Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Bock | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Ratings: 4,091 |  Reviews: 1,106
3.45/5  rDev +8.5%

Head sticks around a little longer than the bottled version. Body is clear medium orange-brown. Aroma is lightly malty (toasted light bread, caramel), with a light fruity smell. Flavor is a lightly sweet, acidic, bitter combo. Finish is nice. Light to medium body, watery texture, with lively carbonation.

2.69/5  rDev -15.4%

Well, the first time I tangled with Shiner was back in Costa Mesa last summer and we had a pretty hot waitress from Texas. I asked what I should order a yard of because I wanted to experience drinking out a vessel that stood three feet tall. Boy I am glad I ordered then what a great beer to drink from a yard not to full bodied or flavored just enough of everything to be enjoyed in that style of drinking beer. Now here I am back home and sitting here noting the visual aspects of this beer it pours amber ruby with an off white cream colored head about two fingers worth and quickly dwindles down to a thin collar of lace only to leave scattered lacing with each sip. Aromatics on this beer are well a little faint with a slight caramel malt tone but no real hop aroma to be found. Taste is creamy buttered caramel malts with faint hop bitterness in the background to balance out the sweetness and touches of dark roasts add to the experience. Mediocre at best with a thin body artificial carbonation, not much of anything special going on. Drinkability is good due to the fact that I can consume alot of this even a yard glass of this, however it's not a quality brew that I would buy religiously.

2.98/5  rDev -6.3%

Clearish coppery brown with small top of ivory colored foam that doesn't last, lace in minimal spotty fashion. Smell is mostly caramel with a bit of molasses, soft & plain malty nose thats fair but not moderate. Taste is a thinnish caramel malt with a toffee or molasses hinting in some bigger sips, but it really lacks a good flavor punch. Its just enough to take notice but not enough to enjoy really, kinda bland for a bock. Feel is a diluted mess thats a bit watered down and thin for a bock as well. Not much to it. Pass-a-bal!

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reddish and auburn color. Medium head. Has a very light and crisp taste. An excellent overall flavor. Just a hint of hops. Leaves a ver pleasing aftertaste. Excellent drinkable beer. It’s overall light and easy to drink. But has the body that tells you this is a beer with care and meant to be enjoyed. A very good session beer.

3.19/5  rDev +0.3%

Clear dark amber color. Poured a 1" head which quickly dissapated leaving minimal patchy lacing. Constant strings of bubbles raise to the surface.

Not much smell. Vaguely malty and little to no hops.

Taste was virtually all malt with a touch of hops at the end. Not sweet, not bitter.

Carbonation stands out and makes the beer refreshing. Not the heavy feel one might expect. A nice brew to relax with on a summer evening

1.98/5  rDev -37.7%

Clear dull and dark amber. Foamy pale yellow head vanishes quickly.
Husky nose with little evident maltiness, sweet or otherwise. Suggestions of stewed veggies is not a plus either.
Taste is more of the husk, less of the malt, and pretty much part and parcel of what one would expect from a macro lager. I could tolerate it if it was marketed as such, but slapping "bock" on a thin, malt-less brew is unacceptable.
Back to the actual taste: More veggies appear towards the back of the mouth, although they're pretty faint. Some heavily diluted caramel (maybe?). No hops.
Thin and absolutely lifeless in the mouth.
Not a fan, at all.

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

What a letdown. I had this with some broiled salmon and shrimp...the food was fabulous, but the beer was a complete bust.
Pours a dark-golden color with moderate carbonation and a thin, fizzy head. Slightly hoppy aroma, but nothing even close to the malty, doughy smell that a true bock would have. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Decent hop finish, but nothing outstanding. I'll steer clear of this one in the future.

2.27/5  rDev -28.6%

Pretty bad. It pours reddish-brown, with next to no head, no lace and no collar. It smells like caramel, and sits heavy-sweet in the mouth. The taste is caramel and sugar. I couldn't find any hops. Saying it tastes like Coke would be doing Coke a disservice.

2.33/5  rDev -26.7%

Clear light brown. Tight white 3/4 inch head dissipates somewhat slowly to a very barely there, but complete cap.

Nose is brown bread, with a bit of supporting chalky minerality, and a hint of spicy hops. A bit sweet and simple.

Quite thin on the palate with the malt nowhere near as dominating as the nose would indicate. Unfortunately, there is nothing to take the malt's place. The finish is short and watery.

3.4/5  rDev +6.9%

Here in Texas, Shiner Bock is an institution. Folks who would never think of drinking a fancy shmancy German beer have no problem cracking open a "bock" because this beer is made in Texas. Well, I ain't from Texas and this ain't no bock.

Shiner pours a nice dark brown with a minimal off-white head. At first glance, this does not look like your run-of-the-mill ordinary macro, which this isn't...Shiner is a run-of-the-mill ordinary regional.

The aroma is very faint, not befitting a German clone. What I can detect is malty. How's that for vague?

The taste is quite disappointing. As a bock this is extremely light. The maltiness is dominant here, a sweetness that lasts to the end. As the sweetness fades a very slight hoppiness appears for an instant. Then it's over.

Shiner is not the Godly nectar folks 'round these parts swear it is. However, it is quite a refreshing beer, good for a hot day and a dry mouth.

2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

Caramel colored brown. Thin beige head. Aroma consists of roasted malt, molasses and caramel. Taste is bland and flavorless. A little carmel characteristic. A little molasses. Thin mouthfeel. Subpar bock.

Thanks for introducing me to a Texas Style bock Senior Shit.

2.38/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ordinarily I'm a fan of Bock beers. It's one of the few lager styles that I can tolerate. This stuff, however, ought to be called bock lite or something like that because there's not much to it. Dark amber in color with a thin head. Slighly malty in the nose and even less so in taste. Very, very bland. This was the best available choice in the U.S. Airways terminal at Bush International. I should have had a bottle of water.

2.68/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this one on tap while in Beaumont, TX. The color is a dark brown. The head had large bubbles that quickly vanished. Virtually no lace. The smell was of faint roasted malt, esters & alcohol.

The taste was mildly disappointing. Some malt, but beer appeared to be out of balance for a bock. Had some cloying sweetness, but not the sweetness that I expect from this style. Could have used a little more carbonation. The mouthfeel was also thin.

Beer was passable with the fresh oysters I was eating, but not good enough to order a second.

1.61/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'll start by saying that I think the keg of this stuff was about 994 years old. It was a cloudy brown color, and the smell that spewed forth from this stuff was atrocious. Like a malty skunk. The taste was even worse. At first it seemed like it might have a rather pleasant maltiness to it. Then the overpowering bitterness took over, and I cringed, as did everyone else drinking it. People were actually flocking to the Coors Light. Wow. That's saying something right there. Again, it was probably skunked and I would like to try it fresh. Thank God it was free.

3.33/5  rDev +4.7%

Shiner Bock is a good all-around 'drinking' beer. It's also an excellent introduction to crafted brews for squeemish Miller Lite drinkers -- although I would not rate this beer with the likes of Anchor or Shipyard brews.

The smell was somewhat malty, nothing to write home about. It pours a deep amber (the few times I've bothered pouring it), with not much head to speak of. The taste is slightly malty at first, with a clean finish. Perhaps some fruity undertones, but nothing pronounced.

Although I rate this beer below some of my favorites, it has a place at my summer barbecues, while I tend to the pit. It's also the one I serve to guests who ask for MGD or Miller Lite.

3.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance = dark lager, light cola color with a medium white head. Medium carbonation, a glass of this beer looks very inviting.

Smell = fruity, lite hops (if any)

Taste = medium sweetness and light to medium hops. While a pretty good brew it's not really everything that I like in a bock. And not as much flavor as it looks like there should be. Crisp enough, clean mouthfeel, just 'less of it' there than I really want.

It's like they stop the brewing process too soon or something, just not delivering everything that the appearance promises. In Texas this beer is on tap everywhere, and I've grown used to it over the years. I just wish it was 20% better than it really is, since it looks 100% tasty but only delivers ~ 80% of the taste I expect. What's really weird, is every time I drink it, I'm a little disappointed, every time. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. A TV actress of a beer, it always looks good but there's just not all that much there.

2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

It looked and poured a medium dark brown with little to no head. The smell was of malts and hops, nothing outstanding. The taste of this bock had a no nothing flavor, blah and boring. I can't understand why some people rave about this beer! They should keep all the six packs in Texas!

2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

Had this on-tap at a Mexican bar & grill in Atlanta.

Arrived at my table with zero head and a dark brown color. Aroma was virtually non-existent. Nothing to get excited about yet.

Tasted only slightly better than macro-swill. Carbonated, watery flavor with the hops and malty flavors trying to make their presence known. Finished very clean with little or no aftertaste.

Pass.

1.36/5  rDev -57.2%

It is a sad day when the Micro's sell out to the big guys - And it has happened again. Shiner Bock - used to be a standard in Texas for quality Bock beer. The taste was rich and had a decent mouthfeel. They mostly had taste.

Now that the Sell out has occurred (Apparently to the Devil Anheuser-Bush) they have watered down this beer. The Color is still good and quite deceptive. The taste is nearly non-existent. Essentially a little more flavor than regular (American) Budweiser. But not much. This is a weak watery beer and a sad disappointment. The head is short lived and the aroma is nearly extinct as well. I would have recommended this onel highly about a year ago. But no way will I sully my wonderful reputation recommending this. Avoid it.

Oh Well - Another one bites the dust. : - (

2.86/5  rDev -10.1%

When poured, the color was dark amber with a quick dissolving light tan head. I wasn’t able to identify a distinct odor while drinking. It had a very quick spicy snap to it with a slight sweet taste on the sides of my mouth and leaving a dry after taste. The beer actually had a slight flatness to it, didn’t seem to have a lot of carbonation. It is a nice change to the mainstream beers you advertised on TV during the football games and not pass one up if offered.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear brownish amber color with a creamy white head and a light aroma of sweet malt. It has a crisp flavor with notes of caramel and goes down so easy it’s a little scary. As others have mentioned, one of the best features of this brew is that no matter how small the bar in Texas you find yourself in, they are almost guaranteed to carry it.

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

Not a very compelling beer. It seems to lean on the watery-light side of things. The more I drink this beer the less I like it (maturing taste/expectations?). Something about the taste, it is like old prunes and Dr. Pepper, kind of harsh, and not really all that enjoyable to drink. The nose has a twist metallic, prune, malt, type of thing going on. By this point any details of the appearance is irrelevant as this beer is a lost cause.

I would not recommend it or drink it again, in all likelihood.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

In an effort to promote traditional lambic I gave a colleague at work a bottle of Mort Subite Fond Gueuze (the rare unfiltered strong stuff) - in return - he gave me a bottle of this.
A lovely deep copper-red color, it poured with a thin head. Medium to lightish carbonation, giving a light wanting mouthfeel. Average malty beer that drops the tonsils quite nicely. However, the more I drank this beer, the more I began to grow to like it. I would imagine I could easily drink 3 or 4 bottles of this (if I had them). Not outstanding - but neither offensive or characterless, sort of a "Safe Bet". A reasonably balanced beer that drinks well, and was nowhere near as bad as I had been led to believe, shame on the "knockers".
Was it worth the bottle of traditional Gueuze? - Hell No !!!!

4.68/5  rDev +47.2%

This beer is a staple in my diet. It's got a nice dark brown slighty red color. It pours so easily without ever get to thick of a head. The foam is nice, it fades quickly and leaves almost no lace. The smell isn't one of my favorites (don't get me wrong, I like the smell but mostly because it is one of my favorite beers). It has an excellent mouthfeel with with the caramel flavors and all. It's drinkability truely exceptional whether you slowly drink it down or are just chugging away at a party. In my opinion, defeniently one of the best beers ever brewed.

4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

This is a great beer. Not at all what I would consider a bock beer, but very good. I wish I could get this beer here in Pennsylvania. We recently visited the Spoetzel Brewery in Shiner, Texas and had some fresh draft samples there also.
A malty and better than average amber lager. Nice head and
body. I hope they can get it up to my area in the future.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner