Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

3.7

Ratings: 1,580 |  Reviews: 403
3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

4.58/5  rDev +28.7%

This is a great beer for its price range. For only about $1 a beer, it's absolute joy. You can't really buy a beer this good for that kind of price, so I take that into account when I'm doing this review.

As others have mentioned, it's got a good, dark amber color. Probably not a true dunkelweizen, because it's obviously filtered. That's probably my only complaint with it. Others have said it is very peach-forward, but I disagree, and admire the depth of the pecan flavor. I actually could not smell or taste the peach until the VERY thick, creamy head had dissolved, which can take quite a while, and even after it's mostly gone, there will be little islands of froth on top. After that, though, it certainly has a very fruity scent, but I don't get a really distinct peach flavor. My boyfriend found it more apricot with some prunes. To me, it's just "fruity". The lacing is GORGEOUS on this beer, and adheres to the glass for a long time. It's definitely sweet on the aftertaste, but not in a bad way, and the 22 IBU as listed on the label is spot-on correct. But overall the thing that impresses me most is the mellow, pecan-y taste. I grew up in the South and remember eating pecans by the handful, because they're practically free down there. (Not like up north, where they're an asinine $8 a pound.) You might have to be from the deep South- Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia- to pick up the subtle characteristics of pecan that are so well incorporated. I think a lack of recognition of these subtle flavors might be why so many who enjoy this beer are saying it's more peach forward. They just can't suss out pecans from the malt/ wheat/ hops, which it blends very well with. But to someone who grew up snacking on the abundance of pecans from random trees in the deep south like I did, the flavor of natural pecan is going to be right in your face, very noticeable and distinct. And that's okay, we all have different experiences and palettes. People in California or New York might eat candied pecans for a treat, or toss some on a salad, maybe know them in cookies and pastries, but I don't know any (I talk to a lot of people online) who would just sit around on long, hot summers, cracking pecans out of a 50 lbs sack that was hand gathered only days ago, and eating them for a meal. To say I am intimate with pecan's flavor is an understatement. Although it is a tender, mild nut, I know its every tiny nuance, and can pick it away from the scent of grains like a blood hound.

If you enjoy Abita Pecan, this is even more pecan flavored than that, and I think, much tastier overall.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a red/amber with a light quickly disappearing head with remains thin and lace like. District smell of peaches and a very slight nuttiness. Once I sipped the beer, I got a good amount of candied pecan taste. Very sweet. Feel is thin and has a medium to light level of carbonation

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a deep reddish amber with an off white head with average retention
S-pecan, raspberry, cherry
T-pecan and raspberry flavors and fairly malty
M-medium bodied
O-much more fruity than I would have expected. Not a bad brew but tastes a lot like fruit cake

Maybe I'm crazy but I am a fan of this beer. Peaches, pecans are the prominent flavors. I love peaches so this beer has an advantage with me. One of my all time favorites.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shiner Holiday Cheer.

I believe this is only the second or third beer I have ever had out of Shiner. Not that I wouldn't try more, I just don't see very many around here. Once again, the fall beer season has long passed and now it is time to bust out the winter brews. Got a single bottle for $1.79 at my local Meijer. Enough blah, time to drink.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a random dimpled pint glass. This beer pours a cranberry grapeish looking color with a deep tinge of amber around the outskirts. The head stands just over a finger in height and quickly dies down to a thick cap amongst the top of the brew which stuck around for quite some time. The carbonation appears to be pretty high which is alright since I had zero idea what to expect since I haven't had many beers of the Dunkelweizen style.

Smell - The smell comes in three different aspects. First and foremost, you get a tons worth of fresh cranberry juice without it being the actual fruit. Second you get a cherry bread like maltyness that melds with the first flavor, and third you get a good dosage of dried dark cherry and dried dark fruits in general that joins the fray.

Taste - It virtually follows the nose to a tee, only with the cranberry demanding the forefront kinda like when yo momma had you with a swiggity swag gangsta then demanded a shitload of child support despite the fact he lived at his parents house. The dark fruits in dried nature also make a show, and with some dark bread notes

Feel - Quick note...the bottle says peaches and pecans...where the hell are those? I'm not getting either. Anyway,.. the body is about moderate and retains all the afoentioned flavors with enough carbonation to pop the top on a champagne bottle.

Overall -Well I didn't taste the flavors mentioned on the bottle but this was a pretty solid beer no matter how you slice it. Hell I think the craft newbies and veterans alike would enjoy this beer. As
. always give it a shot and come to your on conclusion..

3.02/5  rDev -15.2%

1.92/5  rDev -46.1%

peach taste over powers the brew.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

4.68/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Peachy keen!

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I always look forward to this beer! I enjoy the suble peach and other flavored. Slightly sweet and malty. Had it first this year on draft into a pint glass. Fruity smell, comforting taste and feel. Looking forward to drinking this over the next couple months.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a translucent dark amber color with an off-white head. Mild peach aroma. Nice yet subdued peach flavor with a hint of caramelized sugar. Pecan flavor is more subtle. Light-bodied with a clean mouthfeel. Sweet, but extremely well balanced. Overall very pleasant and very drinkable. One of the few fruity beers I really like.

2.16/5  rDev -39.3%