Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,523
3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

A - blood orange, little foam, mostly translucent

s - peach, raisin, yeast, esters

t - all of the above, but pecan emerges to be strongest of all. Crisp malts remind you you're still in the weizen world, but the other flavors don't really work together. Too bad, as it definitely reminds me of home (tx hill country).

M - thin, not enough carbonation

D - easily sessionable if you dig the flavor combo. Don't think I could do >2 myself.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown with two fingers of tan head and few lacings. Smell is light fruitiness. Taste is sweet peachy malts with barely enough hops to support. A touch of the pecan shows up in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is clean and slick with a neutral finish. Overall a handsome beer and label. Easy drinker that would probably please the macro beer drinkers more than the craft drinkers due to low hop impact.
I enjoyed it and could detect no alcohol in the taste. Never did taste any wheat presence either.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Nice amber pour with a hint of red. Great lace, great thick cream colored head. Appetizing, and a good hint and what you are about to drink.

S: Scent wasn't much. Pretty dominant scent of peach, really masked anything else that could be deciphered. Maybe a hint of malt? But more like sour peaches and alcohol. Not much of a nose to this.

T: The taste blew me away. This was not what I was expecting when I read "Peaches and Pecans" for some reason. Why? Because it ACTUALLY had both of those flavors, quite dominantly, and well blended. The sweet maltiness and peach flavor hits you right up front in a sharp, sour, and sweet bite. Then it mellows into a very delightful pecan, malt, and bread flavor. The finish is like biting into a piece of warm pecan pie. A surprisingly well crafted, uniquely flavored holiday beer. Bit of a meddling aftertaste though, but overall pretty damn solid.

F: Dry up front, bit chewy and warm on the backend.

O: For the price, I'm really really impressed. It's a worthwhile holiday taste to anyone trying to get in the spirit of things. It is definitely flavored differently enough with the peaches to separate itself from the pack in terms of a unique twist on a holiday beer. Easy drink, dare I say sessionable by a warm fire on a chilly winter evening. Pair this bad boy with some pecan or pumpkin pie and enjoy a night by the fire.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a clear ruby brown color with a finger of off white foam. Aroma is strong with a sour peach flavor. Interesting... but not really appetizing.

Strong sweet peach flavor. Almost like a peach Jolly Rancher, but the sweetness isn't cloying. I'm not really detecting any other strong flavors. This does have a decent body, and doesn't finish too dry or too sweet. This tastes a lot better than I thought it would. Actually fairly drinkable.

A must try if you like peach flavored beers. An interesting diversion, and one of the better Shiner beers that I've had.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice, copper colored body with a good, foamy head. Definite peach aroma along with a nice, malty character. Light, caramel malt body with a fruity tang. Medium bodied; dry finish.

Shiner created a nice, easy drinking holiday ale. The peach and pecan nuttiness are noticeable but not overpowering. Good complexity and balance with a unique and enjoyable flavor.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Huge thanks to my buddy Trevor for this beer. Nice little seasonal trade in person at the COP. I wish I had a weizen glass to serve this in, alas I'll use my favorite pint glass.

A- Creamy wheat head that is very typical of this style. Carbonation generates little pillars of giant bubbles that spark up here and there disrupting the cloudscape. Has pretty good retention with hints of future lacing that I may enjoy.

A solid rusty brown body... umbar if you will, that is easy enough to see through with a back light. This little trick revealed the massive amounts of carbonation pumped into this beer.

S- No wonder this is called cheer! This son of a bitch is Christmas in a bottle! I definitely get the peaches here. Unbelievably strong aroma with a nutty and cherry background. I wish pecan was a bit more portrayed, but this is delicious! There is a hint of fresh air to it... the peaches explode, fade as a breeze of clean air wafts through, and than come back for round two.

T- The flavors can't compare to the nose. I wish they were as amazing, but alas they are muted. It opens malty with some biscuit flavors that linger around until a peach flavor evolves from the back of my palate. Its presence is made known as the malts finish saturating their particular receptor. This fruity sweetness doesn't die off like the malts and actually becomes the finish. The only addition that I can detect is finally the nutty presence that could be pecans, but isn't strong enough to call it so.

M- Medium body which I almost want to call full. It has creamy tendencies, and a bubbly finish. The lingering flavors are perfect. This is probably one of the bigger surprises of my tasting career as of yet.

D- I like this beer a lot. I've had beers from this particular brewery before, and wasn't impressed. This is a whole new level from them. It is easy to drink, tasty, and unique to a point.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

My first thought here is WOW! Six and a half bucks from a brewery that is meh at best, and I am very impressed. Pours a medium amber color, with a bit of a white head on top. Light to medium bodied, with a good amount of carbonation. Huge peach aroma and flavor carry the day here, along with a hint of nuts, some light brown sugar and earth. A very surprising, inviting and delicious "holiday" beer.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this one at The Chimes... 12 oz. bottle served with a pilsner glass.

This one surprised me... not a typical take on a Holiday beer. This was almost more of a peach-infused beer than anything else. A very dominant peach taste, but also pecans and other spices.

It wasn't bad, really. I could have gone for multiple in a session no problem, but there is always other beer to check out.

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A) Dark brown with thick clear edges. A creamy tan head gives up some wispy lacing.

S) Great peach nectar aroma tops a toasted bread base with a hint of hops. Nice level on the fruit.

T) The peach is a bit heavy in the taste, giving a bit of a syrup element that's a bit overdone. The fruit overpowers any subtle underlying elements for me.

M) A bit fizzy, medium light body, lingering finish.

D) Flavorful, festive, not a bad beer and I'm glad I got the 6'er. High marks for creativity, but I would like to see the peach dialed down a mark or three.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Reddish brown color with an off white head that sticks around nicely. Fair amount of carbonation visible.

S: Nice peach aroma. Smells like it could be sweet.

T: Initial peach juice flavor gives way to a nice nuttiness. Some dark wheaty notes linger in the aftertaste. Pretty much lives up to what you would expect being brewed with peaches and pecans.

M: Pretty light and drinkable. A little bit drying on the finish.

O: Definitely enjoyable. Delicious without being over the top.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shiner Holiday Cheer.

I believe this is only the second or third beer I have ever had out of Shiner. Not that I wouldn't try more, I just don't see very many around here. Once again, the fall beer season has long passed and now it is time to bust out the winter brews. Got a single bottle for $1.79 at my local Meijer. Enough blah, time to drink.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a random dimpled pint glass. This beer pours a cranberry grapeish looking color with a deep tinge of amber around the outskirts. The head stands just over a finger in height and quickly dies down to a thick cap amongst the top of the brew which stuck around for quite some time. The carbonation appears to be pretty high which is alright since I had zero idea what to expect since I haven't had many beers of the Dunkelweizen style.

Smell - The smell comes in three different aspects. First and foremost, you get a tons worth of fresh cranberry juice without it being the actual fruit. Second you get a cherry bread like maltyness that melds with the first flavor, and third you get a good dosage of dried dark cherry and dried dark fruits in general that joins the fray.

Taste - It virtually follows the nose to a tee, only with the cranberry demanding the forefront kinda like when yo momma had you with a swiggity swag gangsta then demanded a shitload of child support despite the fact he lived at his parents house. The dark fruits in dried nature also make a show, and with some dark bread notes

Feel - Quick note...the bottle says peaches and pecans...where the hell are those? I'm not getting either. Anyway,.. the body is about moderate and retains all the afoentioned flavors with enough carbonation to pop the top on a champagne bottle.

Overall -Well I didn't taste the flavors mentioned on the bottle but this was a pretty solid beer no matter how you slice it. Hell I think the craft newbies and veterans alike would enjoy this beer. As
. always give it a shot and come to your on conclusion..

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not really a true Dunkelweizen this year, it has pecans, peaches and um....caramel color added.

Pours to a nice buff head and clear brown color. Aroma is peachy, nutty malty and grainy. No hops detected. Flavor is bold and complex with bitter pecan, peach and sweet grain notes. Mouthfeel is medium and pleasingly sticky. A good hearty winter brew that is askew but tasty.

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Clear dark red with a wispy head.

Smell - Peaches, brown sugar, wheat, and alcohol. I think I can smell a bit of pecan as well, though I doubt I would have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned on the bottle.

Taste - A bit sweet, some definite wheat and peach. There is some nuttiness in the aftertaste. No noticeable yeast, unfortunately. The finish is a little bit crisp.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick body and medium carbonation.

Notes - An interesting take on a dunkelweizen. I'm surprised at some of the low marks it gets in the reviews; I guess innovation is only appreciated in the trendy brewers. Sure there's better dunkelweizens out there, but it's both tasty and unique, and that's good enough for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is listed on the bottle as an ale brewed with peaches and pecans with natural flavors and caramel color. It pours a nice amber color with a half inch of thin, quickly dissipating head. The first thing I noted was a strong peach smell as it poured. There is also a nutty, malty smell. The taste is a little different than the smell. Less peach with a mix of pecan. The malty ale comes through on top of the peach and pecans. I love peaches, but I've never been satisfied with peaches in beer. This is no different, although the more I drank, the more I liked the flavor. As I looked through Shiner beers on this site, this is one of their highest rated offerings. I can see why - nice flavor and very easy to drink. I could see myself making my was through three or four of these on a cold afternoon.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Flavors are toasted malt, dark chocolate, and light cherry--peaches come out as it warms. This one is a nice malty holiday treat. Not traditional for the style, but a good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Sweet with the perfect amount of dry bitterness I love. You can taste the pecans, not so much the peaches. I love almost all of the shiner offerings, but yet will tell hold nothing back just cause I'm from Texas. I feel like it could use just a little move uph but that's just me.but over all a decent beer for 10 a sixxer.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Interesting taste, with a fruity zing. Had to read about it here to figure out the fruit was peach, underlaid with pecans. The comparison to fruitcake is apt, but in a good way: doesn't taste stale or dull by any means. Enjoyed it very much last night as a complement to Texas bar-b-q at "The County Line on the Lake" in Austin.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this poured into a pint glass, my first review of a Shiner offering. The color is nice and inviting, a warm copper brown. The taste..well it's super fruity. Like very fruity. I like dunkelweizens in general, but this might have been a bit too much peach. I could have one of these around the holidays each year, but probably not more than that.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark red to brown, 1 inch off white head, not much lacing

S: Peaches are the main smell, a little bread

T: Sweet peach right up front that transitions to a malty, nutty pecan bread flavor, lingering sweetness on the end

M: Medium

O: A really nice seasonal beer with sweetness from the peach and nutty flavor from the pecans. Its like a fruit cake beer, "'Tis the season for cheer".

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

a: reddish brown body with a two finger tan head that leaves spotty lacing.

s: very peach forward, some nuts in there as well, along with some holiday spice and roasted malts.

t: like peach schnapps little brother. toasted nuts, spice and roasted malts.

m: medium to thin body, good carbonation.

o: this is one of the better holiday beers i've had. good flavors and aromas blend well together.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a pint sized drinking glass.

Appearance is dark amber or brown. The smell has a slight peach flavor. The taste is where the peach sticks out the most. I could not taste the pecans that are mentioned on the bottle. The mouthfeel is slightly smooth.

A very drinkable beer and much better than I expected it to be.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours chestnut with 3 fingers of sand colored head. Good lacing & average head retention

S: Pear, honey, apricot & peach juice

T: Apricot, dryness, nuttyness, oakyness & green apples up front. Peach juice, comes through as it warms, plus more nuttyness. Finishes dry, fruitty & with oaky notes. Almost pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation

Drinks easy, this an Americanized dunkleweizen. I could drink a few before moving on. Probably on the better brews I've had from these guys

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Sounded interesting with the peaches and pecans, so I had to try one. Pours an amber gold color with minimal white foam that settles fast. Aromas of baked apples and cinnamon with a nutty undertone. Flavor is lightly sweet and refreshing. A nutty malt base with hints of honey and peach fruit. Nice carbonation, pretty much an adult holiday soda.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner