Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Ratings: 4,051 |  Reviews: 1,095
3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

2.53/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass - because why not?

A: Pours a crystal-clear chestnut color. The head is barely off-white, and about one fingers high. Retention isn't great, nor does it leave much lacing on the glass. But it is a good-looking lager.

S: Uh oh. This smells like little more than an adjunct lager with a touch of caramel malt. There's way too much corn prevalent on the nose for this to be a good bock.

T: This is better...ish. Corn adjuncts aren't the dominant note here, though I still think they're a bit overpowering. Rather, they're melded together with decent caramel maltiness. On one hand, it's pretty far from great; on the other hand, it exceeded my expectations.

M: Clean and crisp. I think it's a touch too sweet to be superbly drinkable, though. However, I can foresee this being a good lawnmower beer.

O: Eh, I'd put it on par with Yuengling. The problem here, though, is that it's a craft beer that tastes like a macro, which is never good. Additional points taken off for giving me a bit of a headache.

3.32/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: 12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Pours clear with a white head that quickly dissipates- only a few extra splotches of bubbles hanging out on the top of the beer for the rest of the time. Nice color, seems light and inviting.

Smell: Your average 'beer' smell- nothing special, and mostly stereotypical.

Taste: Your average 'beer' taste. Honestly tastes a lot like a PBR. I know this says 'Bock' but I'm not sure what differentiates it taste wise from an adjunct. The light, unadulterated taste is refreshing.

Mouthfeel: I'm not a fan of the carbonation on this one at all. The bubbles feel too big in my mouth, and it feels very highly carbonated. A little less carbonation and it'd be much better. Feels to much like a beer flavored soda at times.

Overall: A good summer beer that is simple and refreshing. A good candidate for a session beer if you don't want to overload your palate with anything intense. A good beer for non-craft drinkers at a party or event to broaden people's horizons.

Hello old friend... how I've missed you!

Looks like you've finally moved up to NYC like all the rest of us schmucks from TX. You're not my oldest friend or my best. But you were always there for me when I needed someone classier than Lone Star to bring to a party. And you always kept me company at Casino el Camino when I needed to grease up my veins with an Amarillo Burger or kick serious butt at pool...

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing you here in the big city... I'm sure glad to see you... but I'm not sure I really want to bring you to any parties.... Maybe we can hang out the next time we're both back in TX?

2.5/5  rDev -18%