Bohemian Black Lager | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Alströms:

Ratings: 1,471 |  Reviews: 535

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: dark brown almost black with a tan head, not a lot of residual lacing.

Smell: toasty malts and coffee.

Taste: toasty malts with a slight hop bitterness to even out the sweetness. Very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth for a dark beer, but tingly due to a good deal of carbonation.

Drinkability: a good beer that is well crafted, very drinkable, and widely available. A nice effort by Shiner.

3.31/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Very very dark clear brown with a fuzzy slightly guinness like tan head.

S - Has that distunctive lager smell, i can't wuite place it. Some metallic notes, some earthy hops.

T/M - Fuzzy carbonation, with a refreshing yeungling-like flavor. Malt is subdued behind some hop spice. Altogether not very flavorful, but clean and balanced.

D - Mildly tasty, and lower alcohol. Very good beer to have after your taste buds are shot. Good party beer too.

4.07/5  rDev +18.3%

From a 12 oz. bottle purchased at the local grocery store and poured into a Willi Becher style glass. Aroma is of sweetened coffee. Color is a deep brown with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Thin tan head dissipated quickly. Flavor is a clean lager followed by chocolate and roast with a little earthy hop in the finish. This is actually a very nice, easy-drinking beer like a schwartzbier should be.

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz poured into a shaker pint glass.
This beer was very good tasting but a little on the weak/light side compared to other black lagers that I've had. I think I could have quite a few of these. I drank both one after the other out of the family pack.
Looks pretty good black body with a tannish bubbly head. Head didn't last long though.
Smell not a lot there picked up some roast and maybe a hint of chocolate.
Taste all the typical Schwarzbier flavors well balanced but weak, roast, chocolate, sweet, and spice. Ends dry and fairly clean.
Feels a little watery but has good carbonation at the same time.
Drink this is a very easy drinking beer. After two I could easily had more without being overwhelmed.

4.8/5  rDev +39.5%

A- Very nice appearance, with a decent foamy head, leaves a nice lace on the glass. Not quite as black as Koestritzer or Sam Adams Black Lager, but a very dark brown, which looks black unless you hold it up to the light.

S- Nice crisp dark malt smell--not as sweet and carmelly as SA's BL. Closer in aroma I think to Koestritzer, the classic German example.

T- I'm not a Shiner fan, but this beer is very tastey--extremely well ballanced, and closer, in my opinion to German schwarz than SA's BL. Has a nice crisp bite, from the hops,but smooth, without any bitterness from the black malt. This too fits the "black pilsner" category--you would not know for sure it was black if you were blindfolded. More interesting, in my opinion, than other lager styles--due to its darkness--but tastes nothing like a stout or porter, which it resembles. This really is a great example of Schwarzbier--the best bottled American one I have had.

M- Has a lighter beer feel, much like a Helles or even a Pils--which is strikingly according to style. If one is expecting a stout it may taste thinned out--but that is what it is supposed to be-a light, smooth, but intensely dark beer.

D- Again, like German lagers typically are, this is a very drinkable, "session" type beer, which you could have several, and not feel the worse for it. The ABV is not listed on the bottle, but it can't be much over (or under) 4.5% by the way it tastes. This really is a great style, well captured here, for those who won't be fooled by it's color. Don't expect a porter or stout--think while you drink German or Czech!

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Black with caramel edges, a muddy dark chocolate in light. Spongy beige head with good retention.

S - Obviously some roasted malt, but get some hints of ash and licorice. Faint bittersweet chocolate notes.

T - Bright, acidic but mellows as it warms. Not a strong maltiness, expected more of the roasted character. Grassy hops are present but not a lot of depth.

M - Carbonated, acidic, some astringency. Thin but smooth, as expected for a lager.

D - It gets better as it warms, but not much depth to this beer. Didn't get much off it besides some faint hops in the aftertaste. Smooth, easy to drink, but not a lot going on.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

This one has some real contrasts to it. It pours a VERY dark brown, almost black. When you hold it to the light you can see some red highlights in it. Pretty :-) The head was about two inches, and it quickly faded to a thin film that hangs on for the rest of the glass. A bit of lacing throughout the glass. The smell is of coffee and smoke and is really nice.

I drank one of these the other night and I absolutely hated the taste. That said, I didn't want to write it off after only trying one. I thought that maybe it was a bad bottle. The first had an extremely metallic flavor. I finished it, but it was a near thing. I almost poured it down the drain. I drank an English pub ale a couple years ago that tasted like that. (Unfortunately, I had a second of that one and it was awful too...) I decided I'd rate it this evening, but wanted to give it a fair shake, so I opened another one. It's much better. It's never going to be a GREAT beer in my opinion, but it's much better. It has a rather charcoal flavor. I think I can taste just a hint of hops, and some malt. There's a somewhat bitter aftertaste. In this bottle there is no hint of that metallic flavor like the first one had. Maybe it was a bad bottle? My only complaint about this bottle really is that nothing really stands out. It's got the smoke flavor, rather like liquid smoke I guess, but other than that it's really rather blah.

Mouthfeel is fine.

I don't think I'd go out of my way to get more of it. I'll finish the sixpack I suppose, but I'll move on to something I like better though.

Update: It sort of grows on you, and as it warms, it really gets better. There's more flavor as it gets warmer. Less bitterness, and smoke, and more malt and hops. It's getting to be an interesting beer. My advice is let it warm for a few minutes before you start on this one. It helps a lot.

Bohemian Black Lager from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner