Shiner Strawberry Blonde

Summer
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Shiner Strawberry BlondeShiner Strawberry Blonde
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 48 | Ratings: 176 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

A delightful little beer, the aroma smells pretty heavily of strawberry to me, and pours a reddish amber as I recall. The flavor is mostly strawberry, with a few other notes that don't overpower. It's slightly sweet, and one of the few beers my wife actually likes.

MrNIko from Texas, Mar 28, 2019
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear, bubbly topaz with a thick though not long-lasting ivory head. Strawberry aroma reaches out and touches you from half a meter away. Flavor adds some fresh malt to the mix - but it is still a bit bland. So-so texture features fair body and weak fizz.

JimboBrews54 from Michigan, Oct 17, 2018
3.08/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Like some of the other reviews... I really wanted to like this beer. Smells more like raspberries but the taste is more on the strawberry side. There is this very carbonated tart aftertaste that made me said no. Kind of a mmmm.... ehh? :)

G-Style from New York, Oct 13, 2018
3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into Nonic Pint
No noticeable date
Clear gold with quickly fizzling head
Straight strawberry jam, if I'd close my eyes I'll have no clue this is a beer
Strawberry up front and on the follow, with a grainy & yeasty finish
Light bodied and overly carbonated
Overall not my cup of tea

Samlover55 from New York, Jul 23, 2018
3.29/5  rDev -6%

Clear gold color with noticeable carbonation. Slight white collar that disappears quickly. Nice strawberry aroma over the slight malt aroma. Neutral beery taste with a strawberry over vanilla aftertaste. I like it.

2.57/5  rDev -26.6%

I really wanted to like this beer, but it just doesn’t fit its intention. It tastes very little like real strawberry and more like artificial raspberries. I’m guessing that despite using actual Poteet strawberries, the real flavor is subtle, so they decided to jazz it up with something artificial.

As a Native Texan, I’m quite saddened to say that Abita’s Strawberry Lager is much more authentic tasting to me.

2.34/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Twist-off bottle.

Summer seasonal. 4.3% ABV.

Artificial fruit runs rampant through this borderline medicinal brew. Sticky sweet.

Drinks like an alcopop, but it's not bad if you don't hold it to the basic standard of tasting like a beer. Not something I'd revisit, but it's a pretty lackluster fruited ale rife with nothing but artificial flavour.

D+ (2.34) / NOT RECOMMENDED

kojevergas from Colorado, Mar 18, 2018
3.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent head production and retention; lively appearance; tons of bubbles; transparent straw yellow brew.

Aroma is fairly heavy on the strawberry influence, almost syrupy like a Lindemanns lambic.

Flavor is a touch lighter on the honey, favoring a grainy, wheat-like malt backbone. A touch of light honey; the strawberry is strongest on the finish.

Light, lively, and quite drinkable.

I'd imagine this beer is quite nice for strawberry fans, especially in warm Summer or Spring months.

Roguer from Georgia, Sep 23, 2017
3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

smells like strawberry soda, which I didn't like - strong taste of strawberry - which I guess could be expected, but I thought it was overpowering (especially for a blonde). Good for summer day on the beach or patio but can't see myself buying it again

bdajedi from Bermuda, Sep 15, 2017
3.44/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad but not great. Shiner does have some great selections but I found this to be a bit of a let down. The color, for a Blonde Ale, was a nice representation of the style. The smell of the berries did not come through much but the taste did follow the nose. That being said, the taste was good but I did not get the strawberry flavor that I was hoping for. Not much of a head and no lacing. Overall not one that I would try again.

briandschorr from North Carolina, Aug 05, 2017

Golden colored beer that smells like strawberry.The taste is tart strawberries. Overall I though this was kind of a boring beer. It was nice to try but probably won't buy again.

feuematt from Pennsylvania, Jul 24, 2017
2.66/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Not terrible, but not Shiner's best. The strawberry is definitely noticeable but not overpowering. Overall it's tolerable but leaves a weird taste in your mouth. Wouldn't drink more than one.

2.26/5  rDev -35.4%

This beer is below-average in the modern era. In 1994, say, when Oregon Raspberry Wheat was all the rage on college campuses among budding beer-lovers, this beer may have passed as "good".

However, beermaking in this country has matured greatly, and now this beer is fair to poor. Its aroma of pureed, sweetened strawberries is overpowering. Its taste adds an artificial sweetness on top of the aroma, but then finishes with an unpleasant bitterness.

This was my first Shiner, as I just moved to Texas. I come away disappointed, and I hope the other Shiners are better.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Extreme strawberry smell. Light body and airy head. Taste was less overpowering but still strawberry fruity and sweet. Pretty smooth not much bite.

stlfatguy from Missouri, Jul 01, 2017
2.61/5  rDev -25.4%

Smell is very good. Taste - no initial taste, very disappointing, was very bland with a bitter follow up. Carbonation seemed a bit low...other than the smell a very disappointing beer.

JohnnyLaw from Wisconsin, Jun 18, 2017
2.55/5  rDev -27.1%

I don't see a bottle date listed.

Appearance: The golden body sparkles like a diamond with crystal clarity. There is a nice robust white head but is slowly fizzles out leaving nothing behind but a surfaces that pops with carbonation like a soda. No lacing.

Aroma: It literally smells just like strawberry soda.

Taste: Up front there is a light strawberry flavor mixed with what tastes like watered down malt with a bit of a biscuit flavor. The aroma gives this expectation of a full flavored beer and then it just takes a nosedive. There is a decent flavor of strawberry but there is literally a "soda water taste" to the beer.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is good but the body is very thin and the beer doesn't have any "oomph" to it.

Overall: It is a very mediocre beer without any character. What started out looking and smelling nice turned into a disappointing lack of flavor or body. I really wouldn't recommend it even to strawberry beer lovers. There are far better strawberry beers on the market. I won't be drinking it again.

teromous from Virginia, May 29, 2017
3.32/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Smells really good. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, it has very little head. Color is nice. Flavor is very bland, after taste is crisp to the point of being dry. Overall, I'm not disappointed that I bought it, but I would not buy it again.

4.13/5  rDev +18%

A crisp balance of strawberry and beer without the earthy notes most have. About as close to balances as you can get.

Taste Rating in Words: It's a teeter-totter were neither side can touch the ground, there is no teeter or totter just pure even balance.

D1noB from Oklahoma, May 14, 2017
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Rich golden color with white cap.

Aroma is full on strawberry in a pleasing way. Not so much I would call it strong but it is a pervasive scent that covers everything else.

Taste is middle malty lagerish flavored with strawberry. Surprisingly the strawberry flavor is less intense than the strawberry scent. It's strong enough though I really don't taste anything else.

Light medium texture with balancing carbonation.

I let the last third of the glass warm up to room temperature to see if I could tease out some other flavors and discovered two things . . . a) it goes flat quickly, and b) once warm and flat it tastes like Shiner Light with strawberry flavoring. It is a natural tasting strawberry, which is a plus, but that's about it so don't expect more.

Squire from Mississippi, May 10, 2017
3.86/5  rDev +10.3%

Bought a single can from a somewhat local liquor store. I say somewhat because it is about 15 minutes from my house. That being said, it is the closest liquor store from my house that allows customers to buy singles/create your 6-packs. I did find it interesting that this particular store strictly had cans of this beer and not bottles. At the liquor store where I work, it we only carry it in bottles. Anyhow, when I cracked open the can and took a whiff of the aroma...instant strawberry. Quite fascinating, to be honest. I hope they're being truthful when they said they use real strawberries from Texas. So the smell get's a 5/5 for me, because when it comes to fruit beers, this one smells literally like a fresh strawberry flesh. The look is ok. It essentially looks like yellow/orangish water. Can see right through it. A light white head lingers but will eventually dissapate if let sit too long.

Overall, a very well made beer that I would no doubt order at a restaurant if they had it available. However, it should be worth noting that the more I drank this beer, the more I realized I would never have more than 1 or 2 in one sitting. Its just not that type of beer for me.

Beers that I can have more than 1 or 2 or 3 in a sitting (hence, "crushable beers") would be some of the following: Hoegardden, Kellerweis, Grapefruit Shandy, RAR Groove City, among others. Looking back at my list, I suppose I would put Hefeweizens under beers that I am able to crush, or drink more than 3 of in 1 sitting and still be coherent.

MrWonka from Maryland, May 02, 2017
3.82/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice golden color with almost no head with a lot of bubbles looks like champagne. The smell is overwelmingly strawberry but the strawberry taste is subtle. More carbonation than I like but overall not bad.

MinerBob from Oklahoma, Apr 30, 2017
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bought a 6 pack of these at the local grocery store. Drank straight out of the bottle, so I'm just going average on look. Very strong, sweet strawberry aroma as soon as you open a bottle. Strong strawberry notes on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is slightly watery and carbonated. Nice strawberry finish. Very easy to drink beer, and very... strawberry. Only thing is I wish it had more body or bite to it, almost too light. BUt still a very nice summertime beer.

Coolguy_chris from Tennessee, Apr 19, 2017
4.31/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a slightly cloudy golden yellow.
The aroma is strong strawberry and wheat. The taste matches the nose. This reminds me of the old Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde.

ordybill from Georgia, Apr 16, 2017
2.83/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice golden color. There was a slight strawberry smell, but not particularly strong in my opinion. I was expecting to to be sweet, but it wasn't. Again, just a slight strawberry taste. I thought I would either really like or really hate this beer. In the end, I just found it sort of bland.

torrid_nc from North Carolina, Apr 02, 2017
4.09/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a soft, soapy, white head. A fantastic, highly fragrant nose full of strawberries. This starts with a really excellent front of strawberries, then moves into a more typical malty beer flavor. The finish is really nice as the strawberries mix with the malt to create an almost strawberry cake flavor.

Most every beer I've had with strawberries has left me disappointed, until now. This one really delivers all the best parts of strawberries with malt.

TheSSG from Illinois, Mar 15, 2017