Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,060 | Ratings: 3,868
4.43/5  rDev +45.7%

I just Love this beer.

I don't know if it is because I was leaving in TX for a year but this lager is simply great.
I have many souvenir of very hot days and the shiner served at very low temperature (almost freezing) and my glass wasn't big enough.

The taste is crispy with a bock taste. I always like flying at DFW just for one more!

Matt

4.42/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This is my go-to beer when back in Texas. It was my father's beer and that definitely influenced my choice also. I love the taste and the appearance. It's a darker lager-style beer (not a true German-style bock), and has a great finish. I like that it is becoming more widely known outside of Texas.

4.4/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As a Texan I have a special affinity for Shiner and the Spoetzl brewery. Shiner Bock is what turned me onto dark beers and it has always been one of my favorites. So good and popular that Anheuser-Busch had to copy it with their Ziegen Bock. It is in my opinion the Beer of Texas.

4.4/5  rDev +44.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Brownish amber coloring with a decent bit of head.

S- Smells a tad sweet with a noticeable, but not overpowering, smell of hops.

T- You can taste the slight hint of caramel malts. It has a hint of hops as well.

M- Goes down very smoothly with a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D- Something you can drink regularly and frequently over the course of a night.

4.35/5  rDev +43.1%

If you are hating on this beer, let me say you are a jive ass mother fucker who doesn't know the first thing about ethanol. I am a scotch connoisseur. The only wine I can stand is Chianti. I may be a bit close minded about alcoholic beverages, but let me say Shiner is one of the finest beers in America.

Shiner has a caramel malted and nutty flavor. Very light barley and hop flavor, it reminds me of a Bavarian beer with a lesser prominent hop flavor.

It is like a German lager had a baby with a Scottish ale.

Not much to the smell, just sweet and corny.

The finish is the best part. It is incredible, one of the best finishes of any beer I have tried. It compares to Glenfiddich in terms of feel. I have always heard the brewery used to sell this beer for less, so possibly it could be more competitively priced.

It is good, and the best buy at a gas station. The only two beers I enjoy better are Belhaven and Yeungling(which it's strangely similar too).

4.35/5  rDev +43.1%

Shiner Bock is a great going-out beer. In a pool-hall with the buds, or a strip club....whatever the setting. It's a great beer to grill with, both to marinade and to drink while you cook. Shiner is the beer of Texas, and not without good reason. Grab a 6er and try it out next time you throw a grill on, and see what I mean.

4.3/5  rDev +41.4%

A: a nice amber bronze color. a bubbly head that falls fairly quick.

S: a lightly hop scented beer. with a grainy follow-up and an almost nutty finish.

T: all i can say is it tastes like Texas...

M: a medium thickness with a foamy heady finish. extremely smooth.

D: this is my go-to beer. "oh you don't have this? you don't have that? Ill take a shiner bock please."

P.S.

i have had shiner bock in a glass, on tap, and a can. it is all great.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice medium/ dark brown with a good tan head
has a rich malty sweet aroma. with a sweet malty caramel taste.
A nice medium body feel.
This is good mild sweet, not bitter. Will get again.
one of my favorites.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Light brown, lightly carbonated, light head, and alive.

Smell - Mildly smoky and malty with a slight earthy aroma.

Taste - Slightly bitter yet clean. Mildly malt flavor and excepted. No bad surprises and fits the bock style well as far a Texas made beer goes.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean, the beer feels nice on the palate.

Overall - My favorite beer for barbecuing, especially brisket. This beer is best served ice cold with ribs or Texas style barbecue.

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%

Appearance:
Good bubbly head that dissipates quickly. No lacing. The body has a color halfway between iced tea and coca cola. Clear. Average carbonation.

Smell:
Mild. Malty. Sweet.

Taste:
Malty and sweet. Clean, smooth, and drinkable. Mild hop flavor and bitterness at the end. Very slight toastiness to the malt. Adjuncts are not detectable.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied. Very drinkable. Decent carbonation. The low alcohol really helps this go down smoothly.

Overall:
A good beer. A lager with more character than most, but still very smooth and drinkable. Not cheap but not expensive either. Middle of the road in terms of price and quality. An easy drinking beer, with some character, that is better than many others.

4.22/5  rDev +38.8%

Introduced to this beer by my Texan wife who claims ot have drank copious amounts of it in college. This has become a beer fridge staple so keep that in mind reading. Great copper color, pours with a nice head that quickly disappears. Typical american lager smell with a slight asstringent flavor.

Good mouthfeel and a drinkablity that goes well with BBQ or Mexican. Not my favorite beer but I still find it appealing.

4.19/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Don't know why it isn't rated higher. And fits the profile for a Bock, though called different things, in the various BJCP style guidelines. Mine, draft, in chilled mug from a keg. Nice dark amber color, mild malt smell, low hopping but with slight German hop flavor, no alcohol taste, a bit of lacing but holds the light brownish head throughout my drinking it. Nice mouth feel, moderately malty, with a little sweetness, very enjoyable. More an American lager than a German one, tho'. Better than I remember it from the old days. Helps me look forward to Spring.

4.16/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, the classic Texas bock beer that everyone knows about even if one doesn't like it. Let's take a look at this one.
This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a soft dark brown color with a two finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Lacing speckled in a foamy spider web sort of way.
The smell has some sweet bready tones rolling over some coffee, toffee, cocoa, nutty and caramel flavors.
The taste engages the previously mentioned flavors to blend and bounce into the aftertaste. There's a sweet wet finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium body with a sly sessionably sweet smooth creaminess rolling all about. Carbonation runs light.
Overall, what's not to love with this one. There's enough complexities in this one, just treat it like a bock and all will be right with the world. Cheers, I'll have another, please! Oh and FYI, if you grab a sixer of this and don't like, make beer bread out of the rest, you'll thank me later.

4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

love at first sight
smells great nice and malty
i love this beer, drink it all the time as it by far the best choice at most restaurants in the area. maybe its my current lack of tasting experience but to me this is what bock is supposed to taste like. full flavor, smooth and very consistent. puts a smile on my face every time.
good feel, you know its there and just keep wanting more.
great because you can slowly enjoy the first few and continue to pound them all night

4.15/5  rDev +36.5%

This is a great beer. Not at all what I would consider a bock beer, but very good. I wish I could get this beer here in Pennsylvania. We recently visited the Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner, Texas and had some fresh draft samples there also.
A malty and better than average amber lager. Nice head and
body. I hope they can get it up to my area in the future.

4.14/5  rDev +36.2%

I personally like the taste of the beer. Its color is good which fits its taste. I did notice after a while that it has been pulled from tap that it acquires a lack of a better word, a buttery taste that really dosn't go good with anything. I do like this beer and I'm not bashing it. The Buttery taste in my opinion did not take effect until thirty or so minutes after pour. I do keep some in my fridge. I have Shiner before to make burgers with, which turned out great. Good beer for Beer lovers.

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

Shiner Bock poured a beautiful transparent autumn colored amber, with a 1 inch head in to my pint glass.

smell: The smell was that of flowers, slight hops, and almost a touch of citrus zest.

taste: Malty and lightly hopped, floral like flavor.

extremely smooth and clean tasting, yet in my opinion has the premier flavor and characteristics of a great session beer. The drinkability is perfect, I could drink these all night!

Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev +35.5%

I don't think that I can be impartial of this one. Shiner taste like...home.

A medium orange brown with quarter inch of white head.
S sweet, slight smell of hops
T slight malt after taste, slightly sweet, medium carbonation
D In texas, this is the beer that teaches the young guys that there is life after budweiser. I could drink these all day. In fact I have had many a liter.

I definately think freshness makes a difference here. I have had at a restraunt like Love and War in Texas, where you know they empty at least keg of Shiner every day. And the drinkablity is killer. Then go to Applebees or something and the taste is different.

4.12/5  rDev +35.5%

This is one of my favorite beers! Need I say more? Oh but I will. I've had Shiner Bock on tap a couple of places and more often than not the tap hasn't been as good as the bottle. Shiner Bock obviously has a little more sugar than most beers and it has a slight sweet taste, but is still very refreshing. I took a backpacking trip into the mountains of West Virginia last weekend and hadn't had a beer in a couple of days. All I could think of on the hike out was the Shiner Bock in my cooler. It tasted like liquid joy, I thought my companion the black dog was going to take it off me and drink it himself. It's a bit darker in appearance than I once thought the perfect beer would be, but now that dark amber is my favorite color. The smell is light and appealing, not too aromatic, but with enough weight to make you anticipate what is to come. The taste, is slightly sweet with a hint of molasses and caramel, without being too sweet. Shiner Bock goes well with wings, ribs, crabs or anything a beer is supposed to go with. The feel in your mouth is light enough to want to drink several, but heavy enough to know you have. Overall, an superb surprise from right here in the USA.
I've got a couple good buddies who feel like I do. So you beer snobs can have your beer that no one can find, spell or stomach, I'll take a Shiner Bock and I'm not even from Texas.

4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

Very nice brew...nice color, no nasty aftertaste. When you consider the price of this Texas brew with a comp from Europe it's a great value for bock drinkers. Impossible to find in the Western NY area I'm from, so I bring it back from beer stores in Erie, PA. I've never had a complainy when I serve this bock.

4.08/5  rDev +34.2%

Very drinkable, love the color nice amber to it. Great malt taste you can really learn to enjoy this beer. Only problem to me is there really isn't alot of kick in it, but taste deffinetly compensates. One of my favorite beers. A Texas Classic beer that never disapoints. If you haven't tried it you really got to get your hands on one. Two thumbs up!

4.07/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I must admit that it has taken me a while to obtain a liking of most beers. Shiner Bock is the first beer I truly enjoyed.

The aroma and taste of the beer are just right for my liking. I would like to add that I only like this beer cold or near to it. It is not pleasant when it begins to warm up.

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

Poured into a pint glass, the bock appears somewhat lighter than others I've tried but still has a decent, medium-brown hue. The head is a little on the thin side, however the stout I've been drinking lately might have skewed my view. The aroma is probably the beer's best feature - warm and fruity with just a hint of spice. Flavor wise the beer comes up a little short; it has many of the subtle fruity characteristics of a bock, but it seems a little on the thin side. Overall, not a bad beer, and at the very reasonable price I'm sure I'll buy it again.

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

This is one of my favorites,dark in color small nice head. Very nice sort of fruity hop smell. Taste is very Refreshing to me and calls for more then one! Nice smooth feel in your mouth no after taste. Easy to drink and enjoy it, a very mild favorful Bock with out any harshness. And at a nice price too.

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

Thanks for sharing Kev! 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep copper color with two fingers of head that die off quickly. There is almost no lacing. The smell has a decent caramel malt base. It's fairly sweet, and there's a faint hint of biscuit malt. The taste is sweet and malty. Lots of caramel, kinda toasty as well. The finish has the slightest bit of hops. The mouthfeel could be a little bit thicker. The drinkability is great. A decent American take at a bock.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner