Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,062 | Ratings: 3,890
3.35/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I've had at least 6 of their offerings including the Bock, but this is my first BA review.

In my lifetime (and I'm now eligible for Social Security), I never thought I would come to the defense of anything from Texas (except maybe LBJ, who historians treat almost as a scoundrel.)

So here I am defending a Bock that has a 71 rating.
This beer is far more flavorful than that. Its subtle blend of malts is atypical brewers from warm climes who tend to use more quenching hops.

And if this beer still is not to your taste, consider that this is one of the biggest sellers of the 5th largest craft brewer in the country.

On the other hand the 71 may have a point: MJ's 1999 edition gave this 1.5 stars of 4.
Roger Probst selected Shiner Bock as among the "300 More Beers To Try Before You Die."
So, you decide.

4.19/5  rDev +37.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Don't know why it isn't rated higher. And fits the profile for a Bock, though called different things, in the various BJCP style guidelines. Mine, draft, in chilled mug from a keg. Nice dark amber color, mild malt smell, low hopping but with slight German hop flavor, no alcohol taste, a bit of lacing but holds the light brownish head throughout my drinking it. Nice mouth feel, moderately malty, with a little sweetness, very enjoyable. More an American lager than a German one, tho'. Better than I remember it from the old days. Helps me look forward to Spring.

3.04/5  rDev 0%

The beer comes in a deep amber color, clear.

The flavor hits of low malty sweetness, with hints of floral and spicy hops, with corn, biscuity and caramel malt flavor, driving the beer with a light hop finish and a dry finish. A beer light on flavor, but leaning on the malts.

3.24/5  rDev +6.6%

Look: Clear, bubbly reddish brown with thin eggshell white head that leaves rings of lacing.

Smell: Sweet grains, canned corn, caramel, toast, and grass.

Taste: Caramel, roasted corn, toast, grains, and grass; and a crisp, clean, lager finish.

Feel: Fizzy, chuggable, filling mouthfeel, crisp and clean.

Overall: A decent everyday chugging lager. Very comparable to Yuengling of the East. A nice beer for a warm evening or drinking in mass quantities.

4.6/5  rDev +51.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Some may criticize this beer for not being a true "bock." But I don't care about that. I know what this beer is and what it is supposed to be: and easy drinking darker lager with a solid amount of malts, but not too much, a beer that can be liked by damn near anyone. I love the dark reddish brown tint. The off-white head. The lacing on the glass. The way I can drink it out of a glass with a steak and potato, or out of the bottle with some buds and some burgers. I love this beer. It may not be a perfect in every or any aspect, but damnit it is a perfect beer because of the many ways it is drinkable. I can drink it while mowing, while working on the truck/car, after a long ride, after a long day at work, with lunch or dinner (hell, breakfast), while grilling, while watching a game or race. Out of the bottle is my preferred way to drink this beer (like most), but I do use glass on the occasion. Overall, one of my favorites.

3.21/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shiner Bock.

This is one of those beers I've seen a thousand times but never bought because it simply didn't appear to me. Today, I saw one of these sitting on a gas station counter for a mere 89 cents and decided I needed to rid myself of some excess ones before getting paid tonight anyway. So yeah, here we go.

Look - From the twist off twelve ounce bottle hard poured into a pint glass. Brew was actually fairly attractive at first. Displaying a deep though crystal clear amber body with a two finger bubbly deep off white head sitting amongst the top. But the head was gone in q matter of ten seconds leaving a few islands to float amongst the top along side a thin bubbly ring on the outskirts. Carbonation appears to be quite high. No lacing or stick amongst a finished glass.

Smell - The nose is quite small. A noticeable nuttiness with some apparent cheaper adjunct levels and that's pretty much the whole show here. Since I didn't expect much, and since it isn't offensive I shall give this category a 3.

Taste - Alright. This is the part where I stop rating this as just a Bock and start rating it as something adjunct filled as well. Due to this beers identity crisis, the numbers may be a but skewed but my final overall opinion should bring it all together. There is a small bit of that nutty flavor I mentioned along side a fair amount of caramel malts but it keeps a very apparent adjunct presence though the aforementioned flavors keep it from becoming corny in the least.

Feel - The body is actually moderate with a boat load of carbonation. You can somewhat tell this is a darker beer as it sits in the mouth but the corn it was able to defeat prior to this becomes present though it is still mostly blocked out by the other flavors. Swallows easily.

Overall - It's hard to really rate a beer like this. If you're rating it as a bock, it isn't very good. But if you're rating it as something a bit more regular and found in every tall boy cooler across America, it is pretty good. Can this stuff, go down on the price a bit,and you've got yourself a winner amongst frat boys everywhere. This is not an offensive beer in the least. If you guys made this about $6 and some change a sixer I might even buy it for drunken occasions with friends.

2.51/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Pours a cola brown, super carbonated, very little head.
Smells of caramel, metal, and sweet malt.
Tastes of bread followed by earthy hops, weird.
Mouthfeel I nonexistent, poor for the style.
Overall, can't see what some people see in this beer.

1.84/5  rDev -39.5%

Picked up a single at my local Meijer, was something new and I like trying new.
Poured it into a beer glass, poured with little to no foam head and no lacing to speak of. Dark brown, almost caramel color, a little darker. Looks good.
Smell: Water, mild malt.
Taste: Water and weak almost undetectable hop flavor. Roasted malty flavor, but still watery.
Feels like water, very mild carbonation, very smooth.
Overall, I wasn't sure what to expect but I was disappointed, it's just too watery for me and not enough distinct flavors.

3.06/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

From the bottle, it pours a moderately dark amber with a light head, dissipating quickly. A bit of sweetish malt in the nose, followed by a bit of sweetish malt in the mouth. Light body. Should be excellent on a hot day in Texas.

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle into a helles lager glass

A - Beer pours a very thin foamy head that is white in color before very suddenly disappearing very quickly after making itself known. Slight foaminess left around one half of the edge of the glass. Beer is clear and a rich amber in color with very light carbonation based on the visibly small amount of bubbles rising slowly towards the surface. 3/5

S - A deep, dark caramel hits the nose straight away along with Grape Nut O's cereal, an herbal hop profile, and a dark toasted bread note. Very malty and sweet aroma overall. 3.5/5

T - Sweet caramelized sugar and Grape Nut O's cereal are the two most dominant notes throughout the flavor profile. This is not a sweet maltiness like an Oktoberfest. This sweetness is more sugary in nature. Herbal hops come in after the Grape Nut O's cereal note but there is not a ton of bitterness to them. Lingering hop bitterness on the finish of the beer despite there not being much bitterness to the beer prior to that point. Green apple tartness on the very end. 3.25/5

M - Carbonation tickle throughout. Light bodied beer that wets the entire tongue nicely and leaves it thusly. Ever so slight drying on the back end of the beer. Somewhat watery. 3.25/5

O - Much more flavorful than most macro breweries' offerings but not as flavorful as most craft brews. Goes down very easily and lightly. Balanced between sweet and bitter in terms of the overall picture but these two flavors are not really fit together, they are more separate pieces to the puzzle that stay separated. 3.25/5

1.99/5  rDev -34.5%

Deep amber red/brown with small white head, a little lacing left behind. Very light nose of vanilla, sweet caramel malt. Pretty much a macro beer taste; with a little vanilla thrown in. Light body, high on carbonation.

2.92/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours to a reddish amber appearance with a one finger head that makes a crackling noise as quickly recedes. Smells of sweet cherry infused crackers. Taste is rather bland with some sweet malt and just a hint of prickly hops on the mid-palate. Feel is light to medium bodied with barely adequate carbonation. Nothing to write home about here - received a six pack as a house warming gift around Christmas - glad I didn't waste my money on this stuff.

2.69/5  rDev -11.5%

I think this beer will taste better in Texas but not here in Washington DC and I also overpaid for it at $11.99 a 6 pack. I poured it on a mason jar and drank of them, tasted it like a cheap version of Newcastle. Never again unless I'm in Texas or it's free. I will use the rest for cooking or if I run out of the good stuff.

3.44/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For me, some beers are all about time and place. Shiner Bock takes me back to some of my favourite travel memories - Austin, Houston, Galveston, BBQ, and everything that is "Big". Hook 'em horns, hammer a Shiner, and appreciate everything the Lone Star state has to offer.

3.15/5  rDev +3.6%

I've had hundreds of these. People knew I liked it. At the hunting ranch we like to visit they stocked up on Shiner Bock when I was coming. Shiner Bock was like an entry craft beer for me. However, as I started drinking craft beer and getting used to more flavorful beers I started viewing Shiner Bock as somewhat bland and watery. I can no longer say this is the best beer in the world. However, it is a pretty good step in between bland mass produced pale lagers and high quality craft beer

It does have some notes of tosty malts and caramel and a light pleasant aroma. It is not tasteless yet very easy drinking for bland beer lovers, and it is definitely better than Bud Lite.

2.75/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bock is a generous term for this brew, which is deep caramel in color and taste. Sweet, one-note, a little watery and undercarb'd. Spoetzl is all over the place -- some pretty solid German stuff, some unique twists, and then some stinkers. This falls closer to the latter.

I quickly realized on a business trip to Fort Worth, Texas, back in 2011 (?) that Shiner Bock is very common in those parts. Although up north in NY I had never seen it not until recently that is...within the past year, I started noticing it at bars and distributors. I had it every where in Texas from the hotel bar, to the bbq joints, to the ranch. And, I loved every bit of it. I think drinking it outside is numero uno. That beer is meant to be drank in big open spaces. Preferably in a big field...overlooking some gorgeous scenery...smelling fresh air...and hearing nothing. It's a solid beer. Some people call it a good Budweiser, but I don't care. I like it. I never poured it, so I can only attest to bottle taste, but it's damn good in my opinion. Refreshing, crisp, clean, bockiness. It's nothing fancy. Just a good choice when there isn't anything you fancy on the menu.

3.47/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Much more of a basic and bland beer than what my pre-craft days would have me believe. Relatively flat carbonation and flavor, but there's a little bit of malt to stand out.

3.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Clear, deep burnt copper, like a sherry or similar dark brown spirit. Head is a dull tan, fluffy yet fizzy, small, film-forming, lower middle retention. Smells like assorted berries, good but not strong enough. The palate is kind of a let-down, both in taste and feel. Not much besides nutty, toasty grain at first, and weak at that. Develops into more of a caramel and dark fruit, but again, it doesn't really stand out. Too watered down. Very low dull bitterness, even for mass-produced hyper-drinkable standard lager fare. Quite light, but at least loaded with gulpable suds, but really not much else to offer in terms of body. Overall, a disappointment, yes, but nothing to sneeze at. Won't seek it out, but will certainly drink it when it comes in Shiner's mixed six-pack that I usually find this beer in.

3.59/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle into pint glass
L- dark brown, clear, white head which dissipates no lacing
S- sweet caramel malts, some bitterness
T- has a toasty malty taste not much else but has a smooth nice taste
F- light bodied but has a nice crisp mouthfeel very drinkable
O- while not the most flavorful beer has a decent flavor and is very smooth and drinkable, an enjoyable brew

Pours a nice redish amber color with a quickly disappearing head with a faint smell of malt and honey. Tastes sweet and malty. Thin feel with medium carbonation.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a pilsener glass.
The appearance was a slim ruddy almost transparent brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated pretty quickly. Lacing seemed to be fairly stringy and slightly messy.
The smell started off with some burnt bready to cake-like malts. Some toffee and coffee flavors enter in slightly.
The taste was a light sweet breadiness with some caramel and toffee sweetness. There's a lingering bready sweet to slightly open dark fruity aftertaste and running into the finish.
The mouthfeel was about a light on the body with a more than expected yet nice sessionability about this one. I'm wondering because of the ABV if that's why this one comes across the way it does in the feel.
Overall, for a bock, there doesn't seem enough oomph in the ABV. With that in mind, is this a "session bock?" If there is such thing...wondering, hmm...

2.34/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Disappointed after hearing a lot about this beer. And it’s classified as a Vienna (RateBeer), and not a bock. Pours medium brown with immediate head that fades to nothing. Aroma is extremely light, cola, malt, brown bread. Taste is also light (and mouthfeel watery), tastes like a watered down Newcastle. Not impressed.

3.91/5  rDev +28.6%

my favorite shiner beer so far besides maybe their oktoberfest. This is a really solid beer that you can't go wrong with, great out of the bottle and great on tap.

4.42/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This is my go-to beer when back in Texas. It was my father's beer and that definitely influenced my choice also. I love the taste and the appearance. It's a darker lager-style beer (not a true German-style bock), and has a great finish. I like that it is becoming more widely known outside of Texas.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner