Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Added by goochpunch on 02-29-2008

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 87 | Ratings: 114
2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

I'm not a fan of Pilsners. But I am a fan of Shiner, so I had to try it.

Pours out to a nice Golden Color, with a white head. Aroma is strong. But the taste is bland. It's not bad, but it's nothing that will make you say "whoa".

This will be my first and last 6'er of 99

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

The Shiner line-up is usually my cheap beer of choice, and the anniversary editions have been fairly decent, though generally not as good as the regular Shiner Bock.

Shiner 99, however, is the most disappointing brew to come out of Shiner. All I could think of from the time I opened to bottle until the last sip was "Shiner has re-bottled Bud Light and slapped their logo on it". Utterly disappointing, indeed. I hope they can redeem themselves with Shiner 100.

2.52/5  rDev -25%

I poured this brew into a pint glass and was surprised at how much it resembled your average commercial lager in color - pure straw. I know it's a lager but I was expecting something a little more. I should have predicted the taste by the color. There was simply nothing there. It tasted like a Coors to me. Not too good.

2.51/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It was a light golden color with a ton of carbonation and no lacing. It had a finger of fizzy off-white head that quickly dissipated into almost nothing.

The aroma was very weak. It was malty, bready and sweet. Really didn't get the light hops that others mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the style so it would already have gotten a low score but even for the style this one seemed weak in aroma and taste. The taste was barely there. Had as much taste as a BMC really. Again, even for the style it seemed weak. Mouthfeel was decent.

Overall, it's just not a very good beer. It really lacks in aroma and taste. The whole series has been lacking which is a shame. When I first moved to Texas 15 years ago, Shiner really turned me on to good beers but they seem to have lost their way since getting bigger. One and done for me. Don't recommend.

2.47/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle barely past its prime (a best by date of 03/04/2009), into a Pilsner glass.

Pours a clear, pale golden body with an overactive carbonation level. Not much head to speak of, in fact what little amount of off-white foam that did show up quickly vanished to nothingness--Nada. Zilch. The smell is nice, but nothing to write home about. A hint of corn cereal here, a touch of sweetness from the crystal malt there. A slight balance from some German hop varieties, but they've certainly faded with time (thus I adjusted my score accordingly).

Tastes like an over-carbonated Miller Lite (WITHOUT the triple hops!). Some cooked corn, rice, and cereal, very little sweetness or zestiness. Ugh...pretty unimpressive stuff all things considered. Body is uber-fizzy and paper-thin, with a slightly metallic finish. The carbonation level reminds me of seltzer water, imparting an almost sour note to the experience. Now, this wasn't exactly a drainpour for me, but it sure was close. Shiner hasn't really impressed me yet since my move to TX, and unfortunately their Munich Helles is another miss.

1.93/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours out a very clear brassy honey with some sparse bubble movement. Head starts off thinnish and eggshell but then soon disappears, leaving just a white ring around the inside of the glass. Smell is rather grainy with some cooked vegetable smell mixed in. As I poured it, I could get a good whiff of some earthy hops, but as I smell it now, it's hard to pick out over the grain. Taste starts off with some faint malt sweetness then gets really grainy and sticky sweet in the middle. Towards the end, I get a slight medicinal quality and some "corniness" (although, I'm almost positive that this would be all-malt). I can really only pick out the herbal hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of light but kind of sticky. Carbonation feels like it's foaming in the mouth. Yeah, I don't like this. This is to helles lager what Shiner Bock is to bocks. Is this the blonde relabeled (only half-joking)?

1.88/5  rDev -44%

Pours a late sunset gold colour .... a truly gross aroma emanates from my glass ... some foam buts disappears in minutes ...Taste is messed up and too muddled for me to carry on.... A HUGE disappointment! ..if you think Shiner Bock is bad, which i really can't drink anymore, this will make you shiver, my lowest Shiner beer to date...

I know i am being a bit harsh on this one, but it really seems to lack pride... that being said, the best thing about this beer is the cap!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last