Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

3.7

Ratings: 1,601 |  Reviews: 409
2.4/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a deep copper mahogany color with a one finger head with moderate retention. Nice cap of foam, and a touch of lace are left behind.

S- Completely dominated by peaches. At least they smell like actual peaches, and not completely artificial as many fruit beers can.

T- Again, mostly dominated by fruit, this time slightly artificial. There is a hint of caramel and sweet malt on the finish, but you've got to be looking for it. Pecans are nowhere to be found.

M- A little on the thin side, but good enough for what it is.

D- Decent at best. Peach flavor becomes overwhelming after about half a glass. I'm not sure that I'll be finishing this six pack.

In the end, if they were trying to make a peach beer, they nailed it. That being said, this is most certainly NOT a dunkelweizen. Furthermore, I'm a little pissed at Spoetzl honestly... I see the neck of the bottle peaking above the cardboard holder, and it claims to be "A Bavarian style dark wheat". "Sounds great!" I thought to myself. It wasn't until I got home that the little tidbit about peaches and pecan showed itself at the very bottom of the label. In the end, I guess it is my fault for not reading the entire label in the store, but honestly, if you're making something that smacks you across the face with peach like this... it needs to be more clearly advertised as such.

2.46/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

It smells and tastes like peaches. Way too sweet and syrupy for my tastes.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner