Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Ratings: 4,051 |  Reviews: 1,095

2.74/5  rDev -10.2%

This is not the finest or best Bock beer around in my travels. I think Shiners goal here is to produce a sessionable bock beer, which in my opinion is. I have had many of these over the years and come back on occasions. I could easily drink a six pack of these, decent with BBQ meats and beef. Nothing out of the ordinary here but a very light bodied bock, watery to me. Maybe a dark lager to some. Nothing worth seeking out unless you just have to try it.

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

2.5/5  rDev -18%

3.75/5  rDev +23%

3.75/5  rDev +23%

2.75/5  rDev -9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

4.45/5  rDev +45.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice amber color with not a lot of head. Carbonation is not to noticeable to me.

Smell: Caramel malts, not hoppy, a little sweet

Taste: You get the taste of caramel and some other sweetnesses, however its not too much. Not a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: Definitely one that is not swallowed quickly, very enjoyable. Best food pairing I can tell you is Monte Cristo with the raspberry sauce from Bennigans or a Movie Tavern. Gave the sweetest aftertaste on the palate of any beer I ever tried.

Overall: This has been my go-to beer for any occasion. It is very well balanced in my opinion, and is highly recommended tho try on draft as well

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner