Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 403

2.72/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: Hazelnut brown with a finger of off-white foam which falls quickly to a torn sheet of the same. Excellent clarity. No lace.
S: Smells of plastic and some astringent malts. Not like.
T: Tastes sweet and like it has pecans. Some brown sugar tones. Taste far exceeds nose here.
M: Creamy. Thin. Absentee finish.
O: Well, it's okay. I would suggest to a novice to craft.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

2.71/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a dark ruby red/brown color, with an off-white head that crackles and pops its way down to nothing in no time. Nice color, but this is my fourth bottle in a week and I've never been able to achieve much of a head on this beer. And life's too short to worry about THAT.

If this were fruit juice or soda, it would smell just fine, but I'm pretty close to being put off by the smell. It's peachy, because I've been told peaches are in this beer, but moreover I feel like I'm smelling a just-opened bottle of Juicy Juice fruit juice, if you're familiar with that stuff. Cherry, grape, peach...it's like a punch in here. The pecans this beer was also brewed with are indiscernible in the nose, as is any real beer-like quality.

Each bottle I've had has been less and less impressive to me, taste-wise. I get some pecans here, and that's nice, but there's a kind of burnt-sugar character that is unpleasant, and the peach flavor borders on nasty, not to mention overpowering, and the overall sweetness is very soda-like. A spiciness like that in various US winter warmers tries to peek through (are these the "natural flavors"?) and I don't get much "Bavarian-style dark wheat" character as promised by the label. Again: soda-like. There's a good beer in here somewhere, I swear, but as is I wouldn't ever buy another 6-pack. Finishes bitter and plastic-y and just really messy.

And again soda-like with the texture/feel...quite spritzy and tingly, also it avoids being harsh with an element of smoothness and slickness.

Dunkelweizen? Really? I wish it had struck me more like a dunkelweizen, I like a good DW. This Shiner Cheer just isn't for me.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

2.92/5  rDev -17.3%

3.46/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Body is clear, dark coppery-amber with a small khaki-colored head. Lots of visible carbonation.

S: Pureed peaches and strawberries over a sweet malt foundation.

T: Meh. Nutty malt foundation is followed by overripe peaches. Finishes clean, though with a slight aftertaste of fruity sweetness.

M: Light in heft, active, fizzy carbonation.

O: Not impressed. Glad I only bought the single bottle. Merry Christmas to all and to all a [better beer than this one] . . . Good night!

2.94/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.68/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is EXACTLY why we should read labels folks, saw this beer for years always assumed it was some cinnamon and nut type winter warmer, nope...Looked decent enough, amber hued w a nice off white head. Almost immediately however I was greeted with a sickly sweet, urine filled diaper aroma, mind you I'm pouring 2 ft away, put my nose in and taht was it, pee pee peach overwhelming everything, taste following suit being almost artificial in its sweetness, even if I liked peaches this is horrible, mouth is like syrup, opposite of a dry wheat feel, overall, no cheer here, not how planned to start 2017, thanks shiner

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner