Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

3.7

Ratings: 1,604 |  Reviews: 409

Not my favorite. Have had better Shiner beers. I'll give them unique on this one!

2.04/5  rDev -42.7%

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

A dunkelweizen brewed with peaches, pecans and delicious natural flavor and caramel color. On a day like this, what could be better than some crisp refreshing natural flavor?

The beer is the color of mahogany with ruby red highlights and perfect clarity, which I find a little odd for a dunkelweizen. The head crackles and dissipates like a can of soda poured into a paper cup. Looks exactly like Coke, actually.

Sweet and tart peaches and cream greet the nose first; more like cream soda actually. Toasted pecans and whole wheat toast are present as well. It's on the sweet side, and oddly artificial smelling.

Cola, peaches, strawberries, caramel and pecans are dominant on the tongue, along with a touch of nutmeg and chocolate. It's very sweet and syrupy, though the body is thin and carbonation high. It finishes on a dry note, with some lingering bitterness, Cherry Coke and peach. This is strange, unsettling stuff; it's like a soda/beer hybrid. If you're the type of person that adds shots of vodka to their RC Cola, you may enjoy this, but otherwise it's best avoided.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Tastes like a peach blunt wrap. I'm not sure what that spice is, but it comes across artificial and overpowering. It's all I can taste, and it isn't good.

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Shiner Holiday Cheer pours a dark amber color with not much head. Big fake peach aroma. Flavor is just peach, nothing else. Good feel. Overall, its just carbonated peach juice.

2.11/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but new seasonal so it's fresh) into a pint glass. It was mahogany color with some carb and slight lacing. It has a good sized light beige head that took awhile to fade.

The was peach, peach and more peach. Never really got a whiff of the underlying base beer. I like peaches but this was too much. Same for the taste. Very one dimensional and cloying. It also clashed with the base flavor.

Overall, nasty and a drain pour. One and done. Very glad I got a single instead of a sixer. Another sub-par effort from Shiner - a faded Texas icon. Avoid.

2.11/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

2.16/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%

A - Pours a deep amber, very dark but still see-through. Not a very dunkel looking beer. 3 fingers of a heavy wheat head, that recedes to a thick lacing.

S - Peaches, with mild wheat and sweet malt undertones. Extreme overpowering peach notes take away from any real beer ingredients. Not pleasant, smells artificial.

T - Peach blast. And not a very pleasant blast at that. Mild yeast notes as the taste fades out. No real wheat presence. Strange flavor, not all that enjoyable from my end.

M - Might as well be a light lager. I've never tasted a dunkel that was this thin and bubbly. Little thicker than a light lager I guess, but not nearly the wheaty body you'd expect.

O - Disappointing is the name of this beer. If you're REALLY into peachy flavors and thin beer, go for it. But if you're looking for an actual dunkel, steer clear of this one.

2.24/5  rDev -37.1%

2.24/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner