Bohemian Black Lager | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by Todd on 09-02-2006

Ratings: 1,471 |  Reviews: 535
3.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This pours a dark brown color with a beige colored head. The aroma has some sweet malts to it, but that’s about it. The taste is simple and perhaps weaker than expected. There is a taste of chocolate and roasted malts but it is weak. Overall this is a very sweet, easy drinking taste that is smooth refreshing. Could use a little more boldness, but that’s just me.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%

I went from bottle to gut, no glass. Bought on sale at local grocer.

Unsure what "shwarzbier" actually means, as labeled (I should look it up..). This beer is definitely a try at a darker lager. Smells great: chocolate, coffee, citrus. Better than all the other Shiner products, in my opinion, since this beer actually seems to have discernible alcohol content.

Finishes quite nice with the low sour tones on back of tongue. Goes down thin in spots. Thin means sometimes you taste through to the base. I think I taste corn syrup. Let me put it this way--with Sam Adams I know what I'm getting; I can abide. Shiner's Black has that welcoming aromatic smell, after prying the cap off, and a great mouthful. And another great mouthful. Sam is the same way, but the heaviness is streamlined for usage, meaning there's a crispness and lightness that Shiner's Dark doesn't have. My comparison here is simply about enjoyable consumption and nothing else. No real carbonation or chatty head here with Shiner'S Dark...just the meat...and the meat is workable but not a lager-lover's dream...

Objective as I can get. I drink lighter lager for fun but dark is a treat. If it's as low as 4.99 go for it. If 5.99 or more, no.

3.14/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dumped really hard into a big ol mug generating a hefty off white head on a dark bodied beer with orange and amber highlights at the bottom. Berry nice looking.

Mild aroma of roasty toasty coffee, caramel, and some hop character.

Flavor is mild as well. Basically that roasted malt coffee flavor. Nice but I want more like I get in a Schwärzla or Köstritzer.

Light watery body with a touch of prickly carbonation.

One of my favs as far as the Shiner lineup is concerned.

2.77/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Pours with a decent off-white head, body is black with a bit of ruby showing.

Aroma- Slight roasty malts, that's about it.

Flavor- Coffee, light bread, slight bitterness. A ~woody component. Maybe licorice. Short finish.

Mouthfeel- Watery, moderate carbonation.

I've only had two schwarzbier, and this is my least favorite of the two.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

4.33/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a glass it produced a 1 finger, creamy head. The beer color is a very dark brown.

The aroma was of roasted malts, and bread.

The taste was similar but with a hint of chocolate, lager yeast taste, and a slight hop bitterness on the end, ( which quickly faded). Medium mouth-feel, a low-medium carbonation.

This is a very good, and easy drinking beer. Got as part of the family pack. I need to find a store that sells it in it's own packaging, because I want more.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into pint glass.

A- Very dark brown, almost black. Had 2 finger head that went away quick. Left some lacing on the glass
S- roasty malts, cocoa, hint of coffee and caramel
T-roasted malts with a hint of chocolate.. then some dark malts and a coffee bitterness
M- a little thin body. high carbonation
O- Was better then I thought it would be. Would buy again if I saw a six pack by itself and not part of the SHINER family reunion variety pack. Didn't care for half the beers in there.

3.31/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured black with little head. Mild aroma, flavor is all upfront with some black patent malt flavor that eased in the middle to no aftertaste on the end. Mildly interesting for a near craft beer. Inoffensive and easy to drink. Not sure I would want more then one but would be a good choice if only BMC was available.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%