Shiner Bock

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Shiner BockShiner Bock
Notes: Tip back a bock. Brewed with rich roasted barley malt and German specialty hops, this lightly hopped American-styled dark lager always goes down easy. Originally a seasonal beer, fans have demanded it year-round since 1973.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,179 | Ratings: 4,374 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by gvickery:
gvickery from Texas

This beer is medium dark, like a cola with a dark tan head.
I didn’t detect a lot from the smell.
The taste is light caramel malt, semisweet, very light and approachable.
It’s semi dry, watery, with a high drinkability. Not my go-to but I enjoy one now and then.
I use it to cook brats in, works great for that.

Update:
I’ve been getting the 24oz cans of various beers lately. It’s like drinking two, no?
This beer is kinda growing on me.
Also, if your a fan of micheladas like me, Shiner Bock and picante Clamato is one of the best I’ve ever had.

Nov 15, 2019
StAnthony from Illinois

4.61/5  rDev +44.1%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry.

Jan 20, 2006
MacdaddyDI from Colorado

1.06/5  rDev -66.9%

Texans cannot brew beer yuck, yet they act like Shiner is gods gift to the earth. The beer is obviously dyed. Shiner beer doesn't stack up to even your most common domestic beer. Save yourself the trouble don't buy shiner, unless you like beer that tastes like syrup mixed with stale bud light.

Jul 05, 2014
Beemer from New Jersey

4.94/5  rDev +54.4%

This is my all time favorite beer. Spent some time in San Antonio in the army and the bars got day old kegs from the brewery. Just amazing! I like that it's a a dark flavorful beer that isn't too heavy, I can drink it all night and not get too full.
Also this is my first review and I'm a casual beer drinker not sure how else to discribe the beer.

Dec 17, 2016
illpass78 from Maine

3.73/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a short head that is gone fast. Heavy carbonation.

Aroma: Smells of sweet malts and caramel.

Taste: Caramel, toast, bread, and grain with some malt character.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light of body.

Overall: Nice, simple, approachable beer. It hasn't got much in the way of hop bitterness or explosive flavor, but it's crisp and enjoyable. I paired it with latkes and matzah ball soup on the first night of Hanukkah. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Dec 17, 2014
DirtyMikeandTheBoys from Arkansas

This is the beer featured in country songs. Smoothest amber bock beer you can get under $10 a sixxer. Poors a good amber color with a nice foamy head. Mouthfeel is great and smells of hops and grains. Tastes like Texas. You show up at a party drinking this stuff and your guaranteed to get laid. This stuff is great. Shiner premium is also good to try. Anything shiner is good minus the farmhouse ale. Don't drink that crap. Shiner is guaranteed to make you a badass, get you laid, and put hair on your chest. This is excellent beer from Texas.

I'm from oklahoma but my brothers down in Texas can brew a good beer and I'd fight anyone who says otherwise

Jun 19, 2014
Bunman3 from Canada

3.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For me, some beers are all about time and place. Shiner Bock takes me back to some of my favourite travel memories - Austin, Houston, Galveston, BBQ, and everything that is "Big". Hook 'em horns, hammer a Shiner, and appreciate everything the Lone Star state has to offer.

Jan 16, 2016
RoyTX from Texas

4.57/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now, I have to level set for the rest of the 49 states that get Shiner weeks/months after it was made. I've toured the shiner brewery and can certainly attest to the affects of harsh storing and shipping condition on beer. I have had the flat, bitter, watery shiner bock that has been reviewed and I have also tasted the sweet "Texas tea" that is shiner bock, hours/days after the factory brewed it. Do not blame the brewery or the beer for the failings of time and mishandling of man. Firstly, shiner bock is no where near "hoppy" it is a sweet (as far as beers go) blend of yeast, malt, and hops. We sure do make bread with it down here. The deep caramel color is a clear indicator of taste. It is not intended to be be an overbearing weigh you down, alcoholic bock. It is refined for drinkability and sweet sipping (again think iced tea). It's certainly not a heavy headed brew that and does not pretend to be an exotic concoction of ingredients that blend together to make a disappointing off-putting flavor (Sam Adams Boston lager comes to mind). Take the traditional German respect for bier and an American sensibility for drinkability and crave for refreshing flavors and you have Shiner Bock. I can use apply all the adjectives and similes for the look but taste is he only thing that matters. I'd happily drink a shiner instead of a snobby craft beer placed on a pedestal that tastes like bathroom soap. If you notice the score I didn't say it was perfect due to the varying environments (consistency) I've tasted it in but it is good when it's good.

Jul 12, 2013
69IBU from Canada

3.97/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first drank this beer when I visited my Father in Texas and heard this beer was apparently the hot craft beer in Texas. Regardless of how the average ratings consider this beer - I totally fell in love with it. It's got a nice mild roasted taste, but is exceedingly smooth and fantastic on a hot Texas day. Looks great in a glass with a pleasant light brown colour. Too bad my only option for bringing it home is via my checked luggage on a plane.

Bring Shiner to Alberta!

Dec 01, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.4/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Really?!? I've only ever reveiewed this in a BT? Pssshhh. I had so much of it on draft during my 2004 visit to Dallas that I passed it like water for a week after I went home. Do I like it? Well, it was so popular that A/B felt it neccesary to brew their own knockoff to compete with it. I am less enamored than that, but I am a fan and seeing it in a CAN really pulled my trigger.

100 years, eh? Wow, did this pour beautifully. The color was a deep orangish-brown with super-NE-quality clarity. The head began with a deep-brown color that disappeared fairly quickly. Nose had a sweet, malty character. Mouthfeel was medium with a sweet quality on the tongue. Finish had a root beer-like semi-sweetness. OK, but not fantastic.

Beach/Shore: Yes, but not my first choice. I was underwhelmed by the total sum of this beer.

Aug 03, 2009
adamhdg from Tennessee

2.79/5  rDev -12.8%

L: beautiful amber but with no head to speak of
S: nonexistent
T: mildly hoppy with slight caramel flavor that was tasty
F: weak and watery with little carbonation
O: weak but not bad. Easy drinkability

Mar 15, 2016
detgfrsh from Texas

3.14/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle with no date. Pours a reddish brown with a lacing of bubbles. Not much smell at all, a hint of straw. Thin feel with heavy carbonation. Taste is malt with a touch of straw and hops. Mixed feelings about this one. In the glass, it looks great but there's not much going on in the smell or flavor. Malt should be more prominent given the style. It's not bad, just underwhelming. Might be something to order if I'm ever in a macro-heavy bar.

Feb 23, 2017
TopherBreski from New Jersey

3.82/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Excellent BBQ beer with a great feel. Don't think I would drink it any other time, though.

Mar 08, 2015
DashIpa

On a hot Texas nothing is finer than a cold Shiner......

Feb 21, 2015
BEERchitect from Kentucky

3.1/5  rDev -3.1%

A weaker attempt of a traditional beer. Still plesant tasting though. It looks brown and moderately carbonated. Slightly tan head pours a 1/2" head that wants to stay. No lacing detected. Smells mildly malty, nutty, bready, and yeasty. Tastes smoothly malty, caramelly, roasted, toasty, and a bit chocolatey. Flavors similar to a porter, but not nearly as bold. Body is medium and a bit carbonated. Like many American Bock beers, it is grainy and sweetly sticky to the toung without the supporting malt character or the warming finish. Likewise the finish is sticky and a bit grainy. Yeast character remains. Aftertaste is slightly nutty and clean. A safe, easily drinkable beer, but not one to brag about either.

Jul 26, 2005
pgolcher from Costa Rica

3.06/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

uninspired beer, just an ok beer.

May 13, 2015
Jeffreysan from Maryland

3.74/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, deep, dark, mahogany color with an eighth of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into no head what-so-ever.

Aroma: Pretty nice, but muted, aromas of toasted malt, imparting some notes of freshly baked pretzels or biscuits, followed by some brown sugar, caramel and black pepper.

Taste: Delicious! Massive malt bomb! Strong flavors of bready, toasted malt up front, followed by lots of caramel and brown sugar-like sweetness, followed by more, bready toasted malt!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and very smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 4.4%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This beer is not world class, excellent, or even great, it’s just a damn solid, damn good beer, and I love it! It’s one of my favorite session beers, and a bottle or two are always in my fridge.

Jan 26, 2015
Todd from California

2.05/5  rDev -35.9%

Presentation: 12oz can

Appearance: Copper/amber with a thin head that shows little sign of carbonation.

Smell: Clean smelling with no apparent aromas -- probably due to its being canned.

Taste: Crisp and refreshing like a seltzer water. Grain and husk-like flavours turn this brew dry, while a semi-astringent hop presence joins the steeliness of the can to provide a cheap beer flavour. The brew finishes with a metallic twang and an echo of real hop flavour.

Notes: Not impressed at all. Purchased and consumed on Northwest Airlines (Detroit to Boston).

Oct 03, 1999
Jason from Massachusetts

3.41/5  rDev +6.6%

Presentation: 12 oz twist off brown long neck bottle with no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Crystal clear with a tawny amber that is on the verge of brown, big rocky off white head settles to a two fingered lace that leave a few sticky patches here and there down the glass.

Smell: Clean aroma with hints of husk and dextrin malt, little on the plate of alcohol or hop.

Taste: Medium body with a moderate carbonation, clean and smooth mouth feel with a thin maltiness on the palate. Flavours of toasted malt and caramel run slim with a strained malt sweetness. Hops seem faded and used up with a struggling bitterness. Alcohol warms a bit with a perfume or rose ghost like taste, finish is lean and clean with not much to show for other than remnants of toasted grain.

Notes: Not a bad brew but it leaves the taste buds short on flavour for what a bock should be, for an American Dark Lager it hold up well and is a step above the big guys.

Jan 21, 2002
Jeff_Dubya from Texas

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Shiner was my go to beer throughout college. It's an outstanding bock and there's a reason it always gets a gold medal in international beer festivals. At the price point, can't go wrong. Just don't let it get too warm.

Feb 15, 2017
edward_boumil from New York

3.34/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

L: Ruby red beer, poured a small head that disapears. Some carbonation apparent.
S: Smells nice to me, caramel and toffee like, very sweet and inviting, if not a bit thin and 1 dimensional
T: Somewhat thin flavor. Repeats the nose, is a bit thin with a touch of dryness on the finish (its very minimal).
F: Smooth and very refreshing.
O: Leaves a little to be desired, though it is certainly not a bad beer. Its an easy drinker that is certainly not offensive and actually quite tasty, but not something to knock your socks off.

Mar 08, 2016
Globetrotter from Virginia

2.27/5  rDev -29.1%

Pretty bad. It pours reddish-brown, with next to no head, no lace and no collar. It smells like caramel, and sits heavy-sweet in the mouth. The taste is caramel and sugar. I couldn't find any hops. Saying it tastes like Coke would be doing Coke a disservice.

Jun 13, 2003
1099 from Texas

3.39/5  rDev +5.9%

My favorite brew from the Spoetzl Brewery is a staple here in San Antonio.

I sampled this on tap at a local Hooters during a Spurs game.

When it arrived at my table in a frosted mug, the first thing I noticed was the extremely dark color of this beer. It also had a nice 1 finger head that was very creamy and stuck around like nobody's business. Lacing was also very pronounced.

The smell is kind of perplexing. It smells of musty, stale malt. If I graded this on smell alone, it would fail.

The taste was very nice, however. Caramel malts, some hops and a little alcohol. This was like a party on my palate (or maybe it was just the spurs crowd?)

The mouthfeel was thin, and the finish was dry and bitter. I like that.

Drinkability is very high. I could drink a ton of these if given the chance.

This is a nice offering from Shiner.

Apr 26, 2008