Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

A - Small head that is really effervescent and dissipates within seconds. Not what I expected. Really light-bodied with an amber-brown hue. Steady carbonation bubbling up from the bottom. 2.5

S - Malty, hoppy smell with an almost overpowering grainy, bready undercurrent. Also a soapy smell somewhere in there that reminds me of some adjunct lagers...which is weird. 2.5

T - Hrmm. Not quite what I remembered Shiner Bock tasting like. I thought it was a good beer a long time ago but after having it again now...I'm not very impressed. Strongly carbonated, sour flavor followed by the teensiest hint of malt on the middle of the tongue, followed by a metallic hop aftertaste. It goes down easy and is sort of enjoyable, but really not flavorful enough and has an odd aftertaste. 2.0

M - Very carbonated and light-bodied. Easily drinkable. Not sure if this is part of the style but it isn't a bad thing. 3.0

O - Shiner Bock seems to me like a decent session beer (though I still think Full Sail's Session series is a far better choice), but I would leave the compliments at that. I suppose the only reason I'm so harsh on Shiner is that I remembered this beer tasting good once, and now I'm left with this sort of Bock-adjunct hybrid that makes my tongue shrivel. I hope this is just a bad batch and that the next time I try this beer it performs a little better. 2.0

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%