Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: German Bock

Tip back a bock. Brewed with rich roasted barley malt and German specialty hops, this lightly hopped American-styled dark lager always goes down easy. Originally a seasonal beer, fans have demanded it year-round since 1973.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,145 | Ratings: 4,292
3.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a lager glass, the appearance was a semi-glossy dark burnt red almost brown color with a light transparency along the edges. Just a finger's worth of white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace to leave some messy lace.
The aroma had some sweet dark bready qualities, dried caramel malts, brisk sweet to roasty nuts and a touch of dried yeastiness. Super light grassy hops shine through some earthiness.
The flavor leaned towards the sweet side initially and then developed decently through all of the previously mentioned aromas sweet to bready to light grassiness and a moderate earthiness. Aftertaste blended all of those flavors together and added in a hint of metallic qualities.
The mouthfeel was almost medium bodied, seeming to sit just a touch under to give way to a pretty good sessionability about it. Carbonation felt a bit under, but didn't bother me. Cloying qualities didn't show as I thought they would. Pretty smooth along my tongue.
Overall, as a bock, I'd say it did the trick for the most part except for that metallic aftertaste, oh nuts, and this could be a great one if Shiner got that out.

3.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not the most fancy of beer nor is it particularly complex, but it's an easily drinkable bock and a nice accompaniment to food. Fairly malty, with perhaps not a great deal of bitterness but other wise an OK drink.

3.51/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This isn't the greatest bock I've ever had, but it is nostalgic and I love it. I used to seem to always have a six pack of Shiner in my fridge when I lived stateside.

2.54/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours an amber/dark brown into a fifteen ounce glass mug the same temperature as the beer. Two finger off white head that settles to a steady rime. Some spotty lacing which I find surprising.

The nose is sweet lightly toasted malt. No hops discernible. Brown sugar. Molasses.

Taste follows the nose with a brown sugar (caramel) flavor with a heavy dose of molasses. No hop bitterness at all. Buttery. Slight carbonation bite.

Medium mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

A poor stab at the bock style. Entirely too sweet and throughly unbalanced. No second try on this one.

3.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Deep red amber color,medium carbonation. I really don't know what to say,it's not awful but has a bland cheap beer taste. I have had some really awful beer and I don't feel comfortable putting this in that league but my suspicion is this won't impress most craft beer enthusiasts.

3.4/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had more Shiner than I care to admit, and it's not bad at all. It's fairly cheap, not too strongly flavored, and a hell of a lot better than some other beer you're gonna get at a dive bar. For what it is, it's awesome. Just don't go into it expecting a complex, flavorful craft beer.

3.04/5  rDev -4.7%

A clear brownish gold. Smells of malt and sweetness. Tastes slightly sweet, with malt, and wheat. Taste follows the nose. Medium body with medium carbonation.

3.66/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I drank this in a 12 oz bottle. I am a Yankee. So, this is new to me. I saw this beer in the excellent movie "hell or high water". Well, this is a discovery and my new hangin out in summer beer. I do not understand the low ratings this beer receives. SO.... Look: Brown, clear, nice. Smell: none bad or good. Taste: light and clean but yeah there is a mild good flavor. Nice aftertaste. No bite. Goes down easy... Feel: pleasant, good for having a few. It's slightly light in a good way. I paid $12 for 12 pack. This beer is the best $1 beer I've had in a long long time. I'll be enjoying this all summer. I enjoy thicker beers, but this belongs in my fridge in summer next to my heffe weisse. Oh, yeah.

3.02/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had straight from the bottle, but have had it on draft as well. A clear brownish color with an ok head and lacing. A malty smell that is not offensive. The taste is slightly sweet with a bit of toast. Tasted was enhanced a bit by the excellent ribs with which it was consumed.

3.56/5  rDev +11.6%

Look - Pours a dark amber color, no head or lacing to speak of.

Aroma - Malty, sugar cookies, burnt toast

Taste - Starts out with a nice toasted malt flavor, reminds me of hard pretzels, light caramel, bit of char, though I'm fairly certain they don't use any roasted barley, cola-like sweetness. It has a nice flavor but it's gone in a flash.

Feel - Light bodied, carbonation is where I'd want it for a beer like this,, not too aggressive, finishes slightly dry.

Overall - On the milder side for a bock but still enjoyable. I bet it'd get more love it were 5.5 or 6%.

3.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad brew, I don't drink bock so I wasn't sure what to expect..

Basically its similar to a mild brown ale with a little of that traditional lager undertones..

Little hint of roasted malts and Carmel sweetness..

Nothing fancy but certainly a easy drinking brew.

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Drank it straight from a bottle. Smell/taste is a little on the sweeter side with some grass and roast notes. Light and dry finish. Overall not a great bock but OK

2.4/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Overall it is about what you'd expect from a lowest common denominator beer. Nothing is explicitly bad or offensive, just flavorless & bland. Just a smidge of caramel malt & lager yeast, but otherwise there isn't anything there.

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

This is a pretty sweet caramel brew. Ruddy brown with off-white bubbly head that settles quickly. Smells of roasted malt and caramel and nutty . Tastes harkens to brown ale almost making this a brown-bock hybrid. Simple flavor profile. Finishes a little slick. Longs for a touch of bitterness.

2.13/5  rDev -33.2%

Shiner Bock isn't a Bock....it's a Vienna style lager. I'm rating this beer as a bock.

If you're expecting a traditional Bock beer, Shiner isn't it. Shiner has little to no maltiness, is approx 2% low on ABV and has a thin body. It's more comparable to Negra Modelo, Great Lakes Eliot Ness or Boston Lager (all three are better than Shiner).

This isn't a bad beer. It's not true to the bock style but, it's also not on my "buy again" list.

3.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Amber/Brown color (looks like strong English tea) , white weak head dissipating v. quickly, no lacing.
S - Light aroma, malty.
T - malty little sweetness, light bitterness not stays to long. I didn't found other tastes.
M - Low carbonation, light body, low level of alcohol in taste.
O - Nice smooth simple beer, clear taste only malt and hoop, little to low carbonation, good example of the style.

3.12/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The first beer I ever did try. Probably should have poured from bottle to glass, but still not too bad.
An amber bock style beer is always gonna be different from a pilsner or any other lager, and this one is no different.
The smell isn't so bad, with a bit of breadiness and alcohol being the most present, and not much of anything else.
It's a bit of an acquired taste with the bitterness being up front, and while it is a bit watery, it got easier to drink as the beer warmed up. Not much in the way of hoppiness, but the breadiness in the smell was present in the flavor.
The feel is a bit thick at first but smooths out towards the finish, which is a bit on the bitter side.
Probably should have started off with a light beer for my first, but I'm glad Im glad I chose this one to have with my pops. Not the best beer I've had, but it'll always be known as my first.

2.84/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was the first Bock that I ever tried. I didn't know what to expect, but it came out quite amazing. I remember on the first sip, there were hints of Budweiser to it. At least that is what it reminded me of, but as I began to just simply drink the beer, and allow it to take over my taste buds...i tasted the differences. It was refreshing, while I wouldn't put it up close to other Bocks I've tried after, it was still refreshing. Nothing too spectacular, but it has good qualities to it that allow it to open you up to other beers.

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shiner Bock, 4.4% ABV, 13 IBU. Pours thin and dark brown, with a one finger off-white head, left no lacing. Nose is malt, taste is malty and sweet, no bitterness. A bit overcarbonated, watery, but still smooth. Overall not bad.

3.14/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle with no date. Pours a reddish brown with a lacing of bubbles. Not much smell at all, a hint of straw. Thin feel with heavy carbonation. Taste is malt with a touch of straw and hops. Mixed feelings about this one. In the glass, it looks great but there's not much going on in the smell or flavor. Malt should be more prominent given the style. It's not bad, just underwhelming. Might be something to order if I'm ever in a macro-heavy bar.

4.2/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Shiner was my go to beer throughout college. It's an outstanding bock and there's a reason it always gets a gold medal in international beer festivals. At the price point, can't go wrong. Just don't let it get too warm.

3.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Initially served from 12 oz bottle into a wine glass in Dallas, later into a snifter at House of Brews (46th St) in NYC. Finally (3/19/2018) decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a conical pint glass; no production information.
A: Pours a clear, dark copper with a three-quarter inch head, solid retention, and no evidence of some decent lacing.
S: Malty nose with iron filings note.
T: Semisweet. Light caramel maltiness offsetting light bitterness. More complex on the third review.
M: Medium bodied with light carbonation.
O: I had this when I was in Dallas and I didn't care for it, but wanted to given it a second try. I was under-impressed by the second go, although now have some doubts about cleanliness of the tap. The bottled (and well refrigerated) final attempt was substantially higher quality and more consistent with a reasonably well made Bock, albeit not a superior one. I can only conclude that this is highly sensitive to transportation and storage. When it requires three attempts to get a drinkable version, that really says something.

4.28/5  rDev +34.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. I picked up a 12 pack for $14 at the liquor store. You get what you pay for though. You definitely want to drink this beer ice cold. The warm it gets it starts to lose its appeal.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I would not call this poor by any means in my opinion. It's smooth and goes down easily. Not a very good but not a poor as I see in some ratings. Okay/pretty good is my score.

2.97/5  rDev -6.9%

Beautiful, clear, highly filtered look. Deep amber - just shy of brown. Thin, quickly-disappating beige head.

Strong nose hits before lifting the glass. Young, grainy malt smell. Hard water, copper, wet slate, rain. I’m excited to taste.

The taste is thinner than the nose had suggested. Heavily carbonated, not much on the tongue, but a perceptible malt character on the aftertaste. Light molasses and brown sugar, balanced more by carbonation than hops. Halfway into the glass, the overwhelming sensation is carbonation rather than flavor.

My impression is that they’ve selected malts which did a great job of creating a beautifully colored darkish beer, but if I closed my eyes I would not think this is a bock. American Amber Lager, perhaps. I worry that it would be syrupy and unpleasant if left to warm and flatten - like the carbonation and refrigeration are masking a fundamentally unbalanced brew.

Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner