Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Ratings: 4,091 |  Reviews: 1,106
2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

3.17/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear amber color, (thought it would be darker since it's a bock style) with a very small head that dissipates very rapidly. Smells sweat and grainy somewhat like a lager. Taste is refreshing and light, a lot of grain in the flavor with slight sweetness. Mouthfeel is very light almost no bitterness and maybe slightly savory.

Overall, had this on tap at a steakhouse... it was served in a frosted mug from a draft and I was actually blown away by how good it was. Picked up a sixer and the beer is refreshing but just ok. That said I believe this beer is best served very cold. For my next one, I have it in the snowbank and I'm gonna drink it right before it freezes.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

2.74/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a lackluster shade of mahogany that's reminiscent to a glass of birch beer. A thumb-width, bubbly, off-white head sits on top of brew for about 15 - 20 seconds before it completely disappears. There's no cap on top, and no lacing to be found. Keep this away from children because now it honestly just looks like a refreshing glass of birch beer.

S: The aroma is completely clean and even after damn-near dipping the tip of my nose into it, I can't pick up anything. Very faint grains at the most. I'd rate it lower, but I feel those scores are reserved for offensive aromas. And since there's NO aroma at all, I can't really call it offensive.

T: The flavors are clean and refreshing, like you'd expect from a fountain soda. Very light roasted grain flavors with an extremely weak malty backbone. The finish reveals the faintest presence of hop bitterness. Little to no aftertaste.

M: I'm a little surprised in this department, given the fact that there's no aroma and the flavor profile is weak. Shiner Bock offers a medium-light body with a crisp carbonation that isn't too fizzy, allowing for the brew to sport an ever-so-slightly sleek and creamy texture. Honestly a few steps above what I was expecting, and definitely leagues above the mouthfeel of the "big guys."

O: Despite scoring weakly in most categories, Shiner Bock IS, in fact, an okay brew. It's very disappointing considering it sports the "bock" name, but I guess it could hold its own against some American dark lagers. It's definitely light years ahead of most of the BMC offerings. It's not something I'd drink for the pleasure of its consumption, but I wouldn't object to mindlessly pounding down a few pints on Gameday with some friends.

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

4.75/5  rDev +49.4%

2.94/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle poured into tulip glass

Transparent Mahogany ruby brown , slight carbonation visible, scant ring of white bubbles grabbing the edge of the glass

Faint aroma of grains and sweet malt. Not much there.

Taste of grain and maybe adjuncts??? Smooth on the sip, foams on the back of the tongue , whisk of bitterness and smooth, clean finish and aftertaste.

I used to seek out this beer on visits to Texas and loved it. Better in my memory than in in my review

3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Dark color brown.

S: Not much here on the nose but nothing to complain about I guess.

T: Now, I don't dislike shiner, and this review is based purely objectiveness. This isn't bad. It's definitely not amazing, as you'd expect, but not bad at all. It's refreshing, crispy, and it's got a peppery wheat bock taste to it.

M: Light bodied but not super light. Heavier side. Good carb on it as well.

O: Whenever I just want a lighter refreshing beer to drink, I usually go for the lighter lagers. Shiner works for this. It's not my favorite style of lager, but it's not bad at all. It is good for the money. Nice beer overall.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%