Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

good
good
Read the review
Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

4.76/5  rDev +34.8%

4.76/5  rDev +34.8%

4.73/5  rDev +34%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It is a rarity anymore when The CANQuest (TM) is the first to review a particular beer in/from a CAN, but this is one of those rare instances! It used to be pretty easy to accomplish this feat, but with the craft CAN revolution on full swing and loads of new CANned beers coming out every day, it has gotten harder. Cheers to The Friendly Greek for making singles of this one available.

From the CAN: "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Greetings from Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color".

The Crack was nice and loud, befitting a Texan beer and my inverted Glug was equally big, to the point that I had to back off to avoid an overflow. While awaiting some of the massive, dense, tawny two-plus fingers of head to fell to a point of reasonable drinability, I took in its color. It was a deep-mahogany (SRM = > 27, < 34) with button-brightness. Man, i could really smell the peaches on the nose! It was like a CAN of preserves. Mouthfeel was medium and the peach flavor was unrelenting, but it also had flavors of milk chocolate and a nuttiness that was the peCANs doing their thing. Finish was pretty sweet, which is usually a drawback for me, but I was really digging this beer. I know that The Friendly Greek also has bottles for sale, so I may give that serving style a try. In the meantime, let me know if you would like me to score a CAN for you in trade for a CAN that I have not tried. Cheers!

Today is Saturday, 28 June 2014 and I have a bottle that had been held in abeyance which I am also going to review at this time.

From the bottle: "Here's a Brew! A Bavarin-style dark wheat"; "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Just for You! Enjoy the Gift of Holiday Cheer"; "Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color"; "Every drop of Shiner is brewed in Shiner"; "Happy Holidays from the 'Little Brewery' in Shiner, TX. We hope you enjoy your Shiner Cheer, an Old World Dunkelweizen brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans. The malty flavors of this dark wheat ale are enhanced through the use of malted barley and wheat. And Krausening ensures a smoothness hat makes the subtle peach and pecan flavors all the more satisfying. May your days be merry and bright and your Shiner be cold. Prosit!"; "Give one to someone you love!"

I appreciate that this beer had such wonderful patience in waiting for me to get around to drinking it. The pour began to foam up pretty quickly, so I backed off and let the pseudo-cascade do its thing before settling into two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with mahogany highlights (SRM = > 22, < 27) and NE-quality clarity. Man, but the nose was just redolent with peaches! Peachy keen, I say. I may run out and get a Tastykake Peach Pie after this. Mouthfeel was soft, kind of full and creamy and the taste was heavy on the peaches, but with a nuttiness, also. Finish was fruity, nutty, semi-sweet, but not over the top. Man, I could drink this year-'round!

4.72/5  rDev +33.7%

4.68/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As I love the smell of peaches and pecans together I can't help but be a little biased when it comes to this beer. I believe that Its an instant classic and doesn't disappoint. Its easily one of the best beers shiner makes and its a very good christmas/holiday/winter beer.

4.68/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Peachy keen!

4.64/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

4.63/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Shiner Holiday Cheer brewed by Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner, with an ABV of 5.40% This brew pours out a nice brown color with a nice off white head. The smell of Holiday Cheer is rich with grapefruit citrus, peaches. There is also a nice mix of grains,malts , and hops. It is different but in a good way. There is a lot going on in the smell of this brew. The smell of this brew is really inviting. Now for the taste, it is rich with flavors, you first pick up on the fruit sweetness. Then you pick up on the grains and malts. I really like how this brew pulls everything together. There is nothing overpowering about this brew, this brew has a super nice balance to it. I like how rich this brew is but yet it is so smooth . I can't get over how smooth this brew goes down. The month feel of Shiner Holiday Cheer is Bold, Rich , Clean, Smooth, and Refreshing. Overall I'm giving Shiner Holiday Cheer a 4.75 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner, did a real nice job with this brew. If you are looking for a different type of Holiday brew look this one up.

4.62/5  rDev +30.9%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

4.61/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner