Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 402
1.9/5  rDev -46.2%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

1.92/5  rDev -45.6%

peach taste over powers the brew.

1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours an amber reddish brown with a fluffy brown dissipate not too long after the pour. There is no evident carbonation or lacing. The smell is very sweet. Lots of peaches and strawberries up front. Artificial candy notes actually take over the whole nose. Taste is artificial as well with candy strawberries being the highlight. Mouthfeel. A bit syrupy and with medium carbonation. not good. Drinkability is minimal. Ill finish the one and move on to good beer. Not very impressed with this one.

1.95/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

If you're a fan of peach and pecan you'll be very happy. I'm not so I didn't care for this.

1.99/5  rDev -43.6%

Not my favorite. Have had better Shiner beers. I'll give them unique on this one!

2.04/5  rDev -42.2%

2.06/5  rDev -41.6%

A dunkelweizen brewed with peaches, pecans and delicious natural flavor and caramel color. On a day like this, what could be better than some crisp refreshing natural flavor?

The beer is the color of mahogany with ruby red highlights and perfect clarity, which I find a little odd for a dunkelweizen. The head crackles and dissipates like a can of soda poured into a paper cup. Looks exactly like Coke, actually.

Sweet and tart peaches and cream greet the nose first; more like cream soda actually. Toasted pecans and whole wheat toast are present as well. It's on the sweet side, and oddly artificial smelling.

Cola, peaches, strawberries, caramel and pecans are dominant on the tongue, along with a touch of nutmeg and chocolate. It's very sweet and syrupy, though the body is thin and carbonation high. It finishes on a dry note, with some lingering bitterness, Cherry Coke and peach. This is strange, unsettling stuff; it's like a soda/beer hybrid. If you're the type of person that adds shots of vodka to their RC Cola, you may enjoy this, but otherwise it's best avoided.

2.08/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark amber color with not much head. Big fake peach aroma. Flavor is just peach, nothing else. Good feel. Overall, its just carbonated peach juice.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner