Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,079 | Ratings: 3,981
3.15/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a pretty sweet caramel brew. Ruddy brown with off-white bubbly head that settles quickly. Smells of roasted malt and caramel and nutty . Tastes harkens to brown ale almost making this a brown-bock hybrid. Simple flavor profile. Finishes a little slick. Longs for a touch of bitterness.

2.13/5  rDev -30.2%

Shiner Bock isn't a Bock....it's a Vienna style lager. I'm rating this beer as a bock.

If you're expecting a traditional Bock beer, Shiner isn't it. Shiner has little to no maltiness, is approx 2% low on ABV and has a thin body. It's more comparable to Negra Modelo, Great Lakes Eliot Ness or Boston Lager (all three are better than Shiner).

This isn't a bad beer. It's not true to the bock style but, it's also not on my "buy again" list.

3.19/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Amber/Brown color (looks like strong English tea) , white weak head dissipating v. quickly, no lacing.
S - Light aroma, malty.
T - malty little sweetness, light bitterness not stays to long. I didn't found other tastes.
M - Low carbonation, light body, low level of alcohol in taste.
O - Nice smooth simple beer, clear taste only malt and hoop, little to low carbonation, good example of the style.

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

This is one of the better beers I have had from Texas. I have had it from both the bottle and in a glass. The appearance in the glass is brownish with a white head that fades a little too quickly. There is ample amount of lacing left over. The aroma is of grain husks and corn. There is a fair amount of carbonation that made me belch quite a few times but I feel that is par for the course. The beer tastes good and with a low a.b.v. I can easily drink a couple without feeling sick. The mouth feel, however, was a bit thin and watery. The finish was crisp, refreshing, and easy drinking. It's a good beer over all and I would reach for this over the likes of Lone Star and Alamo Golden. For a mass produced beer it is what it is and I would give it a B+. On a side note I found the beer paired well with pulled pork, steak, and Mexican food.

3.12/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The first beer I ever did try. Probably should have poured from bottle to glass, but still not too bad.
An amber bock style beer is always gonna be different from a pilsner or any other lager, and this one is no different.
The smell isn't so bad, with a bit of breadiness and alcohol being the most present, and not much of anything else.
It's a bit of an acquired taste with the bitterness being up front, and while it is a bit watery, it got easier to drink as the beer warmed up. Not much in the way of hoppiness, but the breadiness in the smell was present in the flavor.
The feel is a bit thick at first but smooths out towards the finish, which is a bit on the bitter side.
Probably should have started off with a light beer for my first, but I'm glad Im glad I chose this one to have with my pops. Not the best beer I've had, but it'll always be known as my first.

2.84/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was the first Bock that I ever tried. I didn't know what to expect, but it came out quite amazing. I remember on the first sip, there were hints of Budweiser to it. At least that is what it reminded me of, but as I began to just simply drink the beer, and allow it to take over my taste buds...i tasted the differences. It was refreshing, while I wouldn't put it up close to other Bocks I've tried after, it was still refreshing. Nothing too spectacular, but it has good qualities to it that allow it to open you up to other beers.

3.6/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shiner Bock, 4.4% ABV, 13 IBU. Pours thin and dark brown, with a one finger off-white head, left no lacing. Nose is malt, taste is malty and sweet, no bitterness. A bit overcarbonated, watery, but still smooth. Overall not bad.

3.14/5  rDev +3%

12oz bottle with no date. Pours a reddish brown with a lacing of bubbles. Not much smell at all, a hint of straw. Thin feel with heavy carbonation. Taste is malt with a touch of straw and hops. Mixed feelings about this one. In the glass, it looks great but there's not much going on in the smell or flavor. Malt should be more prominent given the style. It's not bad, just underwhelming. Might be something to order if I'm ever in a macro-heavy bar.

4.2/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Shiner was my go to beer throughout college. It's an outstanding bock and there's a reason it always gets a gold medal in international beer festivals. At the price point, can't go wrong. Just don't let it get too warm.

4.28/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. I picked up a 12 pack for $14 at the liquor store. You get what you pay for though. You definitely want to drink this beer ice cold. The warm it gets it starts to lose its appeal.

3.75/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I would not call this poor by any means in my opinion. It's smooth and goes down easily. Not a very good but not a poor as I see in some ratings. Okay/pretty good is my score.

2.97/5  rDev -2.6%

Beautiful, clear, highly filtered look. Deep amber - just shy of brown. Thin, quickly-disappating beige head.

Strong nose hits before lifting the glass. Young, grainy malt smell. Hard water, copper, wet slate, rain. I’m excited to taste.

The taste is thinner than the nose had suggested. Heavily carbonated, not much on the tongue, but a perceptible malt character on the aftertaste. Light molasses and brown sugar, balanced more by carbonation than hops. Halfway into the glass, the overwhelming sensation is carbonation rather than flavor.

My impression is that they’ve selected malts which did a great job of creating a beautifully colored darkish beer, but if I closed my eyes I would not think this is a bock. American Amber Lager, perhaps. I worry that it would be syrupy and unpleasant if left to warm and flatten - like the carbonation and refrigeration are masking a fundamentally unbalanced brew.

4.94/5  rDev +62%

This is my all time favorite beer. Spent some time in San Antonio in the army and the bars got day old kegs from the brewery. Just amazing! I like that it's a a dark flavorful beer that isn't too heavy, I can drink it all night and not get too full.
Also this is my first review and I'm a casual beer drinker not sure how else to discribe the beer.

2.93/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Translucent dark caramel color, with a thin soapy head.
S: Faintly sweet aroma.
T: Lightly toasted malt, no bitterness. Very crisp, grainy alcohol taste more than anything else.
M: Light bodied.
O: I can't say I like it. Of course, it's the macro, popular take on a bock and I haven't had much to compare it to. That being said, I simply didn't enjoy this one's taste.

3.69/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A deep, clear amber color with dark shadowy brown hues and an off-white fizzy head, caps out pretty quick. A flat look after the foam rolls away. Lacy.

A deep amber malt aroma, mild chocolate, spicy and herbal hop in the back. Deep dark fruity thing, caramel malt.

The malt flavor is very effective, with mildly sweet, rootbeer-esque amber qualities, classic Bock style malt here, maybe a bit light, but also very pleasant. The feel is light and very crisp with a gentle, long malt finish. The hops come across very herbal, providing a very good balance. This is a crushable, easy drinking Bock that I personally keep coming back to time after time. I'm also a sucker for Retro style brands. The malt is amber, brown sugar, cinnemon, and maple-leathery....pretty nice.

4.1/5  rDev +34.4%

Nice dark caramel color and nice roasted caramel smell. Not too light or too heavy and the taste is enjoyable and goes down clean. Super drinkable and still a very good beer.

DLR

Comes in a brown colored bock, I have a hard time figuring this style out, there are so many different colors and flavors going on with it, its like a saison, it could mean anything.

A mild brown malt and lager yeast kind of sweetness in the aroma.

Taste is more of that, some light sweet roasted malt. Thin body. Nothing changes as it warms or goes downbottle. Nutty feels. Nothing offensive here.

3.29/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pretty dark red color. Thin head and little to moderate lacing. Smells of toasty nutty caramel. Sweet caramel taste with a touch of nuttiness and hops. Was a little thin and watery. Reminded me that this beer is one step away from AAL macro. Still not a bad beer.

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours brown in color, but transparent and on the thin side of things. It's flavor is simple, caramel malts without much hop bitterness, definitely more on the sweet side of things. It's easy drinking. While this is nearly as readily available as most macros (and nearly the same price), it's a ton more flavorful. It doesn't necessarily stand up very well against nice craft beers, but I'll choose it over a macro every day of the week.

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Solid beer, really more of a lager but doesn't really matter to me. Not the best I've had, but definitely not the worst. I would recommend to anyone thinking of trying it.

2.22/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Pours a clean caramel amber, with off-white suds. No lace.

Aroma: Sweet and malty. Average to undesirable.

Taste: Mild and watery. A little caramelly and a tinge of nuttiness, but really it’s all overpowered by a wallop of sweetness. A slight bitterness to the finish. This seems a far cry from a traditional German bock. Misses the mark and remains average at best.

3.22/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

APPEARANCE: A clear dark caramel in appearance. Finger + of creamy khaki head that slowly settles down to a thin layer. Plenty of bubbles rising. Very minor lacing.
AROMA: A little floral, slight sulfur, bready, husk, a little toffee.
TASTE: Drinking it quite cold. Mostly getting the caramel, and biscuit/bread notes. Slightly different aftertaste but I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of. Mildly funky but not offensive.
FEEL: Nice full carbonation, medium thin body, and a little slick but drying on finish.
OVERALL: Not bad. Slight aftertaste but no big deal. Be good for game night when you want to have a few, relax, and not analyze it.

Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Overall: Enjoyable, but very basic and easy to throw back.
What makes this a Bock?
Maybe an Amber Lager in disguise?

An overly red/brown brew with some sparkly suds.
Light, tangy aroma with faint malt and little else.
Taste is just...light. A light malt taste, very subtle sweetness, barely there bitterness. One-dimensional and thin.
A sparkly, but thin mouthfeel.

1.52/5  rDev -50.2%

OK, if you want a beer really bad, here's a really bad beer. If we are going to consider this to be a Bock, it is a ridiculously inept effort because it has NONE of the attributes of a Bock other than a dark color (which is rumored to be from caramel coloring). Not strong, not malty sweet, not flavorful, not, not, not. It is a watery beer that has a perceived sweetness that I believe is not the result of caramel malts as much as the fact that there are no hops to provide any bitterness. What hops flavor there is is woody and boring. Maybe the weak flavor is a blessing because what flavor there is isn't pleasant, at least to me. Even if we put it in an adjunct category, it would still be bad. Texas is making some great beers these days...too bad so many people think of Shiner and Lone Star when they think of Texas.

3.66/5  rDev +20%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-re-review on 5/1/16 :

This time it's from a sweet looking 16 oz can. Pours caramel colored with hues of brown and dark amber. Head is towering and huge. 4 fingers, popcorn colored, doesn't quit. Nice work.

The aroma is actually very spiced here. I get a touch of coriander and cinnamon along with the basic toasted malts and damp hay. Very damp smelling overall.

Flavor is, in a word, good. It's heavy on the caramel and has a smooth profile with subdued hop character. Some plant going on, and a bit of charred wood, but mostly just a smooth caramel roasty malt flavor. I like.

Feel is creamy and has mild carbonation. Drinkable but a bit of a chore too.

Overall, Shiner Bock has redeemed itself again and my scores are going up accordingly.

(Edit ... re-review, 9/28/14, from same six pack. First overall was 3.16 out of the bottle. This one is poured.)

Brand new beer tonight. Picked up from Wally World. $7.28/6-pack. Lets see if this Bock rocks.

Appearance (3.5) - pours a cranberry/currant red color with an almond colored two finger head. The head disperses pretty quickly and is soon only one finger, and soon after that just a ring. Leaves no lacing on the sides of the glass. The bubbles in the head are not very tightly knit so it's not really a creamy head. It's pretty carbonated.

Smell (3.25) - Caramel, yeast, toasted malts. Lots of toasted and yeast aromas. The bouquet is about medium strength. A faint hop character as well that seems to be appropriately balanced for this style. Out of the bottle it's got a sour funk. Not sure what that's all about.

Taste (3.5) - Toasted grain, malt, a little straw, some toffee notes. Some muted hops appear towards the finish but very balanced and in check. Aftertaste is of malted grains and biscuit.

Mouthfeel (3.25) - Carbonated but subdued. Swishing yields a creamy feel. Finish is semi-dry.

Overall (3.29) - Yeah, I'd buy it again. It's not bad. I always pour my beer into glasses now anyways, and this one tastes much better poured. A decent beer - although not really an appropriate representation of a traditional Bock. Still good, a great lager to have. Try it!

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner