Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 401 | Ratings: 1,573
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Mostly clear, the color of partially artificial maple syrup. Head is sandy-tan and foamy, with excellent retention. Beer appears at least moderately viscous. Peaches, an almost sweet-roasted nuttiness (although I wouldn't have guessed this was from actual pecans), and suggestions of bread on the nose. Palate denotes peaches, nuts, toffee, wheat bread, and a herbal to earthy bitterness, more along the lines of an English ale than a German wheat. This goes very well with peach and pecan flavors, in my opinion. Medium-bodied, though perhaps light for the style. Softer, sparser, sloshable carbonation. A creamy-smooth drinker.

3.77/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz bottle poured into pint...

A: Light mahogany color with about a fingers worth of head that settles to a nice foamy ring, little lacing to speak of.

S: I like the smell strong peaches with a nutty pecan aroma.

T: First thing to hit me is a pleasant hit of caramel malt, followed quickly by a blend of peaches and pecans with a hint of clove and yeast. Nice clean finish, leaving a slight peachy aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is crisp and slightly dry.

D: Low ABV and interesting mix of flavors and smells... very night little beer.

Another good beer from Shiner, different and good.

3.78/5  rDev +6.8%

This holiday beer is brewed with peaches and pecans, an interesting combination. Pours a clear, dark, copper color. A thick, light brown head fades to a sudsy film leaving sheets of lace. Peaches dominate aroma masking most others. The combine with the light maltiness to give a candied impression. There might be slight notes of pecan, but it's hard to tell if that's the label planting things in my head.

Carmel malts, and a definite pecan nuttiness upfront. The sweet fruitiness of the peaches appears in the center along with a bit of spiciness. The finish is mildly bitter, especially in the aftertaste, which is reminiscent of the dryness of pecan husks. Highly carbonated, medium-bodied with a pleasing husky dryness in the finish.

A little sweet overall, but definitely a flavorful and interesting beer. The odd combination of pecans and peaches in a beer really works here.

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%

A shiner beer I really like. The pour was a straw yellow with a good head. The smell had peach and pecan but also what smelled like Belgian wheat which gives off a banana scent. The taste was nice with heavy notes such as bread and pecans in the beginning and mellowing out with the semi-sweet peach coming through on the finish. Very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

A odd beer that I spotted at publix after work, after noticing that their where a few other holiday beers already on the shelves.

Ive never really had anything that good from shiner, but the use of peaches and pecans really seems pretty crazy, so I had to try it.

Oddly enough it works. The mix of dunklewisen, peaches, and pecans give this beer a excellent buttery/toffee smell that is very festive.

The beer itself is very rich, buttery, and nutty all at the same time. A great purchase.

I might even pick up another 6 pack..........Hell it was on sale.

It might even be the best holiday beer I try this season (it was better than a pumpkin stout I picked already)
Give it a shot!

4.02/5  rDev +13.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass.

Amber red and clear body with a medium sized cream head of great retention and lacing. A really nice looking brew.

Aroma is of sweet peaches and a strong malty backbone. Not getting much pecan in the aroma though.

Taste is heavy on the peach with a more substantial wheat backbone, a hint of pecan but minimal. No bitterness to balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, a little stickiness, smooth.

Overall a nice light peach dunkel that might be better during the warmer months, but surely enjoyed more than expected. Would have been nice to get more pecans though.

3.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this one at The Chimes... 12 oz. bottle served with a pilsner glass.

This one surprised me... not a typical take on a Holiday beer. This was almost more of a peach-infused beer than anything else. A very dominant peach taste, but also pecans and other spices.

It wasn't bad, really. I could have gone for multiple in a session no problem, but there is always other beer to check out.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a dark red amber with a finger or two of thick tan head. Looks quite nice, really, until the head dissipates, which happens fairly quickly, resulting in not much lacing.

S: Strong peach with a background of nuttiness. Like a a sugary peach drink and almonds. Strange.

T: Sweet peach again, finishing slightly dry.

M: Medium carbonation, fairly smooth, medium to light body.

D: It's too weird to be drinkable for me. I guess if you like the peach-beer characteristic it would be quite drinkable, given the fairly low ABV and nice mouthfeel.

Quite an odd beer. Probably worth trying for the experience if you can split a single bottle with someone else - a full 12oz bottle was a bit much of this for me, and I have no desire to get more.

2.46/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a deep copper mahogany color with a one finger head with moderate retention. Nice cap of foam, and a touch of lace are left behind.

S- Completely dominated by peaches. At least they smell like actual peaches, and not completely artificial as many fruit beers can.

T- Again, mostly dominated by fruit, this time slightly artificial. There is a hint of caramel and sweet malt on the finish, but you've got to be looking for it. Pecans are nowhere to be found.

M- A little on the thin side, but good enough for what it is.

D- Decent at best. Peach flavor becomes overwhelming after about half a glass. I'm not sure that I'll be finishing this six pack.

In the end, if they were trying to make a peach beer, they nailed it. That being said, this is most certainly NOT a dunkelweizen. Furthermore, I'm a little pissed at Spoetzl honestly... I see the neck of the bottle peaking above the cardboard holder, and it claims to be "A Bavarian style dark wheat". "Sounds great!" I thought to myself. It wasn't until I got home that the little tidbit about peaches and pecan showed itself at the very bottom of the label. In the end, I guess it is my fault for not reading the entire label in the store, but honestly, if you're making something that smacks you across the face with peach like this... it needs to be more clearly advertised as such.

2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Scuttlebutt 10 Degrees Below. Not a Dunkelweizen, but the closest thing I had.

A: Clear dark amber with one-finger, off-white, creamy head that lasted a couple of minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Smells like sweet fruit-punch. Not necessarily a bad thing, unless it tastes that way too.

T: Wow, peach (bad). Solid sweetness and light bitterness. The malt character comes through a bit.

M: Light to medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

O: Eh, smells way to sweet and tastes almost as sweet. I guess this is good for holiday parties...or something. I won't compare to the Scuttlebutt since they were less similar than I had hoped they would be.

3.11/5  rDev -12.1%

Just saw this at the store today so I grabbed a six pack. Not sure if a six pack was such a good idea, though. This is a strange brew.

Poured into my Sam Adams crazy glass. Beautiful color. Bright amber/brown with ruby reds and sunlight orange hues shining through. Thin head recedes quickly into a light film over the beer. Not much lace, but man it's a pretty beer. The nose is a bit strange. Odd mix of light fruit and malt. Kinda reminds me of the old Nehi Peach soda. Definitely some peach, some faint nutty scents, and malty sweetness, but on the whole it's a bit odd. Not necessarily offensive, just odd. The taste is similar in comparison. Strange peach flavor, nutty bitterness. Mostly malt sweetness, but the strange peach flavor lingers a bit too much in the aftertaste. Bizarre. Again, not bad, but bizarre. A slight hint of smoky pepper in there too gives it a spicy bite. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. Not bad.

What an odd beer, this Holiday Cheer. Not sure I'd call it a dunkelweizen, although it is, according to the brewery, a variation on their dunkel theme from a previous brew. Still, I can't see this one catching on with the mainstream. Interesting, yes, but probably a one-time brew. Glad I tried it, though, if nothing else.

2.56/5  rDev -27.7%

Dark mahogany in color, finger of head that stays; it's very clear, and that's not quite to style, but all in all, very nice looking.

Smells overwhelmingly like cherries, and a little yeast action.

Wow. This tastes like fruit cocktail. I mean, if there wasn't a slightly bitter finish, I would think I was back in my school cafeteria slurping something 'in heavy syrup'.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation, slightly drying.

Where's the beer? This is pretty strange, very non-dunkelweizen. If you like really sweet, fruity alcoholic beverages though, this one is for you.

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

4.64/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

2.81/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured a thick, light-tan head with appropriate weizen retention. Pristine copper beer.

S-Overwhelimingly of peaches, sweet and fruity. One-dimensional.

T-The peaches are very prominent. Some malts were under there somewhere... When malts did poke through the peach, they tended toward bready and caramelly. Some nuances of the added pecans also appeared subtley. No bitterness. This brew was sweet and peachy.

M-Moderate-high carbonation. Medium body. The sweetness adds a lot of perceived fullness to the body.

D-Low. This beer is overly fruity, making a beer that's a bit too one-dimensional, focusing on the fruit while seemingly leaving the rest of the beer behind.

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tis the season...
A: a brownish roasted chestnut. Little head dissipates to some faint lining with the tiniest trace of lacing. S: the nose is mainly of the tart peach. Some bready malt in there as well. T: much more peach on the palate here. It has a slight soft-drink quality to it. Sounds strange, I know. There is a weak spiciness on the back end. I don't really taste the pecans, unfortunately. F: the carbonation and fizziness is there initially but eventually dies down into a fairly smooth beer. O: a decent Christmas brew, there are better out there but this one is different and worth a try.

3.17/5  rDev -10.5%

This holiday beer has a distinct nutty and peachy smell/taste. Although sometimes it comes off smelling like popcorn... don't know if that's just me. Finishes smooth. Nothing special about the color or head features and came off a little flat... but that may have been the tap that it came from. Could use a little more hops, very strong malty flavors with a fruity/nutty aftertaste.

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Pours an orangish copper color with a one finger head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing. Aroma of candied pecans, peaches, and roasted malt. Taste follows the nose with roasted malts and pecans before the peach sneaks in to provide a barely sweet finish. The biggest issue with this beer is the feel. Light bodied and medium-light carbonation. It makes it easier to drink but allows you to forget that it's supposed to be a dunked. It could pass for a malt forward amber.
I like this a lot during the holidays and pick up a 6 pack every November. There isn't much difference between bottle and tap though. It's not a great beer, but it gets bonus points for me because it really fits into the holidays.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Comes out of the bottle a distinctly clear ruby color with a slim sliver of head and no lacing.

S- Punches of peaches! Lots of sweet peach flavor- very ripe, maybe canned, maybe candied peaches

T- Lots of the same peach as the nose. I can get some of the darker nut flavors if I really try, but the sweetness if pretty overwhelming. Still the taste is more balanced than the aroma, for what it's worth. As it warms up there are some more flavors- the bready malt comes out a bit, but accompanying it is some cheap vodka.

M- The sweetness lingers, but it's a rather light beer besides that.

O- Who likes peaches? If you're looking for a peach soda clone this is probably your best bet.

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

A: Pours a brownish red color with very little head at all.

S: The aroma is of sweet malts and some light hops.

T: Taste is not what I hoped but a bit metalic and some malt tatse but hops are covered up by metalic taste.

M: Thin and watery and also not what I expected.

O: Overall a sad letdown as to what I hoped it would be the name sounded festive and like haveing a good time, but sadly that was not the case here.

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass
Appearance: pours a 2"+ sudsy head that falls slowly with some mild lacing. Color is a mostly clear reddish-brown. Some mild carbonation streams are visible.
Aroma: peaches are dominate, but also a bit of wheat grass, caramel and lightly toasted bread. Mouthfeel: light bodied, fairly crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: interesting combination of wheat, caramel, sweet barley, peaches and roasted pecans. There is a mild hop bite in the finish.
Overall: extremely good as far as flavored/fruit beers go. The first pecan beer I can recall having where I can actually taste the pecan flavor. Well done Shiner!

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark reddish brown with a frothy white head that faded fast. The smell reminds me of kool-aid, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, I started to doubt this one once I smelled it. Upon my first sip I was sad that I ordered this one, the fruitiness and sweet hit you all at once. Not much else going on except some wheat toward the end. The beer is smooth, light mouthfeel, mostly thin. Overall I would recommend against this beer, the flavor got to me only a few sips in. I will not get this one again, too many bad flavors going on here.

3.51/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12oz twist off bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Beer pours reddish brown and bold looking with still enough clarity to see the light through with a solid finger of head that quickly dies. Lacing does persist on the sides of the glass and it is a very good looking beer.

Smell- Wow. I really didn't expect to smell the peaches and pecans that thickly in the scent. The peaches are the most peach I've smelled in a beer since Lindemans Peche, and the pecans are nutty and roasty, very thick on the nose, really a surprise that it also smells like beer with hops and malt in there as well. I would call out off flavors, but they all seem to back up nuts and fruit which are in the brew as well. Very interesting and I don't know what to make of this beer.

Taste- Neat! The peach carries over very highly right into the taste as well. I'm not so sure about dunkelweizen although there does seem to be some wheat content. I can catch the pecans as well on the finish, but not upfront. This is the most interesting winter beer I've had this year to be certain. Malts are thick enough to make it a fairly smooth drinking beer. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it at this point.

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel is very corn macro swill like, the finish isn't quite where I would want it to be. the body is about medium and I would have to say the carbonation is slightly overcarbonated.

Drinkability- This is a really hard one on drinkability, it's one you have to try just to sample those flavors, but it may not exactly be your cup of tea. After drinking the whole beer, I'm still not exactly sure if I like it or not. There are good and bad aspects to this beer. That said, I'm glad I have a six pack to re-evaluate at my leisure.

3.56/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my slim, elegant stemmed Rodenbach glass a glowingly clear chestnut color with a big, dense & creamy 2" settled head. Moderate fine carbonation visibly uprising. As I move the glass side to side, the head barely moves - just like a good wheat beer. Nice thin rings of lace all the way down.

Very peachy nose first off. Very sweet indeed. The label reads 'brewed with peaches & pecans', and you definitely can pick out the peaches, while the pecans are in the back - but still detectable. Like I just mentioned, this is a very sweet smelling brew.

Interesting mingling of the peaches and pecans in the taste. Again, the peaches take the forefront, but the nuttiness somehow keeps it from getting cloying, (like I was fearing from the scent). You actually get a bitterness that reminds me of the skin of a walnut - but I guess that;s close enough. I do believe there's a teeny-tiny bit of clove wayyy underneath all of this, and I'll have to agree with my senses seeing this is a dunkleweissen.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied with a gentle and soft texture, (thanks to the wheat malt). The level of carbonation is noticably below the 'normal' hefeweissen, but it still feels nice and fine.

Drinkability is good. A little syrupy, sweet for me to have a session, but two might be fine.

Overall a beer that definitely isn't boring or forgettable. When I think of Christmas, peaches aren't the first noun to come to mind. But now that I've tried it, I'm glad I did. If the peach flavor could be knocked down about 25% and replace that with more pecan, I think we'd have one humdinger of a Texan Christmas offering.

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%

Clear red brown, very dense light tan head. Possible tiny reindeer tracks in the head, but I can't be sure. Smell is VERY fruity. Peaches, oranges, lemons, bananas, cherries. And peaches. I'm serious, this smells like a soothie. Taste follows suit, very sweet, with oranges and vanilla. It tastes like one of those orange cream candies. Interesting. I would have a VERY hard time classing this. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Drinkability is excellent. You could just suck these down all Christmas eve. Until you went glucose intolerant. To sum it up...I have little to no idea what to make of this.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner