Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States
shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Ratings: 1,578 |  Reviews: 401
4.83/5  rDev +36.8%

Great light peach flavor with mild pale ale bit

4.8/5  rDev +36%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

4.77/5  rDev +35.1%

4.76/5  rDev +34.8%

4.76/5  rDev +34.8%

4.73/5  rDev +34%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It is a rarity anymore when The CANQuest (TM) is the first to review a particular beer in/from a CAN, but this is one of those rare instances! It used to be pretty easy to accomplish this feat, but with the craft CAN revolution on full swing and loads of new CANned beers coming out every day, it has gotten harder. Cheers to The Friendly Greek for making singles of this one available.

From the CAN: "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Greetings from Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color".

The Crack was nice and loud, befitting a Texan beer and my inverted Glug was equally big, to the point that I had to back off to avoid an overflow. While awaiting some of the massive, dense, tawny two-plus fingers of head to fell to a point of reasonable drinability, I took in its color. It was a deep-mahogany (SRM = > 27, < 34) with button-brightness. Man, i could really smell the peaches on the nose! It was like a CAN of preserves. Mouthfeel was medium and the peach flavor was unrelenting, but it also had flavors of milk chocolate and a nuttiness that was the peCANs doing their thing. Finish was pretty sweet, which is usually a drawback for me, but I was really digging this beer. I know that The Friendly Greek also has bottles for sale, so I may give that serving style a try. In the meantime, let me know if you would like me to score a CAN for you in trade for a CAN that I have not tried. Cheers!

Today is Saturday, 28 June 2014 and I have a bottle that had been held in abeyance which I am also going to review at this time.

From the bottle: "Here's a Brew! A Bavarin-style dark wheat"; "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Just for You! Enjoy the Gift of Holiday Cheer"; "Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color"; "Every drop of Shiner is brewed in Shiner"; "Happy Holidays from the 'Little Brewery' in Shiner, TX. We hope you enjoy your Shiner Cheer, an Old World Dunkelweizen brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans. The malty flavors of this dark wheat ale are enhanced through the use of malted barley and wheat. And Krausening ensures a smoothness hat makes the subtle peach and pecan flavors all the more satisfying. May your days be merry and bright and your Shiner be cold. Prosit!"; "Give one to someone you love!"

I appreciate that this beer had such wonderful patience in waiting for me to get around to drinking it. The pour began to foam up pretty quickly, so I backed off and let the pseudo-cascade do its thing before settling into two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with mahogany highlights (SRM = > 22, < 27) and NE-quality clarity. Man, but the nose was just redolent with peaches! Peachy keen, I say. I may run out and get a Tastykake Peach Pie after this. Mouthfeel was soft, kind of full and creamy and the taste was heavy on the peaches, but with a nuttiness, also. Finish was fruity, nutty, semi-sweet, but not over the top. Man, I could drink this year-'round!

4.72/5  rDev +33.7%

4.68/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As I love the smell of peaches and pecans together I can't help but be a little biased when it comes to this beer. I believe that Its an instant classic and doesn't disappoint. Its easily one of the best beers shiner makes and its a very good christmas/holiday/winter beer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner