Shiner Strawberry Blonde | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: American Blonde Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by Myotus on 07-20-2015

3.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.61/5  rDev -28.3%

Smell is very good. Taste - no initial taste, very disappointing, was very bland with a bitter follow up. Carbonation seemed a bit low...other than the smell a very disappointing beer.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.24/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

I don't see a bottle date listed.

Appearance: The golden body sparkles like a diamond with crystal clarity. There is a nice robust white head but is slowly fizzles out leaving nothing behind but a surfaces that pops with carbonation like a soda. No lacing.

Aroma: It literally smells just like strawberry soda.

Taste: Up front there is a light strawberry flavor mixed with what tastes like watered down malt with a bit of a biscuit flavor. The aroma gives this expectation of a full flavored beer and then it just takes a nosedive. There is a decent flavor of strawberry but there is literally a "soda water taste" to the beer.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is good but the body is very thin and the beer doesn't have any "oomph" to it.

Overall: It is a very mediocre beer without any character. What started out looking and smelling nice turned into a disappointing lack of flavor or body. I really wouldn't recommend it even to strawberry beer lovers. There are far better strawberry beers on the market. I won't be drinking it again.

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Smells really good. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, it has very little head. Color is nice. Flavor is very bland, after taste is crisp to the point of being dry. Overall, I'm not disappointed that I bought it, but I would not buy it again.

3.24/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

A crisp balance of strawberry and beer without the earthy notes most have. About as close to balances as you can get.

Taste Rating in Words: It's a teeter-totter were neither side can touch the ground, there is no teeter or totter just pure even balance.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Rich golden color with white cap.

Aroma is full on strawberry in a pleasing way. Not so much I would call it strong but it is a pervasive scent that covers everything else.

Taste is middle malty lagerish flavored with strawberry. Surprisingly the strawberry flavor is less intense than the strawberry scent. It's strong enough though I really don't taste anything else.

Light medium texture with balancing carbonation.

I let the last third of the glass warm up to room temperature to see if I could tease out some other flavors and discovered two things . . . a) it goes flat quickly, and b) once warm and flat it tastes like Shiner Light with strawberry flavoring. It is a natural tasting strawberry, which is a plus, but that's about it so don't expect more.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.32/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +6%

Bought a single can from a somewhat local liquor store. I say somewhat because it is about 15 minutes from my house. That being said, it is the closest liquor store from my house that allows customers to buy singles/create your 6-packs. I did find it interesting that this particular store strictly had cans of this beer and not bottles. At the liquor store where I work, it we only carry it in bottles. Anyhow, when I cracked open the can and took a whiff of the aroma...instant strawberry. Quite fascinating, to be honest. I hope they're being truthful when they said they use real strawberries from Texas. So the smell get's a 5/5 for me, because when it comes to fruit beers, this one smells literally like a fresh strawberry flesh. The look is ok. It essentially looks like yellow/orangish water. Can see right through it. A light white head lingers but will eventually dissapate if let sit too long.

Overall, a very well made beer that I would no doubt order at a restaurant if they had it available. However, it should be worth noting that the more I drank this beer, the more I realized I would never have more than 1 or 2 in one sitting. Its just not that type of beer for me.

Beers that I can have more than 1 or 2 or 3 in a sitting (hence, "crushable beers") would be some of the following: Hoegardden, Kellerweis, Grapefruit Shandy, RAR Groove City, among others. Looking back at my list, I suppose I would put Hefeweizens under beers that I am able to crush, or drink more than 3 of in 1 sitting and still be coherent.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice golden color with almost no head with a lot of bubbles looks like champagne. The smell is overwelmingly strawberry but the strawberry taste is subtle. More carbonation than I like but overall not bad.

2.69/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

04/28/2017

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.37/5  rDev +20.1%

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 6 pack of these at the local grocery store. Drank straight out of the bottle, so I'm just going average on look. Very strong, sweet strawberry aroma as soon as you open a bottle. Strong strawberry notes on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is slightly watery and carbonated. Nice strawberry finish. Very easy to drink beer, and very... strawberry. Only thing is I wish it had more body or bite to it, almost too light. BUt still a very nice summertime beer.

4.31/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a slightly cloudy golden yellow.
The aroma is strong strawberry and wheat. The taste matches the nose. This reminds me of the old Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde.

3.21/5  rDev -11.8%