Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,080 | Ratings: 3,982
2.16/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Amber with little no head and lacing.

S: Not a whole lot there. What I did notice was a little bit of corn. That's about it.

T: Watery. That was my first impression. Very malty with some spiciness. But mostly just watery. Not impressed in the least.

M: Average. Again, watery. Not impressed.

D: If you can get through the mediocrity bordering on badness of this beer, it's easy to knock back a few without really feeling it.

A friend in college told me this was his favorite beer. I think it's time to introduce him to the good stuff.

2.96/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear dark red, light brown with a pillowy off white head. The head doesn't last very long, but there is some lacing. Moderate carbonation throughout.

Smell: Smells mostly of malt, but there is a little sign of some hops. Nothing to get overly excited about, but not bad.

Taste: About the same as it smells. A very light hint of hops then a nice malty finish. Not over the tops malty, but it leaves a decent malt flavor in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: The malt is all it leaves in the mouth. Very light and smooth. No bite at all from bitterness or anything. Just goes down leaving nothing but flavor to tell you it was there.

Drinkability: Easy to drink. It's got decent flavor, it's smooth, light, and refreshing.

Well, I finally got around to reviewing it because I finally got some. My father-in-law gave me what he had left of a 12pack that he bought the other day. Not to say he doesn't like it, he just doesn't drink enough to keep the whole thing to himself. This is one of my old favorites and it was quite a trip to go back and try it after all the others I've now had. Really much different than I remember, but all around still good and refreshing. Goes great with popcorn and football. Still like it, just not the same as before.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at a local bar... It didn't seem like there were a lot of ambient scents around, but I didn't get a whole lot out of either of the beers I reviewed this day. May have to give this one a second review sometime.

A - Dark amber color, almost brown. Very clear with no real head to it except around the rim of the glass. No lacing left when there's no head around.

S - Not a very strong scent, but what was there was a bit of malty, brown sugar.

T - Now I remember why I wasn't too excited when it left Texas. Not much more than a bit of carmely malty sweetness. Nothing to write home about.

M - A little bit soapy feeling actually, not exactly bad, but once again, not impressed.

D - I have no real problem with the beer, but I'd really like more out of it... This is kind of a Macro-Bock, so it's widely appealing with nothing that would offend anyone, but I wouldn't go out of my way to search it out. Would choose it over most "lite" macros though.

3.46/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours an amber-brown body with an initially light head dwindling to faint lacing. Smells of slightly metallic husk but not too strongly. Tastes of toasted grain, tiny pinch of hops with a relatively sweet and dry finish. Cannot pick up any strong traces in particular. In this bock style, this beer could use a bit of "beefing" up in terms of flavor, however, this is a light, refreshing beer nonetheless.

2.38/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ordinarily I'm a fan of Bock beers. It's one of the few lager styles that I can tolerate. This stuff, however, ought to be called bock lite or something like that because there's not much to it. Dark amber in color with a thin head. Slighly malty in the nose and even less so in taste. Very, very bland. This was the best available choice in the U.S. Airways terminal at Bush International. I should have had a bottle of water.

The Shiner brand is practically a state heirloom with each generation of Texans introducing it to the next. While other brands have taken the “artistic” road in their line of offerings, our friends at Spoetzl Brewing have stayed to the middle of the Devil’s Backbone.

Not quite the Bock style that it was back in the early 90’s, this beer has become a lager-ized brown ale that isn’t too sweet. For the price it’s a good session beer that is a state favorite.

It is best served on the warmer side and paired with schnitzel and sauerkraut.

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: transparent brown with very tiny light head

S: not a hole lot, but some maltiness and some burnt caramel

T: not what i expected from a bock, carries a faint bit of roast and sweet but kind of watered down

M: nothing special, a bit thin

D: I can see how it would be en easy one to down quickly, but nothing too special

overall I was a little bummed on this one, had heard a lot about Shiner in Texas but was let down

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into glass.

A: A clear dark amber color, or light brown. Active carbonation with a tan head.

S: Toasted grains, bready malts and earthy scent. None of these scents are really strong and they provide a mild refreshing aroma.

T: Taste has malty and nutty flavor. Also, a slight sweet caramel taste is in there. I get a small metallic taste, more of an aftertaste. Other than the metal, this one was tasting decent.

M: Medium mouthfeel, which made this hard drink towrds the end.

O: Pretty average in my opinion. I had this a couple years ago with bbq in Austin, and I liked it then. This time when actually thinking about what I was drinking I was a little more unimpressed. Will probably have again in the future somewhere in Texas, but I won't actively seek it out.

3.01/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Dark amber color, clear, very little carbonation, initial head is quickly reduced into an extremely thin lacing.

S: Caramel, some malt, and a unique smell that I can't get my nose on. Almost like stale mango; kind of hard to describe.

T: Initial taste has some sweetness to it and it disappears rather fast. There is a subtle taste of biscuit once you begin to swallow but you really have to look for it. There is no real aftertaste and once you finish taking a drink the flavors are non existent.

MF: Very smooth beer. Leaves no bitterness behind and no taste of alcohol. The finish is a little dry. Overall very watery.

O: I think this is a good beer to have when you want to have a session beer and don't want to settle for a BMC. It definitely has more flavor than the macro beers but they aren't very memorable. I suppose it's a good beer to give to a friend or relative who is looking into craft beers but is not ready for something like Stone, Laguanitas, or Sam Adams. For what it is, it's an okay beer.

Part of a variety 6 pack purchased today that Spoetzl sends out.

Poured into a wine glass. Dark Amber colored. Nice foamy head, White. Left little lacing.

Smells very little like a bock.

Carbonated a bit much, not enough body for bock.

Not a bad beer, but to call this a bock is just not right. Amber lager would be better.

If I am looking to drink a bock, I will pass on this.

2.6/5  rDev -14.8%

hmmm, i kinda expected more. pours an amber color with a nice 1" head. the head dissipates quickly and leaves very little lacing. smells mostly of malt, hops, corn maybe. the taste is mainly the bitterness of hops with some malt. it seems to be kinda over carbonated which explains the low mouthfeel rating. too many harsh bubbles. i would drink it again but there are MANY others that i would rather have.

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

pours a one finger plus head. it is a medium brown that is very clear. i smell malt, an earthy note, and grassy. malt and bitter is well-balanced. the style should be a little heavier to the malt but i like it balanced. finishes clean and spicy. fair, very drinkable beer but nothing remarkable.

2.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Overall it was ok, but the mouthfeel kinda ruined it for me.

The appearence was dark but hardly any head or lacing. Probally due to the flatness of the beer itself. The bottle had some interesting little tid bits and I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Taste was fine for the style, nothing amazing, but average and drinkable. Highly malty with a small hint of hops.

Very watery mouthfeel, with too low of carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Brownish amber with average head size and retention and average lacing.

Aroma: some malty, toasty smells wtih some vinous and alcoholic smells as well.

Taste: lighter flavor of malts. Fairly sweet and toasty. Some caramel.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. ok carbonation and a dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: very easy. One of my brother-in-law's favorite session brews, the other being Bud Light.

Notes: Just too thin and watery with not enough taste to be a really good bock. Not bad though.

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

Why? Why did I buy this, I don't know...I had a six of Sam Adams Light and put it down for this...why? Can I return a 5 pack?

Appearance: Looks a little like apple cider in color. Head?

Smell: Yeasty...I didn't find it pleasant.

Taste: Not as bad as the aroma. Bland and leaves your taste buds lightning fast.

Drinkability: If it wasn't almost 90 degrees out there and I'm doing yard work, I would not drink it, but lets face it, it is better than H2O.

2.77/5  rDev -9.2%

This is the beer that got me started on trying other beers and off of extreme crap such as coors light, keystone light, bud light....etc. BUT for me it has been nothing more for me but a gateway beer to better beer. it is really NOT that great. trying it now it seems to have a funny aftertaste and nothing impressive, and perhaps a poor representative of a bock. it gets a low score because of that.

NOTE: i should also add that shiner offers other brews that are much better than this...in other words don't totally throw out the brewery itself.

2.31/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours out a deep brown with some ruby mixed in. When held to the light it is almost copper in color. The body is clear but not what I'd call crystal clear. An inch high head forms on the pour and it is white in color. Quickly recedes to almost nothing atop the liquid. No lacing is produced on the walls as this one reduces in the glass.

Mostly malt in the smell that has a slight toast bread smell to it. This really reminds me of a BMC smell. Not very interesting.

Must like the smell, getting bready malt sweetness. There is also this very noticeable metallic taste that I get toward the end of each sip. Aside from that, there ins't much else to this one. Can't say this one is impressing me much.

Very thin and fizzy feeling. Lots of carbonation fizz on the tongue at this one is drank.

This is a pretty easy drink. For me this was a slight step above say the normal BMC line up. No problem finishing this and I wouldn't refuse one if I was handed one but I don't plan on buying this one again.

2.7/5  rDev -11.5%

appearance is quite nice, it is a dark amber with lots of little bubbles keeping a stubborn and sophisticated i white head afloat.

i only recognize week thin pils in the taste.

the taste doesnt reach much deeper than the smell with light toasted malts and some light floral hops, clearly more refreshing and light than most bocks.
good only because it is too hot here.

thin body carbonated and a moderate finish

i imagine if i wanted to drink dark beer on a sweltering day this would be the compromise.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

Quick review - uneventful. Might have broken Texas soil when it was new. It's not new anymore.

Color - a very transparent reddish brown. I can't get much of a head on it. What I do get leaves no lacing.

Smell - this beer smells like a bock. I smell malt and maybe some chocolate in there. No scent of hops, not that a bock should smell hoppy.

Taste - not much. I get something of a light malt with no sweetness. Maybe too balanced with bittering hops. This beer has a decent flavor that I would prefer a good bit sweeter/maltier.

Mouthfeel - medium. More mouthfeel than flavor.

You could easily session this beer. Unfortunately, I'll be constantly searching for something with more flavor.

2.84/5  rDev -6.9%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, so I picked some up at the Whole Foods in Dublin, Ohio...

Appearance: Pours to a clear deep amber color with light foam that fades quickly with almost no lacing.

Smell: Indistinct and light. Some slight malt hints in the aroma.

Taste: Very light taste. Mild bitterness, mild malt flavor. A very subtle beer. Refreshing, but easily overwhelmed by food.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery with some unreleased carbonation.

Drinkability: Good, refreshing, pleasant to drink, but not particularly interesting.

2.46/5  rDev -19.3%

My wife love this beer and swears by it. She said it was the best widely available beer around.

appearance: drank from bottle

Smell: very slight sweet/pine smell

Taste: tasted watery like molson to me, except with a nasty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Drinkability: I can't bear the aftertaste. I had one and was through.

3.39/5  rDev +11.1%

My favorite brew from the Spoetzl Brewery is a staple here in San Antonio.

I sampled this on tap at a local Hooters during a Spurs game.

When it arrived at my table in a frosted mug, the first thing I noticed was the extremely dark color of this beer. It also had a nice 1 finger head that was very creamy and stuck around like nobody's business. Lacing was also very pronounced.

The smell is kind of perplexing. It smells of musty, stale malt. If I graded this on smell alone, it would fail.

The taste was very nice, however. Caramel malts, some hops and a little alcohol. This was like a party on my palate (or maybe it was just the spurs crowd?)

The mouthfeel was thin, and the finish was dry and bitter. I like that.

Drinkability is very high. I could drink a ton of these if given the chance.

This is a nice offering from Shiner.

2.11/5  rDev -30.8%

pours amber, with fine bubbled carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. if the color isn't enough of an indicator, it's immediately apparent that this isn't really a bock by pouring viscosity alone.

big giant DMS hit immediately after the pour. blech. once that clears, there's a "salty caramel corn" component, which is a little better. I don't smell any hops, and don't really expect much with this style, but some hint of german noble hops would be nice. what is there reminds me of rotting seaweed at the ocean.

flavor is primarily toasted caramel in nature, with a little corn sweetness, and maybe a hint of roast. tough to tell. there's really not much to work from, and this completely pales in intensity to a true -ator class bock.

mouthfeel is thin, as it should be for an amber lager, but way too thin for a true german-style bock.

I remember being unimpressed when I had one of these in san antonio, and thinking to myself "this is a bock?" it's drinkable, albeit pretty boring. like a standard american lager with caramel coloring added.

this bock is a gelding in comparison to the real deal.

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%

appearance - looks much like a light version of a brown ale. not too much for looks here, a thin white foam quickly vanishes into American beer heaven.

Smell - smells very medicinal or like dead grass after the rain. Offputting sweet smell as well.

Taste - It tastes exactly like the old crumpled up Coors Lite can you smelled on the roadside that was tossed by someone who later killed a family of four... very beery taste. lite and empty.

Mouthfeel - light fizzy, rubbing alcohol like. light and unsubstantial.

Drinkability - It's too bad I've discovered good beer, unfortunatley this is not one of them. BUT, if I was a rebel flag waving tattooed biker guy, I'd down a case of these and still not have a buzz. try again, Shiner.

2.71/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I first enjoyed this beer over a decade ago in South Texas alongside some raw oysters. Now that it's in my area, I'm anxious to try it again for the first time.

Pours a mahogany brown body that's surprisingly translucent. Whitish head is gone before I can come up with a better adjective, leaving no trace.

Not much going on with the nose. Faint corn aroma, caramel and raisin.

The taste is only slightly less understated. Not as corny as your average macrobrew, it's fresh, has some caramel malt character, and is effortlessly balanced by its hop presence. Pretty clean, but there is a slightly off-putting metallic finish.

This beer thin. In the words of the immortal Bilbo Baggins, "like butter, scraped over too much bread."

Quaffable yet underwhelming, it has some bock characteristic but doesn't pack enough punch to suit the palate of the craft beer generation.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner