite live up to the catagory of Bock.
Pretty thin and watery. But the taste is OK.
Kind of like an AAL but dark.
Mostly a malty flavor muted.
No hops were harmed in the making of this beer.
Plus side: Easy to chug-a-lug.
Not terribly filling.

Oct 29, 2019
thesherrybomber from California

2.65/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

It pours a dark amber with a tanned head which quickly disappears. Smell is of malt, spicy hops, a bit of adjuncts? Dry, thin, and balanced between sweetness and bitterness, although its quite watery for a bock. No idea if that's due to the low ABV, adjunct, or what, but it would seem to fit in with the American tradition of "water beer". Even when compared with other mass produced dark lagers, its lacking for me.

Its been a few years since I've had this one, and couldn't remember having formed a strong impression the last time. Now I know why

Oct 14, 2019
GreggFWTX

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 24oz. can into a 16oz. pint glass. Shiner is just a solid bock beer all around. It's not the best and far from the worst. Bottom line: it gets the job done. Overall, I really like it and I consider it a go to. In Texas you can't go anywhere without finding Shiner Bock. Robust flavor and great copper color when poured into a pint glass. I think the taste is a little underrated.

Sep 28, 2019
rapayn01 from Kentucky

3.67/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Having close family in Oklahoma and Texas, I've had this beer plenty of times over the years. The most recent occasions, however, are typically either at Tex-Mex restaurants when traveling or when at a conference that happens to be in Texas. I would not select it at home or by choice. I don't mind the taste, but it's not something I crave.

Sep 05, 2019
Urtravel from Pennsylvania

4.59/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: dark ruby tipping toward brown color with frothy head and lace
S: sweet rapar y malt with a twinge of hops at the end
T: follows smell and soothes the palate
F: rich smooth and soothing
O: a great beer that can stand alongside its kind

Aug 11, 2019
peepicheep from Pennsylvania

On tap at Fink's in Dumont NJ. There are some beers that hit you in the heart and defy explanation as to why I like them. Shiner Bock is one of them. It gets a 5 for me on taste for no reason other than I really like it. Is it the greatest beer I've ever tasted? No way. Is it the most beautiful looking - no to that too. St. Boniface in Ephrata has the most striking copper-y brews I've seen. Bouquets of citrus, chocolate or malt? Nope. So why Shiner Bock? I don't know. But then, to me, this beer is the poster child for Justin Wilson's wise words - the kind of wine (in this case, beer) you drink is the kind you like. Let's just call Shiner Bock the Mac and Cheese of the beer world. Cheers!

Aug 08, 2019
JamieWeisen from Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev +23.4%

Now yes I didn’t give this a perfect score by all means, but the severe amount of snobbery on this site is getting to the point where I feel I have to bring it up now, I mean seriously it’s not Natural Light... so calm down, it’s not meant to be some kind of crazy Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout made on the Moon with pure Dark Matter sprinkled in, I had this on draft, and many other ways and I think it’s a solid beer... just miss me with anything that got light in the name so everyone take a chill pill and drink beer it’s not that big a deal.... unless Natural Light is being served

Aug 01, 2019
DaveAhl from New Jersey

2.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bock beer in general is stronger than a typical lager, and tends to be darker in color. Okay, the Shiner is dark amber but at 4.4% ABV, more of a light beer than a bock. When I was in Europe, bock was only sold for part of the year because it is a bottom fermenting lager that takes more months of cold storage to smooth out such a strong brew. I don’t taste that at all in this. Barely okay in my book.

Jul 30, 2019
jkblr from Indiana

3.14/5  rDev -1.9%

16oz can stamped 092919 OK+ poured into a becher glass at fridge temp, no ABV listed on can. The beer pours bright dark amber with off white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and leaves no lacing. The aroma reveals no trace of malt, only yeast and an earthy aroma. The taste reveals some toasted malt with a slight vegetable corn aftertaste. Medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin plus bodied with above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, not a Bock. It's a not great AAL with a touch of toasted malt and too many off flavors.

Jul 19, 2019
rypkr from Pennsylvania

3.9/5  rDev +21.9%

This is a pretty solid beer for what it is. Nice caramel malt and zippy carbonation. It reminds me of many marzens/oktoberfests.

My only real complaint with it is lack of balance. It's quite sweet and I struggle to find any semblance of the "german specialty hops".

Jul 19, 2019