Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,060 | Ratings: 3,865
3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

I tried this at a restaurant in Arizona just out of curiosity. The smell was not to strong. The taste was smooth and had no bitterness to it which was surprising considering the color.You could probably drink this beer all day when working in the yard or something if you like a dark beer that isnt too strong.

3.14/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A hard pour forced a bit of head onto the beer but it dissipated almost immediately into nothing. Lacing is nearly nonexistent although the nice, deep brown/red body saves the appearance somewhat.

Mild malt sweetness gets lost in the cereal aromas (wheat chaff). Still, nothing bad going on here per se.

Hard to see where this is a bock. Essentially no malt sweetness until a final wisp at the conclusion and the overall taste is rather flat. The predominant flavor is akin to a macro-lager without any of the negative lowlights and a slightly pleasant caramel hint on the back end. Totally inoffensive yet almost as uninteresting.

Mouthfeel is good and thick up front but succumbs to a fizzy/watery ending.

For all its deficiencies, this is a drinkable brew and is the most widely available non-swill in Texas. When I visit the in-laws in East TX this is what I retreat to. It reminds me of a Southern Leinie's and strikes me as something I'd have drunk as a stepping-stone brew if I'd grown up in, let's say, Ft. Worth. Or on second thought, let's not say that.

3.31/5  rDev +8.9%

This is my first review, so I decided to do an easy one.

Appearance- clear, dark amber. The head was unimpressive and dissipated quickly with no lacing.

Smell- very sweet and malty, no trace of hops at all.

Taste- same as the smell, sweet and malty with virtually no hop presence to speak of.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, moderate carbonation that balances the sweetness to some degree. A little bit of a sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- A good session beer if you don't mind the sweetness.

Notes: This beer has an almost cult-like following here in Texas, though I'm not really sure why. It's not a bad beer, but it's certainly not a great one either. If you're ever in Texas, I'd recommend trying it just so you can see what all the hype's about. I guess my biggest beef with it is the label. It's not a bock beer by any standard. I'd call it a Vienna lager.

2.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a crisp amber with a decent head that quickly diminished to a ring. The aroma was dominated by caramel malts, but not much else, overall rather weak. The beer was very malts, but overall rather on the bland/off side. The beer is very light and crisp but somewhat overly carbonated. I find it somewhat hard to believe that this is advertised as microbrew. It really has a big brewery feel and would likely only be truly enjoyed by fans of that beer. Give me a Spaten Bock over this stuff any day.

2.71/5  rDev -10.9%

On tap at Waxy O'Conner's in San Antonio. I've heard about it and I couldn't resist trying it on a recent business trip.

A decent looking dark amber color with a light tan head that did not linger long.

Not much in the nose. Taste is slightly sweet with minimal maltiness to it. No hop presence to speak of. Definitely more flavor than the other Texas lager I tried, but nothing overwhelming. The mouthfeel was decent, and I could drink a bunch of these in a night if nothing else was available.

Try it if you get the chance, and then move on to something else.

3.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I liked the light taste of this beer without it tasting like your avareage lager. It was smooth and refreshing while not being too sweet. Another beer that I wish that I could get here in Buffalo. It is a nice beer to have in the Fridge to offer friends that aren't adventurous when it comes to trying new beers.

2.34/5  rDev -23%

Wanted to like this but to me it was just an OK beer like Yuengling.

Appearance: Looks interesting, like a beer should. Nice label.
Smell: Don't know the technical term, but it smells like cheap beer, uugghh
Taste: Weak, watery, slight malt/ sweet taste.
Mouthfeel: Non-existant.

Was this a good beer that was dumbed down. I hope so (actually hope not).

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On special at a Tex-Mex place in Austin. The beer is dark brown with some amber overtones. There's not much in the way of smell, but what's there is the smell of dark malts, maybe some wheat. The flavor is slight, nowhere near as pronounced as that of bocks in Germany. I've described this to friends as "an American macro lager with food coloring in it." There's maybe a little more bitterness and malt flavor than Budweiser, but it's not incredibly complex or anything. Still, it has a nice, creamy mouthfeel and very good drinkability. It lacks the offensive aftertaste of the Shiner Hefeweizen. This would be an inexpensive bock I would keep in my fridge for spring consumption.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

again, one of the first beers i ever tryed in the good ole united states, and living in texas at the time..it's basically everywhere..and when you find a good establishment with good turnover , it really can be good..."This beautiful brown brew with its sweet smell and delicious taste that is slighty bitter but sweet with a brilliant after taste that rivals other American beers of the same style!"

3.11/5  rDev +2.3%

I was surprised to see this at my local corner bar about 2 weeks ago. I used to drink it while stationed in San Antonio. It's not a common beer here in PA. It was an accident at first, but now they carry it regularly. I just grabbed a six pack on the way home from work tonight.

Poured from a longneck bottle into a pint glass, it is crystal clear and dark amber in color. There's a full 2 fingers of parchment colored head that disapated rather quickly leaving a little lace and a few spots down the glass.

Not much of an aroma to speak of. Just smells like beer.

Taste is rich, full of roasted malt, a little metalic and slight hint of fruity/ester. Finishes pretty clean with just a passing thought of hops.

I had no problem downing 4 or 5 Shiners over the course of 2 hours at the bar last saturday. It's a good beer to drink with friends while thowing darts, shooting pool, or what have you. Almost everyone I've introduced it to has enjoyed it.

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

Surprised to find out I enjoyed this beer more in a bottle than on tap. Had trouble finishing the one I had with dinner. Appearence was dark amber with one finger of head which disappeared to quickly, almost no smell and flavor was not as good as the bottle I had the prior evening.

4.05/5  rDev +33.2%

Poured into a pint glass, the bock appears somewhat lighter than others I've tried but still has a decent, medium-brown hue. The head is a little on the thin side, however the stout I've been drinking lately might have skewed my view. The aroma is probably the beer's best feature - warm and fruity with just a hint of spice. Flavor wise the beer comes up a little short; it has many of the subtle fruity characteristics of a bock, but it seems a little on the thin side. Overall, not a bad beer, and at the very reasonable price I'm sure I'll buy it again.

2.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Eye: Reddish brown in appearance and very clear. Head retention isn't all that great-recedes to a blanket over the top, and lacing is also lacking.

Nose: Strong sweet smell in this brew. At first I couldn't put a finger on what the sweet aroma reminded me of, then "alas!" it came to me. The strong sweet aroma reminds me somewhat of pecan pie. There are plenty of strong dark malt aromas as well as some caramel aroma in here.

Tongue: Seems to be somewhat lacking in flavor. I can taste a small amount of malt sweetness but it doesn't seem to be much more than that. Much more watered down than I expected. I'll come back to this one. Could be because I just washed my glass and used a fair amount of soap, but I don't think thats the case I rinsed it very well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with a bit of wateriness, and in my opinion there is just a bit too much carbonation. Not tough beer to drink, but I think that there have to be much better ones out there that do a better job of summing up the style. We'll see how the rest of the sixer fares.

3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

I picked up a six-pack of Shiner Bock to celebrate the coming of spring. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a mahogany brown color and is clear. A creamy eggshell white head forms and is moderately resilient, lacing the sides of the glass a bit.

The smell is strong and floral. There are perfume scents and a bit of a sweet dairy aroma.

The taste is OK. It has an odd sweetness, like milk or cream, that seems to be a characteristic of the style. There is a bit of a plain malt flavor, some cereal, and a very light hop finish.

Mouth feel is smooth and clean.

Drinkability is average. I'm not much on the style, or the taste. If you like a bock this is probably an OK choice.

From Safeway in Eureka, CA on sale at $6.29 a six-pack. This poured an amber to brown color with light tan head and almost no lacing. Nose was sweet malts. Mouthfeel average. Flavor very bland and finish non-descript. While this may be the best thing to come out of Texas it is not very impressive. This one is dead average for its type.

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

Aroma: Slight DMS aroma up front (cooked corn). Light carmel notes and some grainy malt on the nose. DMS clears as the beer warms up. No hop aroma detectable.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper colored pour with golden edging. Streams of carbonation through the body. A white head that doesn't retain very long.

Flavor: Bready and grainy malt notes. No hop flavor but the bitterness balances out the grainy sweet notes. No off flavors detected. Slight carmel notes as the beer warms up. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and lively carbonation. No astringency with a dry finish. No alcohol warmth but the biting carbonation definitely beats down some of the flavor.

Overall impression: A lightly malty, slightly grainy, well balanced beer. No off flavors and seems like a fresh sample. Not sure this is truly a "bock" other than the fact that it's probably a lager yeast strain. Tastes like a macro lager with some carmel flavoring. Still, it's highly sessionable and pretty good once the DMS clears out. Worth a try I suppose.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

Picked this up in Maryland a few months back, since I can't find this in my beloved Garden State. A few friends of mine from college loved this beer and said it went down easy. I'll give 'em that, but unfortunately, there wasn't much else to this besides that.

The pour was pretty unmemorable. Not a lot of head, no lacing, and the color was a standard nut brown. Malt, malt, and more malt can be found in the taste, from start to finish. It was watered down and I sense a slight amount of roasting up front, but nothing else that lingered long. I was hoping for some nut flavors or an earthy or grainy undertone to this, but they just couldn't be found.

I can't imagine anybody not liking this beer, as it has more to offer than any BMC product would. That being said, this would be a decent session beer for this time of the year, when the heavier stouts and winter brews start to give way to hefe's and belgian ales. This is a good transitional beer for that time period or something to enjoy for a relaxed night out, but not suited for much else.

3.86/5  rDev +27%

This is the beer that I first experienced after becoming of legal age. Before that, it was always my dads Bud Light. Therefore, this review may be a little biased. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a deep copper, forming a nice fluffy 1 inch head, leaving medium rings of lace on the glass. The aroma appears to be mostly of malt, maybe a little grain, and a slight bit of hops. The taste is light malts, and a hint of hops, with a light caramle aftertaste. Not a heavy beer, but still no shortness of flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation, and a smooth finish. This is easily a beer to session. Whether sitting at home, or in a tube on the river, this is a great beer wherever you go.

2.8/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a light brown/amber with a 1" head with little lacing. Aroma is fairly clean with malts and a light caramel. It has a decent taste with a mediocre mouthfeel. The flavor is clean with hints of the caramel/toffee taste while it stings slightly in the mouth -- too thin and carbonated.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

Paid 6.69 for a 6-pack. Mahogany/cherry wood color, dark orange brown with hints of cherry red. Nice color. Not much head or lacing to speak of. Smell is light malt, honey, dust, some cherry fruit. No hops. Taste is weak. Watery, low malt presence, some metal, almost refined sugar taste. Slight fruitiness. That said, it finishes very clean and could be quite refreshing in summer. Mouthfeel is very fizzy with heavy open bubbles. Drinkability is higher due to the ease of drinking this beer.

2.71/5  rDev -10.9%

Unlike Phatz, I had higher expectations due to hype. Yea, I got sucked in, so I simply had to buy a bottle from Suds and Six packs.
12 oz. bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Nice dark bronze color, but no head and absolutely no lacing. High carbonation bubbles. Thin and clear.

S: Weak malt, corn, metal. Not good.

T: Not horrible, but not near good. Sweet malt. Heavy metal. Not much going on. Better than Michelob Amber.

M: Thin and watery, with a carbonated sting.

D: Whatever...easy come, easy go. Not that bad, but nothing I would ever seek out. If I'm ever in Austin, and my choices are BMC ot this, I would be fine with this.

I was really let down by this beer. It is nowhere as good as Penn St. Nick bock. I know that is a really good beer to live up to, but it really fell short. It was better than Michelob Bock, though.

2.66/5  rDev -12.5%

on tap at the Freakin' Frog (Las Vegas,NV)

A- 1" thin milky white head with good retent, settles to ring, thin lacing, light copper in color

S- malty and fruity sweet

T- all malt sweetness, very fruity (cherries, apple, figs), with just a touch of bitterness and toasted malt in finish

M- light and thin, but not watery, smooth, nice carbonation

D- i had a hard time drinking this, if you can make it through the initial sweet rush, then you get a glance at some decent flavor. not my thing, but recommend for macro drinkers who fear darker beer.

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

This famous bock deserved a try but I did have low expectations. To my surprise, Shiner Bock was not as appalling as I expected. No surprise it lacked flare or excitement but a tolerable boring beer.

Appearance: Pours a clear bronze brown color with a small quick fading head and little notable lacing. It does have a constant flow of carbonation bubble rising through the body of the beer.

Smell: Bad. I did not like the smell. I was prepared for the worst when it got to the taste but it does taste better than it smells. It is a grainy corn husk aroma followed by the artificial sweetener and dextrinous malt attribute and some metallic character. Not really enjoyable.

Taste: The taste was a relief after smelling this thing. It was not terrible. It is a step up from Michelob Amber Bock if that is saying any thing, but does not even reach the level of flavor Saranac has. To put into perspective the mundaneness. It is a toasted grain flavor with a drop of caramel and a metallic prod to the back teeth (like when you bite a fork). Not offensive.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy an thin in the mouth. Extremely light body.

Drinkability: The beer it not all that tasty but it is not offensive either. It is light. Once you get used to the metallic attribute it actually becomes quite drinkable. Though I won't buy it again while I have other options.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

2.46/5  rDev -19.1%

This beer was totally non-impressive. Poured very thin, to a pale amber color, with little head or lacing. I could not detect any aroma, and the taste, whatever was there, was not evident due to the watery texture and stale finish. I’d heard this was a good beer...obviously I was listening to the wrong people.

2.51/5  rDev -17.4%

Most Austinites love Shiner Bock...I do not.

But you just can't help but drink it down here unless you are obsessed about avoiding it. The problem is, it's as "exotic" as many restaurants get down here with beer...and if you want a beer with your food...and you don't want a Budweiser...then you're left with Shiner Bock as you're only alternative to water or Bud-Lite (another term for water).

So Shiner is light brown in color, has virtually no sustained head, and little aroma (though it creates quite a stench rotting outside the many fraternities near the University). Not much of a mouthfeel because of the weak taste.

This was a beer created to be something "exotic" in during an era of ignorance in Texas. But times have changed and I believe the only reason it's still popular is the same reason Bush was re-elected and Texas votes Republican. But I take no responsibility for that.

I'll drink it again...I live in Texas...and let's face it, it's just an average beer...it won't kill you.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner